May 08, 2024, 03:00:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's the difference between ABS and non ABS bearings and wheels

Started by gryphon, April 16, 2014, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I'm looking to replace the front wheel and notice some say ABS bearing and others non ABS bearings. What is the difference and will it make a difference if I'm not going to be running ABS. Is there a difference in the rims too or just the bearings?

PoorUB

Quote from: gryphon on April 16, 2014, 05:46:19 PM
I'm looking to replace the front wheel and notice some say ABS bearing and others non ABS bearings. What is the difference and will it make a difference if I'm not going to be running ABS. Is there a difference in the rims too or just the bearings?

The only difference is the bearings.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

gryphon

Will it make any difference if I'm not going to be running ABS?

Coyote

Difference is bearings and spacers. You may need to change those as the ABS pickup sensor acts as a spacer. I'm not sure it's the same width as the non abs spacer is.

FSG

QuoteThe only difference is the bearings.

:agree:   

The ABS Bearing (18mm / .708") is wider than the normal bearing (15mm / .590") and on an ABS Bike the ABS Pickup is the actual axle spacer on the Front Left and Right Rear.

As you will be fitting the wheel up yourself you will be making your own spacers so IMO it'll make no difference to you what bearings are in the wheel you get.

That said, check if you can what year the wheel is off, bikes that came with the 9276 Non ABS Bearing had failures, especially on the '09, '10 and '11 right front wheel.  So it'd be better to get a later wheel or this would be a good opportunity to upgrade to the newer and better 9276A Non ABS Bearing before you fit up a wheel.

beachrider

The ABS bearings have a magnetic pickup in them to read wheel speed and rotation

FSG

Quote from: beachrider on April 18, 2014, 05:10:12 PM
The ABS bearings have a magnetic pickup in them to read wheel speed and rotation

No that is incorrect. The ABS Encoder Bearing has a magnet(s) on one side and while it can be installed either way from a bearing point of view, it must be installed one way for the ABS to function.  The ABS Pickup is the actual axle spacer on the Front Left and Right Rear.

If HD want to get serious and develop a better ABS then they will need to go to a Large Encoder Ring, perhaps incorporate it into the Brake Discs and put the Pickup into the Caliper Mounting. 

Grumpy : (

I found out there is a difference, I put non ABS wheels on my RG, well the local HD shop did.  Added a bit of expense to the bill that day.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

hardheaded

abs bearing is .12 wider than the non abs bearing. bearing and spacer must be changed.

FSG

While he didn't actually post it in this thread, Gryphon is fitting wheels to this (see the bike in the below thread) so it'll make no difference to him what the bearing actually is. 

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,72312.msg788335.html#msg788335

Wicked

Quote from: FSG on April 18, 2014, 06:52:01 PM
If HD want to get serious and develop a better ABS then they will need to go to a Large Encoder Ring, perhaps incorporate it into the Brake Discs and put the Pickup into the Caliper Mounting. 

[
That's true FSG - the '05 Police models and probably others had a serated disc rivited to the rotor. Much larger area for computations...

gryphon

Thanks for all the help. Since I'll be making my own spacers it looks like it won't make any difference which bearings are installed. Other than to possibly wanting to replace the bearings that FSG pointed out as having a history of problems.

Wicked

And if you can - non ABS brgs are considerably cheaper....

rageglide

Dredging this thread up as it's on topic and so far can't find the answer.

I will be installing an ABS wheel on my non-ABS 2012 Roadglide in a couple weeks.  I'm hoping to deal with the spacer size change ahead of time so I can R & R in one shot, Nascar style  :smilep:

Does anyone know the length of the ABS Sensor?   Would prefer an actual number vs just cutting .12 off the 41901-08 oem spacer.  I'll have access to a lathe this weekend...   

Thanks in advance.

topcat3815

IN both the abs and non abs bearing and spacer kits the spacer between the bearing has the same part number. The ones Ive measured are the same lengths in both abs and non abs kits.

rageglide

Everything I've read says the bearing spacer between the bearings is the same.  The Right side spacer is the same ABS or non-ABS.  The Left spacer on a non-ABS bike is replaced with a Sensor that doubles as a spacer on ABS bikes because the bearing is .12" wider (per FSG comment above).

I'd like to know what the Sensor length is because I'd like to cut my existing spacer to the same size. 

The alternative of buying a non-abs bearing will be a last resort.  I don't have access to a Lathe normally, but this weekend I will. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rageglide on October 08, 2014, 05:24:47 PM
Everything I've read says the bearing spacer between the bearings is the same.  The Right side spacer is the same ABS or non-ABS.  The Left spacer on a non-ABS bike is replaced with a Sensor that doubles as a spacer on ABS bikes because the bearing is .12" wider (per FSG comment above).

I'd like to know what the Sensor length is because I'd like to cut my existing spacer to the same size. 

The alternative of buying a non-abs bearing will be a last resort.  I don't have access to a Lathe normally, but this weekend I will.

:scratch:

If the all the spacers are same except the right and the ABS bearing is 0.120 wider.. Don't you just cut 0.120 off the stock spacer?

Max

JohnCA58

YOLO

FSG

QuoteI'd like to know what the Sensor length is because I'd like to cut my existing spacer to the same size.

I'd like someone to put a mic/vernier to a sensor as well to verify the width.

I've just measured the PM Spacer for use with their ABS Encoder at 3.5mm (.138") but have never measured or seen that another has measured the thickness of the HD Encoder.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,77108.msg849672.html#msg849672

rageglide

May very well be ok to cut .120" off.  I'm very confident that FSGs measurements are on the money.  But since I'll be shooting in the dark I just figured it'd be a nice double check and cut once situation.