May 08, 2024, 09:19:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1200 pushing oil + strange noise

Started by Maxxx, April 17, 2014, 07:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxxx

hello, i have a 2001 XL1200s it has the 7800 rpm SE box in it and i do hit it once and awhile. my back cylinder is pushing some oil getting some smoke and oil dripping out by exhaust port somewhere. after a 1 hr ride several drops. it also has a  strange ticking from top end comes and goes. any ideas? head gasket, broke ring? I'm going to tear down soon just wondering what i should look for? 27.000 miles just changed over to syn oil and seams like my problems started  after that?  :scratch:   thx for any input...

Panzer

Rear rocker box leak, oil showing up on the chrome chain case?
Wind, when riding, will spray it all around and back on the battery box cover.
Just saying.

Ticking noise  :nix:

See also >>> "Sequeal to leaking rocker boxes" in this listing.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Maxxx

it drips off of exhaust flange at head. i can pull plug and top of piston is wet with oil. i will check rocker cover . i think may have exhaust leak at head. may be my tick off and on? :idunno:

Panzer

Makes sense of what you're saying about exhaust leak.....ticking, but that's not the cause of oil on top of piston.
How many miles do you have on the bike?
Might be time to rebuild with new rings and valve seats.
Of course you'll do both while she's down.
IMHO, i'd fix the exhaust leak first with a new seal, then do your oil leak check.
Spray those stud bolts well with a good lube...let sit for awhile and spray again.
Don't strip those studs.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Maxxx

27.000 miles on it but thay are hard miles. yes im thinking a top end rebuild time also. it has 10 to 1 comp  i have to run 92 oct fuel to run right with the cams. do you think if i go to 10.5 to 1 there would be much of a difference? :fish:

Panzer

If you hit the limiter often, then yes, you're riding it hard.
I'm thinking, although riding it hard & 27k on the clock, I wouldn't think you need to rebuild the top end.
It would be a different story if you had 65-75k hard miles. (i'm just thinking out loud)
How much oil are you showing on the piston and what color is the plug?
Again............fix the exhaust leak first and go from there before you tare it down.
Just my .02

Maxxx

Sounds like a plan to me, I will try that first. It has the 2 plugs per cylinder heads. All plugs are black, it runs rich was that way when I got the bike and I never messed with it. It looked like the top of piston was wet but no puddles. If I knew that syn oil was going to cause problems like this I never would have switched over.

Panzer

What oil are you using Maxx?

You can always switch back.
Keep us posted well ya?
Have a Great Easter!!

Maxxx

thank you. i started with Valvoline 20w 50 syn. then switched to hd 20w50 syn.
i was told years ago that once you switched to synthetic oil that you could not go back to regular oil. is this not true?

Panzer

April 19, 2014, 11:54:11 AM #9 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:59:45 AM by Panzer
NOT TRUE.

Maxx,
I think I'm older then you, so I'll say..........years ago, the saying was, if you used "non detergent" (dino oil) don't switch over to a detergent oil.
The thinking behind that was that the detergent oil would eventually scrub away the carbon that sealed ring lands, valve seats and valve guides.
Then the vehicle would start to burn and leak oil.   And old wives tail?? Who's to say.  I'm old school, so I never bucked the rational and stayed with non detergent dino oil in my car.    Again, that was years ago mind ya.

When I bought my bike (new) in 07' HD shipped with dino oil in her.   The dealer told me on the next oil change, switch over to full syn, that I would realize a 2-3 mile increase in gas milage.
Baloney, that never happened, but reading here on HTT of how many are using Mobil 15w50 and 20w50 I switch to just that, Mobil 15w50, from Wal-Mart.  (when you can find it there).

Again Maxx, in my honest opinion, with the technology going into oil these days, the full syn is good as it gets and I don't believe the oil you're using caused your leak.......it was just its time.
Another thing Maxx, yes you can change back to the dino oil you were using at any time, if you feel more comfortable with it.
Someone is feeding you old school thinking and hasn't changed their mind set.
They've been eating to much baloney and it settled in their brain.

PM me if you like, for more info about oil.
Think today's technology and you'll be on track.
Good riding brother,

Panzer

Maxxx

ogreswanna

I just picked up a '99 sporty with a 1200 kit last weekend. It had 7664 miles on it. Rode it from Tucson to Los Angeles. Loud knock in the front cylinder upon arrival. I had the oil changed to Mobil 1 synth before I left AZ. Got the news from a full tear down yesterday that the pistons were slapping just a bit. They were mismatched when the 1200 kit was put in. As the bike was barely ridden the problem didn't become evident until I mashed on her. I also hit the limiter when I encountered the 30 mph headwind in Desert hot springs and that's when the knock started. I agree with the others that the exhaust leak should be addressed first and hopefully that fixes your situation. Good luck.

Maxxx

well the exhaust seal was the noise i guess. but the smoking was getting to me so i pulled the top end apart to see what was up. looks like the oil is running down the exhaust valve.
any suggestions on a good place to order guides and exh valves? Harley wants $8.72 each. for guides.
since i have it apart in going to put rings, guides, exh valves, new head bolts.
everything looks better than i thought it would  :up:. i was thinking about s&s gaskets. never used them.

Panzer

I haven't heard of anyone complain about S&S parts.
Good luck with the build.

Maxxx

August 16, 2014, 11:19:29 AM #14 Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:00:21 PM by Maxxx
I went ahead and put in 10 over weisco pistons. and rebuilt the heads.. doing break in now and runs strong. the guides were my problem with the smoke for sure.  :up:
I also found out that all s&s gaskets are made by cometic..  :scratch:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]