May 06, 2024, 01:00:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Assembly a Tool Kit for Road Trips

Started by flhs90, March 07, 2009, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evo Riders:

I am in the process of assembling a Road Trip "toolkit."

I would appreciate any feedback. I am using the Cruz tool kits as a model for my inspiration.

So far:

Rachet, sockets, screwdrivers, torx, hex, sparkplugs, qt. oil, .....rags, .....

:smiled:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

bigtone

Cheap pocket volt/ohm meter. These always come in handy.

Grayrider

Adjustable with a few feet of duct tape wrapped around the handle, small vice grips, about 6- 6" nylon ties with a foot of 18ga wire wrapped around them, multi purpose pliars with knife.
My heritage seat needs a 3/8" allen wrench to remove it, I make sure I have that wrench. Breakers, battery and ground wires are all under the seat! Rear Axle covers also require a specific small allen wrench to remove, that one as well.
Any size wrench specific to your bike where you might need to pull a wheel, seat, or ??? 
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

guido4198

In my humble opinion...unless you have a reason to suspect your scoot might drop a bunch of oil all of a sudden...( in which case, you might want to re-think the whole road-trip thing...) I've found that carrying an extra quart of oil is a waste of space. Over the years on the road, I've tried to stay away from using oils that are so exotic that I can't find'em about anywhere I happen to wake up. Watch your oil consumption, and add as necessary, if necessary. Depending on how your set-up...if you have a carb...see if you need a real short screwdriver to drop the bowl. You can get stuff in the bowl that'll clog jets from crappy gas stations, floats stick, etc,etc. SMALL vise grips...that one is worth saying again. Radio Shack used to sell a real small digital multi-meter for cheap money that I've found useful a coupla times tracing loose or broken wires. I carry a mini-mag lite in my tool bag, along with a spare set of AA batteries for it, and spare bulb. Stuff don't always happen in daylight.  If your riding an older Evo like me, with a part known as "clutch release finger" @ the end of the clutch push rod....CARRY AN EXTRA ONE. Easy road-side fix if you happen to have one of these small, inexpensive parts in your saddlebag...without it, you're done. 

96FLSTF

don't wait to find out the hard way like I did,
If you plan to carry a set of spare spark plugs and they are Autolites, they are not the typical 5/8 or 13/16 size. Autolites are 18mm.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

crazylore

04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

gryphon

There are some nuts and bolts that require overly large wrenches. The rear axle nut for instance. It's not convenient to carry a large wrench so I carry crows foot wrenches. They look like the end of an open end wrench but have a square hole for a ratchet. They're pretty small even in the large sizes but as soon as you put them on your ratchet or breaker bar you have a full sized wrench.

guido4198

Gene...
I'm currently running Autolite AP65's and they are 13/16's.
ALSO...if you can...carrying a 12" crescent and a full sized set of vise grips ain't all bad, but folks tell me I carry waayyy too much stuff. Ah Well...
Did we talk about the tire plug kit, and mini-air compressor...???!! Yea...got that too. 

Evo160K

These are not tools, but critical: an extra inner tube (dealer may be closed, try to find a 21" tube over Labor Day) if you have a spoke wheel and an extra headlight bulb.  I carry 30' of rolled up seat belt webbing for a tow strap.  If you carry it, be sure to know the correct way to use it.  I also carry a small clear hose for a siphon.  If your engine bore is unusual, carry the correct head and base gaskets, (other unusual items also) otherwise you'll sit at a dealer for days waiting for them.  I put them in the pages of my SM.

96FLSTF

Quote from: guido4198 on March 08, 2009, 10:20:05 AM
Gene...
I'm currently running Autolite AP65's and they are 13/16's.
ALSO...if you can...carrying a 12" crescent and a full sized set of vise grips ain't all bad, but folks tell me I carry waayyy too much stuff. Ah Well...
Did we talk about the tire plug kit, and mini-air compressor...???!! Yea...got that too. 

Your right, My brain Fart.
The 4265s I run in my evo are 13/16, was my TC that used the metric autolite plug (I had both bikes with me at the time. Son was on the evo & me on my newer RK).

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

paulkay

March 08, 2009, 01:54:33 PM #10 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:05:00 PM by paulkay
Crescents on the bike are wide opening, Channel-loc has a little sweetie 8" that opens to 1.5". Bar or stop to pull pulleys or clutch, two sockets and ratchet, and electrical stuff. Had to rebuild wiring twice in Sturgis, got real happy with gas soldering iron and mini-torch to handle soldering and heat shrink.

After second wiring tank got greeted by die grinder at home.

ramcr913

Tool roll depends if I'm on the shovel or on the EVO. But either way I carry a 12 inch Crescent wrench. It comes in handy if you run into a loose nut that needs to be tightened up a bit...

Mark222

When I ride my old Evo I carry the hard to find stuff.  Spare Dyna2000 single fire ingtition, spare single fire crane 3.0 ohm coil.  That covers the hard to find parts you can change on the side of the road.  I then carry the basic 5 open / box combo wrenches, a full set of allen wrenches, spare plugs, socket and ratchet and a phillips and std screwdriver.  And an assortment of wire zip ties too. Then so small stuff, like linkage "C" clips and stuff like that with little space used.  Short of losing a stator I will be able to fix the electrical stuff.  I have done some roadside repairs over the years and the best little known fact all might use is that the tools you don't carry you can borrow at any autozone or pep boys.  They have been very good to me at times.  You don't need to carry a tool box when they are open.  Asking your HD dealer to loan a tool is always good for a laugh.  Been there, been told I was "just on my own".  Times have changed.  And to think they sell these things thinking we will come back to them to buy another after they are so helpful (NOT!).  But I digress.......................................................

Mark