May 08, 2024, 05:05:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I'm new to this Sportster stuff...

Started by stro1965, March 08, 2009, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

March 13, 2009, 06:57:40 AM #25 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:16:19 PM by Panzer
stro1965 ...........hold on a minute.......please.

I have an 07 sporty 1200 Custom...........great bike!
MHO...don't make any changes yet, other then the ez-pull.
I (just me) found no problem with the clutch pull, but I'm male.
Don't go just yet with the bushing thing on the bars.
If it's vibration you're concerned (you tell me before I explain) about I have a real easy fix.

You guys make me feel like a panzy, like having a womans bike....NOT.
The 1200 sporty has all the power you will ever need, just ask me.
Have 9K on mine and love it.

Get back to me stro1965, in the meantime hold up.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

96FLSTF

Quote from: Panzer on March 13, 2009, 06:57:40 AM
stro1965 ...........hold on a minute.......please.

I have an 07 sporty 1200 Custom...........great bike!
MHO...don't make any changes yet, other then the ez-pull.
I (just me) found no problem with the clutch pull, but I'm male.
Don't go just yet with the bushing thing on the bars.
If it's vibration yiou're concerned (you tell me before I explain) about I have a real easy fix.

You guys make me feel like a panzy, like having a womans bike....NOT.
The 1200 sporty has all the power you will ever need, just ask me.
Have 9K on mine and love it.

Panzer

Get back to me stro1965, in the meantime hold up.

Just to confirm the bushing deal, it is not meant to fix a vibration problem that is caused by some other mechanical failure such as a loose motormount, alignment, etc. and your new sporty shouldn't have any. These rubber mounted sportys shouldn't thrash unless something is wrong.  It is merely meant to dampen the inherent high frequency buzz felt at the grips at highway speeds & harshness. It's like the difference between the front end feel of a lowrider (With bushings / dampeners) and the newer sportys where you can't read a license plate at 60+ mph. When I installed these in wife's 05 sporty, the 1st thought during the test ride was I was on her old lowrider but on steroids. If you got both bikes to ride and compare the difference you'll understand what I mean.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

Panzer

Understood...... :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

stro1965

It's been so cold here that I haven't even had a chance to take it out to break it in yet.  Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be really nice though, and I'm off both days.  Only mods planned (for now) are Cycle Shack slip-ons and the EZ Pull (for her, not me, seems fine to me), other than that I'm not changing a thing unless she has an issue with something.

stro1965

"Does that mean you can put any seat you like on your ride ?"

Real funny Sir Garfield!  She drove me nuts with seats on the Fatboy so I bought an Ultra, now she decides she wants her own bike!  No problem, I love the Ultra whether she's behind me or not!

stro1965

Much respect to all of you guys who ride Sporty's for long distances!  I just rode the first 25 miles on this bike today and my back hurts and my hands are asleep!  Sure is a fun bike to ride though, plenty of power and handles great.  Engine noise is much more than I expected.

EZPull Clutch adapter went in easily and made a big difference in clutch pull.

96FLSTF

March 16, 2009, 01:45:32 PM #31 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:19:26 PM by 96FLSTF
Quote from: stro1965 on March 16, 2009, 12:33:04 PM
Much respect to all of you guys who ride Sporty's for long distances!  I just rode the first 25 miles on this bike today and my back hurts and my hands are asleep!  Sure is a fun bike to ride though, plenty of power and handles great.  Engine noise is much more than I expected.

EZPull Clutch adapter went in easily and made a big difference in clutch pull.

See what I mean about that buzz vibration that puts your hands to sleep. What I found or theorized is that a more novice rider might be holding the grips even tighter to make their hands feel worse after a few miles. Before I added the bushings my wife was literally in tears from pain after a 100 mile trip because of the vibration aggravating her arthritis. And why some guys don't complain at all because they have a much more relaxed grip. Since your used to your RK you definitely felt the difference. If you can get your hands on a dyna (Test ride on at the dealer) That's what your wife's sporty can feel like at the grips. I still for the life of me can't figure out why Harley, after spending all the time & money engineering the sporty to make it rubber mounted, went & shot theirself in the foot by removing the isolator bushings.

Oh, & if you want your wife to REALLY luv ya, after she's rode it a while, spring for a set of Progressive 440 flavor touring shocks (No pun intended).
I originally lowered my wife's 05 XL1200C with the 11" 412s but they rode so harsh I felt it was dangerous for her as I watched her butt bounce off the seat on rougher rodes. At the time I could only find 440s in 11.5" so I snuck the extra 1/2" in on her. She immediately noticed the extra 1/2" but said it was definitely worth the improvement in the ride.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

96FLSTF

March 17, 2009, 04:44:13 AM #32 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:03:47 AM by 96FLSTF
Just lookin at Stro's Sporty I realized his does not use the single one piece riser that includes the tach like my wife's 05. It uses 2 separate risers like most other bikes. In that case on my mod to add bushings you wouldn't need the extra washers to raise the riser higher. Just bolt the oem risers back down to the new triple clamp using the bushings & proper bushing cup washers. Make sure not to clamp it down too tight. The bars gotta wiggle. I have revised and added a comment to my little mod pdf.. http://www.box.net/shared/1rr9217y8s

Also while I was at it I checked the availablity of the new clamp. I originally got a used one off ebay for $25 just to see if it would work. Once happy with it function, while shopping for Harleys chrome version P/N 45739-87 they typically were like $188 msrp ($150 at Chicago HD), then found an aftermarket from DEBRIX CYCLES for like $69. It fit & worked fine. Just as good as the Harley one I think. I just looked and they are now on CLEARANCE for $44.99! http://www.debrix.com/Items/24-0865 SKU # 24-0865.
2nd, don't use any other bushings other than the ones I listed. The harder urethane ones defeat the purpose, and the kits some dealers have with the chrome cup washers are also to hard. I also had one person put it all together with no difference because the aftermarket cup washers they used bottomed out on the triple clamp preventing any movement to dampen the vibration.

I do suggest to do some research just to make sure they ain't made any dimensional changes since 06 to make sure it will fit anything newer. I personally don't know of any.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

stro1965

OK, thanks, not sure I want to tackle the trees right now but I'll keep it in mind.

96FLSTF

Quote from: stro1965 on March 17, 2009, 08:40:32 AM
OK, thanks, not sure I want to tackle the trees right now but I'll keep it in mind.

Yup, If it was me, since its a brand new bike. I would let her ride it awhile. At least make sure there are no other warranty issues.See how she does on the longer rides. Then later do the mod if she complains. The work will be more appreciated too. I did take a look at the new 09s thismorning while at the local dealer & they do look the same.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

LDB187

Reserecting this old thread and piggy back'n please.  I too am a new and proud owner of my very 1st sporty after wanting one for many years.  I've had knucks, pans, shovels, evo's and currently have an 02 FLSTC.  I just bought a 2007 XL 1200 Low w/1000 miles on it.  This is also my first experience with FI.  This will be for the wife to ride and me of course.  She used to have an 88 FXR-SP until she had an automobile accident and couldn't ride the bike so she sold it.  After 5 years of recovering she wants to give it another try. Wished I had of kept the FXR but $$ was in short supply. (as always).  Anyways, I too am intrested in changing pipes and ac but not sure about the FI part. Also going to put the ez clutch and try the bushings.  Haven't rode the bike yet. Picking it up this afternoon.  Thanks for any feed back and advice. 

LDB187
Clarksville, TN

96FLSTF

Not to HyJack the thread or continue pushing the triple tree mod.
But for those who might be interested, the upper tripple clamp (OEM# 45739-87) from HD in Chrome Flavor is like $181. When I did wifes. I tried it out 1st with a polished one off ebay for $25 plus shipping. Once I was happy it worked I shopped chrome ones to match the rest of the front end. I found this place Debrix Cycle who had it for $69 so I tried it. Fit like a charm with no problems. I recently checked the site again & found that they lowered the price to $44.99! I might just pick up a couple to have them for future jobs:
http://www.debrix.com/Items/24-0865

Thought maybe someone might wanna save some hard earned money.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI