April 27, 2024, 11:42:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

crack in cases

Started by cantho870, November 07, 2008, 04:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cantho870

I was getting ready to replace cylinders and pistons after finding broken compression ring on back cylinder and i discovered a small crack between the front and back cylinder behind the lifter blocks that runs just under the case bolt. has any one seen this before. I'm guessing it has been there for approx 4 years . I have always had a small seep and i thought it was base gaskets. is it a bad idea to keep running motor . this thing is killing me. 95 fxsts. I got alot of new parts in this thing.

Trip

More common than you know..your choices are to replace or weld..but if you weld..you,ll spend hour$$ truing up the boss again...one other suggestion, and its a good way to go if you can swing it..is to buy a Factory Re-Man motor...they come back perfect...very perfect. ..@24-2900$.

Pilgrim

Trip's right about truing up the boss if you do it yourself.

But a good machinist can straighten it out pretty quick unless some brain-dead idjit overheated everything as he welded it.  It doesn't have to be bad, but know your guy.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

dave_9113

Can you take a picture and post it?

There were weak cases on Evos, but mainly '89-90 years.  Harley replaced many.  Best option is newer and stronger aftermarket case.

dave

ModelABob

Reading about welding on bottom end cases brought back an old memory.  Years ago in the town I use to live in
me and a budding went to the local welding shop to get some small thing welded.  Lying on the floor of the shop
were two complete (rods, wheels, etc.) Harley bottom ends, one sportster and one big twin.  They both had been
completely welded up where the cases join!!!! :dgust: :cry:  Unreal!  Asked the welder what's going on? He said that just some guy came in and wanted them welded up.  I guess that was one way to prevent oil wheeping at the case
split...... :crook:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

cantho870

I have had everything apart on this bike  except the cases. will all my innerds fit in a delkron case. any special tools needed. I know i can, i know i can. bottom end has approx 80.000. oil changed regularly.  Thanks guys for all the input.