May 08, 2024, 12:19:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mounting Evo front oil filter mount; rookie questions

Started by 1982fxr, May 04, 2014, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

ok, so I have put a 1998 evo in my 1982 FXR.  The stock 82 FXR has an oil filter mount underneath the trans.  I got a factory HD front mount so I could do away with that.  I have a parts manual but not service manual just yet.  I have all the correct seals, ferrules, hardlines, etc.

On the 2 nuts that hold the hard lines up into the filter mount itself--do you dress them with anything--pipe dope, etc??

Any other tips on installing this?  Seems this whole system just works on compressing the rubber bushing/ferrules...is ''snug'' the amount of torque I am after with the 2 nuts at the filter mount and the one at the fitting coming off the pump?

thanks

turboprop

You want to use the under trans mount for the oil filter. It is much easier to change the filter and less messy with the under trans mount. I suspect that harley eliminated it in later years as a cost cutting measure and to commonize the engine assembly process.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

1982fxr

I already have almost $60 in this front one, so I'm gonna run it.  If I don't like it that much I can always switch back...I'll get one of those funnel thingys ya put under the filter

turboprop

Yea, my tip is not to install that front oil filter mount. Use nipple barb fittings, rubber hose and clamps to plumb the under trans mount. Thats the tip.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Rugby_fxdwg

I second turbos idea...you already have a better setup.
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

stroker800

I put an evo in a 82 fxrs last year..cant remember if head or case breather..used factory set up..worked fine...But to help you out...I like to use new rubbers in the housings..no pipe sealant needed...do not over tighten....I use the clamps that bolt to case bolts to secure..Make sure you have the flow goin correct direction thru filter...if not ...drain back valve will stop flow...blow lines off pump...
Dave