May 03, 2024, 09:17:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

No brake light?

Started by jerite, March 08, 2009, 07:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerite

Hey all-
Don't have a brake light, but I do have a tail light.Before I start dismantling things I was wondering if anyone has a trick or two up there sleeve. I like to keep it simple and start with the basics.
I know it sounds like a dumb question, but sometimes I cant see the forest thru the trees.
Thanks in advance.
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

76shuvlinoff

Check the bulb first.

Year and model?  Front brake or rear brake ?

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

jerite

shuvilin-
83 FLH.
Both f and r.
Jer

76shuvlinoff

got the manual and a 12 volt probe?

Assuming the bulb is ok

Not so sure on your bike but on my 76 there are 2 seperate circuits.
The handlebar switch for the front is a pos.. see if there is power to it and then out of it when released.
The rear is a hydraulic screw in unit, if you have power to it with the ignition on but no power out of it when you hit the peddle it needs replacing. They sell em at VW bug or dune buggy shops for around $8-$10.

good luck
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hgailey

If you've got a hydraulic switch on the rear brake pull the wires and touch them together. If the light lights the switch is probably toast. If it doesn't light the bulb or socket could be the problem. If the bulb lights from the first test there must also be a problem with the front switch. Assuming it's a stock shovel switch it's a pos and rarely lasts very long. I've rewired mine to a hydraulic at the t-block under the triple trees.
78 FX - DAILY RIDER NICE WEATHER; 02 FXDX DAILY RIDER OTHER WEATHER

springer-

Start at the source and work your way back.  Check for voltage at the light bulb connections when the brake is applied.  Then follow it back .. a wiring diagram is extremely helpful.

blackbeard 60

did you check the blinker fluid :hyst:

jerite

Blackbeard-
Holy crap! I realized I did not have any blinkers. So i bought some,  installed them and then checked the blinker fluid....ta-da brake light!!
Thanks.
Jer

dablaze

Lol!

Lost my tail light last year, looked at the light and it was 3/4 filled with what I thought was water...but maybe I just put the blinker fluid in there by accident...hadn't rained in over a week.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle