May 08, 2024, 02:54:04 AM

News:

I'm new to this Sportster stuff...

Started by stro1965, March 08, 2009, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stro1965

March 08, 2009, 12:19:17 PM Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:22:43 PM by stro1965
Brought a 2009 XL1200L home for mama yesterday.  She says she's not gonna need a lot of things changed (yeah, right).  We swapped the seat for an HD reach seat that is much more comfy, even for me.  And I attached the windshield a few minutes ago.  Wondering about simple stuff like...

Is the Sporty, like my Ultra, going to run hot in it's stock condition? 

Will the ECM make adjustments for simple changes like slip-ons?  Or do I need to look at a download or power commander?  She isn't interested in more power (yet), so the airbox will probably remain stock.

My size 12 boots barely fit in between the footpeg and the shift lever (mid-controls for now until she gets more comfortable with the bike), seems like a really short lever, is a longer lever available?  Even she has trouble getting under the lever with average sized feet.

Finally, is there any way to make that stiff clutch pull a little easier for her?

96FLSTF

Hey Stro,
Not sure if they are the same as my wife's 05, but check how the bars / risers are attached to the upper clamp. If like our 05 there is no isolator bushings between the clamp & risers. It will make a WORLD of difference adding the bushings. On longer trips she'll thank you for it.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

stro1965

Quote from: 96FLSTF on March 08, 2009, 12:47:08 PM
Hey Stro,
Not sure if they are the same as my wife's 05, but check how the bars / risers are attached to the upper clamp. If like our 05 there is no isolator bushings between the clamp & risers. It will make a WORLD of difference adding the bushings. On longer trips she'll thank you for it.

Gene

Thanks Gene, just checked, no bushings.  Do you remember the part number or where you found them?

Hossamania

You should be able to adjust the shifter peg to gain more clearance for her boots.
Yes it will get hot, especially if she is doing slow riding,like learning the bike in a parking lot. Don't know her riding experience.
The ecm should adjust for slip-ons just fine.
As far as clutch pull, I put an Easy Pull(?) on my clutch cable. It changes the leverage of the of the operation but adds length to the operation of the clutch handle. I found it hard to adjust quite right, and didn't like the extra travel of the clutch lever. This was on a Road King. I ended up removing it. I have small hands and like the engagement close to the bar instead of at the end of finger travel. Try disassembling the handle and re-lube all the moving parts, then lube the cable often. I use Tri-Flow or 3-in-1 oil. Secure the cable to bars in an upright position, make a small funnel out of tape (masking or duct) on the end of the cable and fill with lube. Fill it a couple times and let it drain overnite. I do this about once a month. There are also some other clutch products like a VPC clutch which are swinging weights to ease pull but I don't know if it will help you as they use the stock clutch spring. I think proper adjustment is more important. As I said, I like the engagement close to the bar instead of out at the end of finger travel. But this does require monitoring as the cable stretches and will cause the clutch to drag because of less travel for disengagement.
Soryy for the long rambling answer. Hope this helps.

Hoss
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

For the clutch, look here: http://dragspecialties.com/fatbook/20/336/7741803?q=muller
That will make that clutch feel like butter. My wife has arthritis and this allowed her to continue riding.
Most slip-ons will make noise- I've installed a bunch of them. If you leave the AC alone, the system won't be perfect, but it will be rideable.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FSG

Hossamania

That piece in Drag is similar to what I had but mine bolted on the ramp instead of replacing it, and only cost $22.00, not $172.00! But like I said, for me it added too much travel to the clutch handle.

Hossamania

The VP-Sport 4 looks like a better solution, IMO, though not cheap. But I see it as a safety issue and that makes the price a moot point.

stro1965

Thanks, I wonder, regarding clutch pull, if I couldn't just put a spring from an 883 in there?  She's not gonna be hot-rodding it.  What do ya think?

stro1965

Another question I have concerns parts compatibility.  What years parts will fit this bike?  I see a lot of stuff that says up through '05 (I think).  Were there significant changes made in '06?  I hope not cause I just bid on some almost new Cycle Shack slip-ons that had been on an '05!

Hossamania

The biggest change was in '04 when they went to rubber mount. Pipes should fit.

96FLSTF

Quote from: stro1965 on March 08, 2009, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: 96FLSTF on March 08, 2009, 12:47:08 PM
Hey Stro,

Gene

Thanks Gene, just checked, no bushings.  Do you remember the part number or where you found them?

Stro,
Here's a little explanation and instruction thing in a PDF file that I put together last year. You might have seen it posted on other forums. This I figure out for her 05. Yours might be different but you might wanna check it out.

Hope this works:
http://www.box.net/shared/1rr9217y8s

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

stro1965

Thanks Gene, that a really good write-up!  Might have to try some ISO grips or something first (assuming she complains) before I go that far though.  Any ideas on the clutch spring?

96FLSTF

Quote from: stro1965 on March 09, 2009, 03:39:06 AM
Thanks Gene, that a really good write-up!  Might have to try some ISO grips or something first (assuming she complains) before I go that far though.  Any ideas on the clutch spring?

Thanks!

Don't know how much if any different the wife's 05 is to yours, as far as the clutch goes I installed one of those $20 deals (Like the "Easy Clutch"). In addition to making the pull easier it also increases the "friction zone" which is helpful for newer riders avoid those wheel standing launches.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

stro1965

Quote from: 96FLSTF on March 09, 2009, 01:51:29 PM
Quote from: stro1965 on March 09, 2009, 03:39:06 AM

Thanks!

Don't know how much if any different the wife's 05 is to yours, as far as the clutch goes I installed one of those $20 deals (Like the "Easy Clutch"). In addition to making the pull easier it also increases the "friction zone" which is helpful for newer riders avoid those wheel standing launches.

Gene

Where would I find such a contraption?

FSG

stro1965

stro1965

Just ordered an EZPull, hope it works!  I can't tell you guys how excited mama is about this bike!

stro1965

FSG

Quote from: stro1965 on March 11, 2009, 10:16:04 AM
Just ordered an EZPull, hope it works!  I can't tell you guys how excited mama is about this bike!

Does that mean you can put any seat you like on your ride ? :teeth:

96FLSTF

Quote from: stro1965 on March 11, 2009, 10:17:37 AM
Here she is on the bike...

:up:
She's gonna love it.
Next step will be a stage 1 (Breather & slip ons) will really wake it up.

The only thing with that clutch deal when you put it in will be that you will notice the cable as it enters the case will look to drag a bit on the side of the cable sheath end as the cable changes direction toward the lever. That because the piece your installing is basically lengthing the lever, so the cable angle will not line up as well as the original set up. No big deal. You'll see what I mean when you install it. Figured I'd just give you a heads up so you don't think you done anything wrong.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI

mayor

she's hiding her excitement well... :hyst:

sweet looking scoot, congrats to you and her..

:teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

stro1965

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on March 11, 2009, 01:10:37 PM
Quote from: stro1965 on March 11, 2009, 10:16:04 AM

Does that mean you can put any seat you like on your ride ? :teeth:

LOL, I doubt it!  She says she still wants to be my passenger too.  We've already discussed Sturgis this year and the fact that she'll riding WITH me, not beside me...

stro1965

Quote from: 96FLSTF on March 11, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: stro1965 on March 11, 2009, 10:17:37 AM
Here she is on the bike...

:up:
She's gonna love it.
Next step will be a stage 1 (Breather & slip ons) will really wake it up.

The only thing with that clutch deal when you put it in will be that you will notice the cable as it enters the case will look to drag a bit on the side of the cable sheath end as the cable changes direction toward the lever. That because the piece your installing is basically lengthing the lever, so the cable angle will not line up as well as the original set up. No big deal. You'll see what I mean when you install it. Figured I'd just give you a heads up so you don't think you done anything wrong.

Gene

Thanks for the heads up Gene.

1JITSU1

STRO1965 tell her good luck from Jitsu   I got one for my wife 2008
last weekend   one of those buy backs   only 675 mi. on it
pick it up saturday