May 07, 2024, 05:11:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

5in4 clutch arm

Started by bob_e95482, March 08, 2009, 07:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_e95482

Got my rebuilt motor in, inner primary, RevTech 5in4 tranny, all shimmed and bolted up. The clutch arm does not line up for a straight pull with the stock clutch cable bracket. I'm thinking I might have to reposition the clutch cable bracket(cut and weld). It would have to go in closer to the seat post? What did any of you other guys do?

76shuvlinoff

After putting in my Rt 5/4 I had to do a little clearancing on that seat post bracket so the cable would not rub.
After talking to one of the other guys here (shovelsoft and btw where the heck is he?) I heated up the end of the clutch arm and bent it a little to help line it up. May not be necessary but it gives a straighter pull. Plays hell with the chrome on it but it's all out of site under my FLH battery so I painted the burned part.

Good luck
   Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bob_e95482

I'm also going to a wrap-around oil tank, and the clutch arm is very visible. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bend it. Thanks, Mark.

76shuvlinoff

March 08, 2009, 07:43:51 AM #3 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:24:24 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 With different seat post brackets I think you can run that cable down the other side and maybe get a straighter pull that way? It seems like I explored that route but I was running a crossover or true dual header pipes and they got in the way.

edit to add:  this could require shortening the arm.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

bob_e95482

Here's where I was at a couple of weeks ago.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

springer-

I believe one of the recommended modifications to fit the "4 in a 5" is to bend the clutch arm.

bob_e95482

I cut the end off, repositioned it, and welded it back on.