May 08, 2024, 08:56:42 PM

News:

Top new Heritage mods

Started by Jim Bronson, May 07, 2014, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Thanks everyone. It's time to see for myself.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

oldhippie

I'm late to the party but if you want more power and are concerned with warranty issues have them install the legal stage IV kit before delivery. It is pretty much the non legal kit with an epa tune. Ya can take and get it tuned afterwards and pick up some decent power.
But of course seat, bars and suspension are top comfort mods! Good luck!

05fatboy95

Don't be scarred of the softail ride, I love my softail and never have an issue with the ride.  It's all personnel preference. Also don't buy one or the other based on seat, handlebars, exhaust. All easy things to swap out for what you want. if you haven't try a bike with ape hangers, nothing better for comfort for personally.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: oldhippie on May 11, 2014, 09:59:59 AM
I'm late to the party but if you want more power and are concerned with warranty issues have them install the legal stage IV kit before delivery. It is pretty much the non legal kit with an epa tune. Ya can take and get it tuned afterwards and pick up some decent power.
I think all the stage kits come with a race tuner, so I'd have to buy the street tuner separately. I don't even think the local dealers will install them.

oldhippie

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 11, 2014, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: oldhippie on May 11, 2014, 09:59:59 AM
I think all the stage kits come with a race tuner, so I'd have to buy the street tuner separately. I don't even think the local dealers will install them.

Not true. There are three (stage 1, 2 & 4) 103 "legal" kits that come with a download and full warranty if installed before delivery. If your dealer won't install them call the motor company.  But maybe they shouldn't do the work anyway???

Jim Bronson

I'll check on that when and if the time comes. Perhaps I'll be happy with just stage 1 and a cam. Triple digits here this week. Maybe a bit toasty to ride out there.

oldhippie

Only legal kit for '14 is stage 4. I only recommend it because it keeps the factory warranty if installed before delivery and gives a decent boost. There are much better ways to go in the aftermarket if warranty isn't an issue and/or ya all ready took delivery. 

Jim Bronson

Quote from: oldhippie on May 13, 2014, 10:55:35 AM
Only legal kit for '14 is stage 4. I only recommend it because it keeps the factory warranty if installed before delivery and gives a decent boost. There are much better ways to go in the aftermarket if warranty isn't an issue and/or ya all ready took delivery.
That's good to know. I haven't bought yet, but I'm busy making room in the garage. Thanks!

Jim Bronson

Talked to a dealer today. The warranty covers only 254 and 259 cams if installed by the dealer within 60 days of purchase. 255 and 204 aren't covered.

metaliser

i might think about looking around at other dealers. My dealer said they would cover the warranty after the 204 install. I think a lot of the warranty is as good as the dealer wants it to be.

Jim Bronson

I'll do that. My buddy said his dealer will cover a 255 if installed when new. I never thought there could be such a difference in warranty coverage between dealers. I thought it would be MOCO policy.

codyshop

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 15, 2014, 08:53:39 AM
I never thought there could be such a difference in warranty coverage between dealers. I thought it would be MOCO policy.

Again, federal law is quite clear:  Manufacturers and dealers cannot make warranty exceptions for aftermarket parts and/or non-dealer installation.  Unless you use a part NOT INTEDEND for your year/model, they must offer coverage even if you put it in yourself.   The only think they can do, is refuse to cover any damage caused by the part and/or its installation...and the burden of proof is on them to show your part caused the problem.  "Magnussen-Moss Act (1975)  Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2301-2312 United States Federal Code"

oldhippie

Many dealers make all kinds of warranty "offers" independent of motor company or epa rules/laws.  Get it in writing!

Jim Bronson

May 15, 2014, 03:52:44 PM #38 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:19:07 PM by Jim Bronson
Quote from: codyshop on May 15, 2014, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 15, 2014, 08:53:39 AM
I never thought there could be such a difference in warranty coverage between dealers. I thought it would be MOCO policy.

Again, federal law is quite clear:  Manufacturers and dealers cannot make warranty exceptions for aftermarket parts and/or non-dealer installation.  Unless you use a part NOT INTEDEND for your year/model, they must offer coverage even if you put it in yourself.   The only think they can do, is refuse to cover any damage caused by the part and/or its installation...and the burden of proof is on them to show your part caused the problem.  "Magnussen-Moss Act (1975)  Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2301-2312 United States Federal Code"
This is VERY helpful. Thank you very much. My only question would be whether the EPA (CARB in CA) requirements can override the USC section. For reference for others, here's the applicable section (I think).

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

So according to the FTC, the burden would be on the MOCO to show that a bike wouldn't function properly with the component (in this case a HD part). I could see it in the case of a high lift cam that required a stiffer valve spring or something similar, but the cam I'm interested in (255) doesn't fall in that category.

However, the HD warranty explicitly excludes performance parts:

Exclusions

This limited warranty will not apply to any motorcycle/sidecar as follows:

Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or part of your new motorcycle/sidecar limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

Thanks again codyshop.

04 SE Deuce

Ahh come on...don't put that fork lift cam in there.  255   :sick:   Rick

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,73230.0.html

Jim Bronson

Looks like I won't be. I don't know what to do now. Either I go with a 254 or scrap the warranty and do whatever I want, and I'm hesitant to do that on a new bike.