September 20, 2024, 05:26:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New shiny bits...

Started by CraigArizona85248, May 01, 2014, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigArizona85248

I've been running this tiny air cleaner for a couple years.

I figured I'd try this S&S air cleaner. I'm pretty sure it will breath better and filter better. Still running the CV40 carb.

Deye76

:up: Oil changes should be further apart now. Little one does look cool, but for a daily driver the larger more practical.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

CraigArizona85248

That was my thinking too.  I loved the look of the tiny air cleaner, the way it didn't block the view of the engine.  But the engineer in me never liked the efficiency and effectiveness.

-Craig

saddle tramp

Nice looking bike. I like the larger air cleaner, it may cover some of the engine but it should work much better. I hate seeing an engine chocked down with a small air filter just for looks.

CraigArizona85248

Choked down is a good description. I figured I'd open it up real good on the ride home today and it did feel like it was winding up easier at the top of the RPM range.

Does anyone know what the cover on the S&S is made of?  It's pretty thick at the edge which makes me think it's aluminum.

-Craig

FSG

Will a fridqe magnet stick to it?

rigidthumper

Backing plate used to be pot metal, outer cover aluminum. Not sure if that's the case. BTW, who makes those pipes? I need a set for my 48 :')
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

saddle tramp

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on May 02, 2014, 05:02:34 PM
Choked down is a good description. I figured I'd open it up real good on the ride home today and it did feel like it was winding up easier at the top of the RPM range.

Does anyone know what the cover on the S&S is made of?  It's pretty thick at the edge which makes me think it's aluminum.

-Craig
I believe it is aluminum I know the older one's where.

CraigArizona85248

May 02, 2014, 07:17:48 PM #8 Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:26:37 PM by CraigArizona85248
Quote from: FSG on May 02, 2014, 05:23:01 PM
Will a fridqe magnet stick to it?

A very strong magnet won't stick. But I wasn't sure it it was stainless.

Rigid & pigfixer, thanks for confirming its aluminum. And yes, definitely pot metal for the backing plate.

The pipes are made up of three parts... Paughco upsweeps, Paughco 22" mufflers, Paughco fishtails. I had them all welded together so I wouldn't have to deal with leaks around the clamps. I think they now make the mufflers with the fishtails built in. I added the mounting tab to the rear pipe that bolts to a stud I welded onto the oil tank. Does a great Jo of keeping the rear pipe tight to the head.

-Craig

rigidthumper

Thanks. Need the upsweep head pieces, found 80" chrome extensions for the pipe idea I have.  Flapper valves on top. Kinda like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EeC_YB3QI-E/T0Q1EpXKulI/AAAAAAAAEOI/QqfoYBtSy6I/s640/Best-Panhead-1.jpg
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

garyajaz

we talked of this a few years ago.
I looking at tiny air inlet and mentioned it.
you said something like its not a race bike...and rightfully said other air cleaners would block view of engine.
of all the others to pick from you made a good choice.  I have that same cleaner on my ol ironhead.
classic and they do work.

good you came around and took the cork out of the intake tract.
can you feel any difference in power?

(next we will have you stroking it)

did you make a support bracket?

CraigArizona85248

Doesn't really feel like I have a lot more power.  But I can tell that it winds up into the higher RPMs easier.  It's still no race bike.  I wasn't unhappy with the performance before, but I felt guilty because I'm sure that little foam filter wasn't doing a great job of cleaning the air.  The new filter will do a much better job of that.

Funny you ask about the support bracket.  I'm stopping by Chandler Custom Cycle on the way home today to pickup the materials to make a new support bracket.

-Craig

Blazing Saddles

Hey Craig: I have a shiny item that might be perfect for you  as a truly dedicated Pan Man. I'm going to be riding down to Vegas then Tucson, Bisbee etc. before spending a day or so in PHX visiting friends before we ride back to Calgary. Shoot me a PM at:
losthighway@shaw.ca and I could send you a pic via text.

Cheers!

Tom