May 06, 2024, 12:02:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

what's best for cleaning chrome?

Started by dynaglide, March 07, 2009, 06:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynaglide

My bike has been stored for about a year and half, outdoors but under a roof and a cover.  The chrome is heavily tarnished with some light surface rust in spots.  What's good for cleaning it up?  I used to like Mother's polish for routine cleaning, but it doesn't seem to be getting the job done in removing all of the tarnish.  Does Simichrome, or something else, work better?

HenryJ

I have had good luck with NAVAL JELLY.

xxxflhrci

JamLazyAss

Girlfriend with small brain and big muscles.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

apendejo

Quote from: xxxflhrci on March 07, 2009, 06:48:27 PM
SOS pad and lots of water.
Good for that "Brushed Stainless Steel" look.
AP

Big Dan

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

rihdrkc

Mike52

Quote from: dynaglide on March 07, 2009, 06:42:22 PM
My bike has been stored for about a year and half, outdoors but under a roof and a cover.  The chrome is heavily tarnished with some light surface rust in spots.  What's good for cleaning it up?  I used to like Mother's polish for routine cleaning, but it doesn't seem to be getting the job done in removing all of the tarnish.  Does Simichrome, or something else, work better?

Dynaglide, you will be amazed at what 0000 steel wool will do for your chrome, pick up a bag at any Home Depot, Lowes or hardware, look in the paint dept. It needs to be 0000 (4 zeros), this is very fine steel wool, it will not scratch the chrome finish. This is used in most dealerships in their detail dept. I use it regularly, especially for boot smudges on pipes.

Mike

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

xxxflhrci

Quote from: apendejo on March 07, 2009, 07:06:16 PM
Quote from: xxxflhrci on March 07, 2009, 06:48:27 PM
SOS pad and lots of water.
Good for that "Brushed Stainless Steel" look.
AP

Yeah, what was I thinking.  Do not use SOS pads on a Harley's crappy chrome.  It will work fine on anything else, though.

jmanjeff

Fast Orange with Pumice  works great
1957  Sportster

Clintster

What you want to remember there is only so much material there, chrome.  In the process of removing the rust, you don't want to put marks in the remaining chrome that will not come out.  All of the suggestions here are good, do a small less obvious spot, so you can see what your trying is going to do to whats left.  Just do a small area first, with whatever your trying.  I have had good results on SOS and lots of water, but super fine steel wool if you need to be careful.  Some bikes have more chrome depending on age and how they have been cared for.  :wink:
Drive fast, take chances

zj1182

Don't do this at home...

I tried Simichrome and it converted a mirror finish to a duller flat finish.  Luckily I did it on a small area to check, and stopped before it got out of hand.  That's not like me, I usually am less cautious...LOL!

zj

scoopfraser

I've found that Blue-Job works well. 

http://www.blue-job.com/

DON'T use Autosol...it's got too much grit for chrome but works well on polished aluminum IME.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

CrazyRay

Quote from: Mike52 on March 07, 2009, 08:05:37 PM

Dynaglide, you will be amazed at what 0000 steel wool will do for your chrome, pick up a bag at any Home Depot, Lowes or hardware, look in the paint dept. It needs to be 0000 (4 zeros), this is very fine steel wool, it will not scratch the chrome finish. This is used in most dealerships in their detail dept. I use it regularly, especially for boot smudges on pipes.

Mike

don't waste your money on a bunch of chrome "polish". steel wool is all you need. 
000 will work as well, just be careful.

BadDawg

Dupont chrome polish in the auto section at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.   Real cheap and does a good job.

03deuce

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish.  You can use it with the 0000 steel wool.

boooby1744

Bulit

Steel wool, 0000  is what I use with a bucket of soapy water. I wash the bike at the same time so it's easy to do all at once. Just don't use the same bucket, I have 2 separate buckets.

x52gnr

2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Tsani

DuPont No. 7 Chrome polish and cleaner.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

apes

ramcr913

I like the Turtle Wax chrome polish. Cheap and it works as good as anything else I've tried.

L-

Since it is tarnished and not just dirty then the steel wool is the best as has been pointed out.   You can get 5-0 also.  This is good stuff for removing water stains on auto glass also. 

L-

apendejo

I have the leftovers of a plastic bag on the front exhaust heat shield. I have tried just about everything. It is still there. I am going to try Easyoff oven cleaner blotted on with a rag. Anyone ever tried this?
AP

Mike52

Quote from: apendejo on March 08, 2009, 06:18:17 PM
I have the leftovers of a plastic bag on the front exhaust heat shield. I have tried just about everything. It is still there. I am going to try Easyoff oven cleaner blotted on with a rag. Anyone ever tried this?
AP

Tony, try the steel wool, it really works but will take a little time with a melted plastic bag, Easyoff will ruin the paint if any gets on it!!!

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net