May 09, 2024, 01:19:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Its official, I had my last drink

Started by jclark311, March 06, 2009, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

I recently switch from Budweiser to Sierra Nevada...I spend about the same money but drink alot less beer...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

RK101

Had my last drink 20+ years ago. Best thing I ever did.  Be ready to loose a few so called friends if your serious. Not to worry though you'll find new ones. :up:

For those who think there bullet proof. I wish you all the best.  :up:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

76shuvlinoff

March 07, 2009, 12:24:53 PM #52 Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:28:58 PM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote.....Cemeteries and jails are full of folks who thought they were bulletproof....

and woodsheds too,

... as was started earlier this thread is about supporting the OP, chest beating and penis measuring is not constructive. Thanks to the everyone that managed to stay on track.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RK101

I believe you have to drink every drink to get sober. Different people have different bottoms. Chances are though if you think you might have a problem with it then you probably have had a problem for quite some time, because the one with the problem is usually the last one to see it and admit it.

I don't drink, Because I had a problem with it, that caused me and others allot of pain. That does not mean that I have anything against others who can handle alcohol.  After a few years of sobriety I don't have a problem sitting with people who are drinking, but the minute I see it getting out of hand then I'm out of there. I don't judge them for what they want to do, it's there life but it not mine. I've been down that road and I'm not going down it again,it was to hard the first time to get off it. Sobriety is not just a life without alcohol,it's a state of mind.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

harley883r

Sure...............tell us in 90 days how ur do'in!
One Day At A Time
Muskokas ON

Topend

Good luck to ya!
I drink a few a year, so few I just say I don't drink. Many years ago when I started to get hangovers I said to myself  :wtf: this can't be good for the gray matter. Don't miss it a bit & still having a ball whereever I go. More $$$ left over @ the end of the month too.  :smiled:
Topend95
95 cu in, Andrews 37,  Supertrapp mufflers, 42mm Mikuni, SE/Heads, Crane 4HTC

JamLazyAss

I enjoy humor as much as the next guy.
But what is funny about a guy that feels he must kick the booze to the curb?

It's a shame that he post's about a personal "demon", says he's trying to straighten things around, and then get his balls roasted for it?

Why is it that some think it necessary to take pot shots at him?
Think that's what the biker brotherhood is about?
Quite a few members have become friends here.
I for one applaud his effort publicly in this forum.
And yes, I drink when I feel like it.

As for the people that feel the need to mock him, think about it.
Then post an apology. That, he does have coming.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Sonny S.

March 07, 2009, 05:13:43 PM #57 Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:27:08 PM by Sonny S.
Quote from: harley883r on March 07, 2009, 04:24:23 PM
Sure...............tell us in 90 days how ur do'in!

Is that what you would say if you had a son that was trying to quit drinking ? Never mind.... you probably would.

Just curious.....
Why do some of you have a problem with  people that choose to make positive changes in their life ?
Are we supposed to do the same dumb $hit at 50 that we did at 16 ?

Sonny S.

HroadhogD1

March 07, 2009, 07:51:25 PM #59 Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:33:03 PM by HroadhogD1
"Had my last drink 20+ years ago. Best thing I ever did.  Be ready to loose a few so called friends if your serious. Not to worry though you'll find new ones. Thumbs Up

For those who think there bullet proof. I wish you all the best.  Thumbs Up"

Be ready to loose a few friends because you quit drinking?  Maybe.  I have lost a lot of friends over the years because of their drinking.  I go to the cemetary to visit them now.
Good luck -you can do it!!

jclark311

Wow, thanks for all the positive replies guys, I do think the biggest problem is having fun without it. I have a real stress full job, they pay me well, but I really earn it. A lot of my drinking is with co workers, and from a career standpoint, I am going to lose business contacts, and promotions. But what am I going to do, ruin my life with a DWI, or accident. I was real lucky the other night, normally when I am in that condition, I will do something stupid, like drive. I think my luck has run out, and I dont want to chance F,,,,ING up again. So thats it, I am not doing it anymore. I have a good life, 3 kids, a great wife, 2 of the best grandchildren anybody could ask for. I think whenever I get tempted, I will think of them. I am going to start carrying pix of them to look at when I feel weak. Thanks again guys for all your support. I will be riding tomorrow in Jersey, Its going to be 65, think I will go to New Hope.

Jeffd

you can still stop off and drink with your co workers just order club soda instead.  You will find out that they never know you are not drinking and hopefully if you are not drinking you can tell when they have had enough so you won't let them drive, maybe save a life or two along the way.

jclark311

I think at least for the next few months that I wont go with them. Then depending on how I feel, I will give it a try.

JamLazyAss

Quote from: jclark311 on March 07, 2009, 08:35:41 PM
I think at least for the next few months that I wont go with them. Then depending on how I feel, I will give it a try.

Sounds like a good plan.
I have a feeling you can do whatever you set your mind to.
Don't be a stranger. Enjoy that ride. It's 40's and rain in Syracuse so no riding here yet.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

someday69

yea good luck with the sobritey,thing...I spent most of my life wasted,,,,been clean and sober for like 25yrs...just a few months ago I started drinking 4oz of red wine each night...read about it was good for the prostate,,and the heart.....so it's what Im doing now.
  I never went to a.a. Im just not much of a joiner...don't like to be told what to do...
   I think they would say you can never drink again or you'll end up a drunk loser again...well I hope not...but I;m just a hard case that goes my own way....now if I was'nt so forget full already,,,hell I'd start take'in a little hit of some bud once in a great while...say once a week on saterday night..just a small little bit...then no more till the next week....Im still think'in on that one..cause my memory is so bad now....it's a shame...
  I might give it try though...I think moderation is the key....but if you don't think you can do that moderation thing ...well ---forget=about'it.....

harley1450000

2001   ,last beer

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Sonny S.

Quote from: jclark311 on March 07, 2009, 08:35:41 PM

:up: :up: :up: that's a good start !!
You ain't missing nothing, and any of your friends that say ...awww come on man, just have one.... they don't have your best interest in mind.

sandrooney

I had a hard time when AA said you can never drink again, that makes it hard. Then one day after about 3 mos clean, I was sitting in the beer store parking lot, thinking I can't do this, never being able to drink again is to hard, then it dawned on me that's BS I can drink anytime I want, just go in and get it, I'm just not going to do it today, it was like the weight of the world was lifted, it got a lot easier after that. Just do it one day at a time, maybe even 5 minutes at a time, what ever works for you. Life is so much better sober. If your friends don't understand, then they aren't your friends.
SR
Remember one is to many and a hundred is not enough. Never start thinking you can have just one.
Patience is such a waste of time .

Sonny S.

>>>I had a hard time when AA said you can never drink again<<<

hmmm, isn't their message " one day at a time " ?
That's what I always heard...been workin for me since 03/03/87

ibltit

I started drinking on a regular basis, weekly if not daily, about 1969 and drank until 1989. I was drinking and driving with my two kids in the back seat, weaving on the interstate, when I got arrested for dui. That was my turning point. I had tried to quit drinking before that and just hadn't done it. I wen't to aa, that helped, but every person has to do what is right for them. For me it was realizing that what I wanted and what I felt was not the only thing in the world. Whatever works to quit. That's the key. NO MATTER WHAT, I WON'T DRINK AGAIN! I know where it leads. You got to play the picture in you're mind through to the end. What are the consequences.
Some people can drink and some people can't. I can't. Knowing that is being responsible.
I had been sober about 6 months and I started to think "I can drink just one beer when I get home from work". After about a week I thought "Two is not too much". The next week my brother came home from Desert Storm and him and I went out to the bars and I got hammered. I woke up the next morning and thought "What the f*&#k am I doing?". That was my last drink. Now my life is better and gets a little better every day. Go for it! More power to ya'!
Mike

sandrooney

>>>I had a hard time when AA said you can never drink again<<<

hmmm, isn't their message " one day at a time " ?
That's what I always heard...been workin for me since 03/03/87

I went to several meetings where it was said, don't ever think you can have just one, you can never drink again. But yes there motto is "one day at a time".
I guess I should have said people in the meetings, AA does preach one day at a time. My last drink was Nov. 20th 1991. And there were times in the beginning that I did it 5 min. at a time. What ever it takes.
SR

Patience is such a waste of time .

Clintster

I applaud the members efforts to support one another and share their experiences.   Seems the poster has a good start and many wise folks sharing, that is cool.  Hey maybe when you do decide you can hang and just have a soda, you can help one of the guys who shouldn't drive.  I recently had some meds I was taking that I could not drink on, I don't miss it.  So I have reached a point where I can have a couple over the course of the evening, but I wasn't always able to that.  I have found with an addictive personality it is a slippery slope, from doing the right thing to losing judgement.  Going for a long period of time not doing any of the self defeating behavior and then saying I can do this.  Well it does not take long to lose sight of the right thing.  It is a very individual thing, except when folks are out there putting others lives at risk.   
Drive fast, take chances

Big Dan

"One day at a time" sounds like a tired old cliche to many, but it works. I don't know that I'm strong enough to never drink again, and I make no promises. My wife has never known me to take a drink, but I tell her it could happen. There are no guarantees. That being said, I'm at least smart enough to know that if I don't drink today, I won't be miserable tomorrow... so today, I'm not going to drink. And yeah, it really is that simple.

jclark311, feel free to email or pm me if you need to vent. And don't take on the weight of "never again." It's way too big a load to carry. Just don't drink today, and you'll be fine.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

lonegoosehonking

Good for you. All my buds get their snoot on daily I never have been a during the week drinker. I have a couple on sat. night and other than that I need nothing more. People just lose control and thats where the trouble starts. Today with the increased focus on drunk driving its just too dangerous to get blitzed.

torque4me

Career stats:

up to 30 yrs old:
4 DUI's
13 Totalled cars
26 arrests
financial disaster
lawyer literally on retainer

Quit at 30:

1 speeding ticket in the 20 yrs since quitting.

Hmmmm.... I get chills thinking about how lucky I am!
"what the heck do I know?"