May 03, 2024, 07:13:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What Flywheels Do I have?

Started by 96flhpi, March 08, 2009, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but order of timing marks looking through hole with flywheels rotating counter-clockwise should be advance, then about 1/4 turn and rear TDC right before the pin and front TDC right after the pin, right?  Scoot is an '82 FLH.

If that's right, I've got two dots side by side (infinity sign) in the middle of the hole for advance, a single dot low in the hole for rear TDC and a verticle line for front TDC.  No other marks visible through hole.  Book says infinity should be rear advance but if so I've got no front advance mark.  Also positions aren't right - single dot should be high (and be advance mark, but it's too close to the pin to be advance on mine), infinity should be low in the hole.

Anyone know what wheels these might be.  Only asking cause it's converted to points and I can't static time to advance - I have one of those things that locks the cam in the advanced position.  If I use single dot that is supposed to be advance the cam is past the points no matter how much I retard it, if I use the infinity sign cam can't reach no matter how much I advance it.  I've got it static timed to TDC (w/o advancing cam of course) and it seems to run fine.  Would like to get in there w/ a timing light but don't want to get face full of oil chasing it down when I don't even know what mark to use.  Can I static time to rear cyl advance IF that's what the infinity sign is?

PO said that scoot had a top and bottom rebuild 2000 miles before I bought it - no receipts so I figured he's just trying to sell bike, especially since w/ 30K miles didn't know why it would need bottom redone - price was right so bought it anyway.  Took down top end this winter to take care of some leaks and it came apart so easy and looked so clean that he was probably telling the truth, at least about top end.  Also found some scoring in the cam chest that makes me think something catastrophic may have happened and maybe bottom was done as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.  Thanks in advance.  BTW, got the first putt of the year in yesterday, and another's coming today - it's good to be back!!!

baldoldfxr

Just looked in my old manuals (dont trust my memory)82 should have a single dot hi in the hole for front advance,
infinityor lazy8 as some books call it is rear advance ,
vertical line is front tdc apart from1979/80 when its front advance.
a single dot low in the hole is front tdc on 1979/80.
If you've got the single dot low in the hole (& its not a hole drilled to balance the crank) then its a late 79 early 80 crank & the vertical line is your front advance timing mark .
also make sure the points cam spindle is located on its little pin on the end of the cam I've seen them mangled before.
hope this helps as I've just read it myself & its confused the **** out of me.

96flhpi

Thanks, thought about that too, but like I said both single dot and vertical line are right at either side of the pin (can see where the outer ridge thins out to make room for the nut that holds the pin) so I don't think either is advance mark.  Also they are literally about three inches away from each other.  Advance mark that is 35 degrees ahead of pin couldn't be so close.

Double checked points cam both when I originally installed it and again when I put eveything back together after winter projects and it's together right, course that doesn't mean it was made correctly.

baldoldfxr

Another way would be get a TDC type gauge lift the pushrod covers & get the front cyclinder on the firing stroke from tdc wind it back the reqiured amount (someone on here will have the measurement) & if no marks show then carefully punch your own on the flywheel.

Trouble

When trying to help out a bud a few years ago, I ran into a similar situation and found, I believe, that the flywheels had been changed to S&S with markings different from the H-D factory's.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever