May 06, 2024, 12:24:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fork Removal, 1992 FLHTCU w/ anti-dive, etc

Started by 92flhtcu, March 07, 2009, 03:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92flhtcu

Hi, have the outer fairing, front wheel, radio and cluster off. Looks like the inner fairing and handle bars have to come off to remove the anti-dive device and get socket or wrench on the top fork nuts. just wanted to make sure that inner fairing and handlebar removal is necessary or am I missing a shortcut here, manual says they have to come off. Any tips??
Thanks in advance, Rob
Need a bigger garage

bigtone

Is there any particular reason you need to remove the tubes also? If you only need to remove the legs, you can do that while leaving the tubes in the trees.

Traveler733

Inner fairing doesn't need to be removed, but bars do. And end wrench will remove the nut from anti-dive valve. Careful with the o-rings... Loosen the triple tree clamps and slide the tubes down and tighten the clamps again to hold the legs for maintainance.  You need a metric allen in the bottom of the legs. An impact wrench helps a lot here.

92flhtcu

thanks guys
Bigtone-I figured out i can remove what i need to by removing the 6mm allen head on the bottom
Thanks again guys!
Rob
Need a bigger garage

flhs90

92flhtcu:

I purchased some new handlebar bushings. Just how tough is it to pull the dash on a 1990 FLHS. I do not have the fairing?
Any tips would be appreciated. I bought a fine tip screwdriver to undo the trip meter screw. Think it's just pull the allen's out of the dash and the trip screw. What challenges did you encounter when pulling the handlebars?
I've heard there's a 'lot of wiring jammmed in under the dash and want to be able to get everything back together."

Your ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

FLHS 90

Dave :rtfb: p.s. I do have the book, sometimes just need a bit of encouragement.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

92flhtcu

Dave, not having a FLHS(looking for one though!!) I'd say it has to be easier than a FLHT, I'm sure it is easy enough to follow in the manual. I took my bike waaaaay to far apart to reseal the front forks. when I got to my original question I ran up to my favorite local indy and he told me the shortcut. He also borrowed me the assembly tool to put back together. Now
I have to reassemble it, radio, cluster, outer fairing, etc. All was not wasted as I replaced the air hose from the bars to the left fork while I was in there.
Good Luck, Rob

ps Indy's name is Jamie's Custom's in Big Bend,WI and James is the serv mgr, great people!!
Need a bigger garage

bigtone

FLHS90, it's easy. Small philips head for the reset button, Remove the allens. Stick your hand up from the bottom and remove the speedo cable. Lifts right off. I spent some time on my FLT spreading the wires under the gauges, because I just didnt feel comfortable pushing down on the gauges to close it up. Now, I have plenty of room. Not sure if you can do that on yours, though. My wiring is custom because I converted from the fork mounted to the frame mounted fairing.

flhs90

BigTone:

That's the insider's tip I needed.
Still waiting on my regulator. Should be in tomorrow.
This ol bike has been a fun platform to learn about. Appreciate the fact that I can do it now with confidence.

Thanks, FLHS90 :up:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon