May 09, 2024, 02:06:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why does kicker blow my knee out?

Started by whetsel.m, April 15, 2014, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whetsel.m

I get the engine on compression stroke. Giver a good kid and 3/4 of the way thru it will let go and my knee will want to bend backwards. What is the cause? I won't be able to walk soon if I don't get this fixed.

96flhpi

It's designed to disengage at about the 7 o'clock position.  It that what you mean?

whetsel.m

Some times it will drop pit in any position.

96flhpi

Well then something's wrong.  Unless you pull the side cover you won't know what the problem is.  Is it one of those V-TWIN/TEDD deals? Bought that kit and within 2 years the only original part left was the kicker arm.

xlfan

Worn mainshaft @ the ''free Wheeling'' position.

xlfan

easyricer

These are the toughest kickers out there but you have to maintain them. If the ratchet is worn, it can skip and the kicker will fall away. If the spring is weak, the ratchet can fall away. If the shaft is bent, the kicker can fall away... are you getting the drift of it yet? Open it up and take a look. Ratchets should be sharp, gears should have all of their teeth, bushings should be round, nuts should be torqued and lock plates in tact and used.
I learned at a very early age to never lock my leg while kicking, leave the knee bent a little. I see several guys jumping up n down on their kicker, like it was a dirtbike with little to no plan on starting it, just hope she fires soon. I also watch people who don't kick all the way through. (these are the bikes that will soon be back on the market) On both of my bikes the kicker engages at about the 10 o'clock position and disengages at the 6 o'clock. It hits the stop at the 5:30 position.
If you have issues in the kicker cover, Andrews and Baker both make quality parts to get it right again. There are also still old stock HD parts to be found through dealers who actually care to look. S&S is also now getting into the game of replacement parts for our old gals.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

SideWalker

Quote from: easyricer on April 16, 2014, 05:11:20 AM
These are the toughest kickers out there but you have to maintain them. If the ratchet is worn, it can skip and the kicker will fall away. If the spring is weak, the ratchet can fall away. If the shaft is bent, the kicker can fall away... are you getting the drift of it yet? Open it up and take a look. Ratchets should be sharp, gears should have all of their teeth, bushings should be round, nuts should be torqued and lock plates in tact and used.
I learned at a very early age to never lock my leg while kicking, leave the knee bent a little. I see several guys jumping up n down on their kicker, like it was a dirtbike with little to no plan on starting it, just hope she fires soon. I also watch people who don't kick all the way through. (these are the bikes that will soon be back on the market) On both of my bikes the kicker engages at about the 10 o'clock position and disengages at the 6 o'clock. It hits the stop at the 5:30 position.
If you have issues in the kicker cover, Andrews and Baker both make quality parts to get it right again. There are also still old stock HD parts to be found through dealers who actually care to look. S&S is also now getting into the game of replacement parts for our old gals.
EASY

Easy
Speaking of strong kickers. I have RevTech 5 in a 4 kicker trans. It's new but I took the cover off to put in an old style heavy duty throw-out bearing. The kicker gears and cover support for the shaft look dam strong to me. You had any problems with them.
Sometimes I Think Then Do, Most Times I Do Then Think

easyricer

Only problem I've run into so far was the throw out bearing. Has not skipped or missed a beat since I put the new (old style) bearing in.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

HotRodShovel

I can't move my kicker, when its cold, unless I stiff leg it.  I need my body weight and really jump on it. Warm its a different animal.  When I get my compression releases installed my aging broken back will thank me. 
Thanks for the warm weather moving in. I can even feel that making it easier. 

Of course I can just fix my Bendix drive.   
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

SideWalker

April 16, 2014, 11:46:16 AM #9 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:01:31 PM by SideWalker
Quote from: hotrodshovel on April 16, 2014, 07:40:45 AM
I can't move my kicker, when its cold, unless I stiff leg it.  I need my body weight and really jump on it. Warm its a different animal.  When I get my compression releases installed my aging broken back will thank me. 
Thanks for the warm weather moving in. I can even feel that making it easier. 

Of course I can just fix my Bendix drive.   

John
My motor is just a .010 over 74 incher with 10:1 compression and it's hard to kick. Your 98 has to be a bitch. I'm curious to hear how kicking it with compression releases well workout, or are you going to use the starter. Do you have dual plugs?

HotRodShovel

The kicker is my back up.  I only kick it when the Bendix is not cooperating.  It sort of come and goes.  I am dual plugged.  When I do my valve train upgrade I'm really going to need the releases.  They will relieve a lot of strain from the battery and starter.
Interesting thing, you have high compression.  I still don't know what CR I actually have.  I'm guessing around 9:1.   I'll let you know how the releases effect the kicker.  Hopefully next month.

Just to clarify, cause I kind of drive myself nutz...I built my motor to be 96".  After I blew up the front piston, not once but twice, I'm bored to .60 over.  That squeaks out another 2 CI.   So its really a 96er.  The next cut will mean new jugs.   :banghead:
John

SideWalker

Quote from: hotrodshovel on April 16, 2014, 01:29:14 PM
The kicker is my back up.  I only kick it when the Bendix is not cooperating.  It sort of come and goes.  I am dual plugged.  When I do my valve train upgrade I'm really going to need the releases.  They will relieve a lot of strain from the battery and starter.
Interesting thing, you have high compression.  I still don't know what CR I actually have.  I'm guessing around 9:1.   I'll let you know how the releases effect the kicker.  Hopefully next month.

Just to clarify, cause I kind of drive myself nutz...I built my motor to be 96".  After I blew up the front piston, not once but twice, I'm bored to .60 over.  That squeaks out another 2 CI.   So its really a 96er.  The next cut will mean new jugs.   :banghead:

John
I should clarify also, the pistons are suppose too give me 10:1 compression. I did not CC the heads, measure the piston dome volume, check the deck height or the sweep volume of the cylinder. So I'm in the same boat you're in I don't really know.

HotRodShovel

Yeah, I think its a large fraternity.  But after all the talk, I really want to know. 
John

SideWalker

April 16, 2014, 06:46:40 PM #13 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:56:51 PM by SideWalker
Quote from: hotrodshovel on April 16, 2014, 02:31:00 PM
Yeah, I think its a large fraternity.  But after all the talk, I really want to know. 

John
I see Kirby is going to do some head work for you; he could CC them and tell you the volume. I'd like to know what your actual compression is compared to what it supposed to be with the pistons you have.

HotRodShovel

For sure. While he has them it makes sense for him to do it.
John