May 09, 2024, 12:26:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top new Heritage mods

Started by Jim Bronson, May 07, 2014, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I'm looking at a new Heritage, and I must admit I don't know much about them except I love the looks. What are the first (non-bling) mods that most buyers do? I was thinking about stage 1 and perhaps a 255 if the warranty will cover it, but no other engine mods. The salesman already told me he'd cut me a good deal under MSRP, so I'm about ready to do it. Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Hossamania

Pipes, air cleaner, cam, and a new tuner and tune. A tune is much better than just the flash that the dealer will offer.
Those mods will give a good bang for the buck.

Then paint, wheels, handlebars, turbo.... well, you get the idea.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tomcat64

Most common are highway bar.. Highway pegs.. Passenger floorboards... Better back seat and backrest pad.. Stage one and pipes...

boooby1744

Buddy has a 2012 stage 1 he just bought used,traded in a 2009.  Took off the sissy bar and put a modified Badlander and hi way pegs.My only problem is the too high gearing,  but he rarely uses top gear.

tommy g

Good looking and functional right outa the wrapper, however the stock chair was pure agony after a hour.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

04 SE Deuce

255   :sick:   

Better choices are available.   Rick

s-glide76

Quick detach kit for saddle bags and sissy bar. Add luggage rack to sissy bar. In 5 minutes you can go from bar hopper to full touring.

codyshop

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 07, 2014, 07:40:26 PM

Indeed. 

Jim Bronson

Quote from: codyshop on May 07, 2014, 09:18:25 PM

Indeed.
But not likely covered under warranty.

Oclaf

I don't get you guys and the warranty, Harleys are not new, nor is the latest engine variant...so much has been done, short of going balls out, you really wont tear up anything by ramping up your motor or whatever...IMO. I expect to buy a new road or street glide, whichever is available soon and out the box, heads and cams. my hesitation is my buddy who is working the deal for the bikes also has the dealer we expect to buy the bikes from doing the install, the heads will be from unnamed source for now. back to my point, why wait the warranty? I don't buy American cars because of warranty, I buy them because I like them. same with appliances, I buy whirlpool as I have had success, warranty doesn't mean crap when its made well. its like an oxymoron to me, 'this is the best you can buy and we have a three year warranty to back it up!" if its the best you can buy it wont be breaking?  :scratch:

YFOPOS1

Have you ridden one before (softail ) there ain't nothin soft about a softail ride !
Had back surgery still had to sell my FB , got a RK  much better ride.

If you have no back problems? decent choice.. But after owning two softails FXSTC and a FB wished I'd gotten the RK when I got the FB
Unless they have changed the bars on the Heritage ? That would be one of the first mods get a set of mini apes on it. The Heritage bars puts your wrists at an angle... I went with Chubby's 12.5's on the FB, perfect height..   

Jim Bronson

Coming from a Dyna, I doubt the ride is much harsher, but I'll give it a try before I buy. I see them all over the place ridden by all ages, so they can't be too terrible. I've sat on a RK several times, but I'm not comfortable with the position of the seat or bars. The softail feels very natural to me, similar to my Dyna. The bars feel very similar to my Dyna short apes. This is all subjective stuff, highly dependent on the rider's build and preferences. And I know there is a difference between just sitting on one in the showroom and riding one for hours.

CA dealers are pretty much shut down from installing non-HD performance parts due to the crackdown by CARB. They simply won't do it. That forces installation of mods by either DIY or indies. Dealers won't even tune a bike anymore. And yes, warranties are important. No matter how solid a product is, sometimes they have issues and can be very costly to fix without a warranty. If the dealer says installation of a certain part will void the warranty, then I'm not willing to risk it for a couple more HP.

Anyway, I do appreciate the replies. Some food for thought.

88b

The Heritage seems to fit everyone, I miss mine. I found the spoked wheels a PITA and fitted HD Lightening stars . I rode an 09 last week , enjoyed it but I prefer the earlier ones for looks and feel, but it's all personal.

metaliser

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 07, 2014, 09:31:54 PM

Indeed.
Put a 204 in, you'll like it better !

x52gnr

Quote from: metaliser on May 08, 2014, 02:29:20 AM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 07, 2014, 09:31:54 PM

Indeed.
Put a 204 in, you'll like it better !

Agree one of the first things i did was the aircleaner s/e 204 cams and slipons . also added the powervision from fuel moto. Couldnt be happier with the way it runs...
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

codyshop

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 07, 2014, 11:20:00 PM
If the dealer says installation of a certain part will void the warranty, then I'm not willing to risk it for a couple more HP.

Federal law is very clear...it's not the dealer's or HD's call. 

Bladesmith

Quote from: codyshop on May 08, 2014, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 07, 2014, 11:20:00 PM
If the dealer says installation of a certain part will void the warranty, then I'm not willing to risk it for a couple more HP.

Federal law is very clear...it's not the dealer's or HD's call.

But as OWNER of the bike, I would still remove the catalytic converter !!!!
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

YFOPOS1

Yes even a Dyna gets a better ride than a Softail well unless you put rear struts on in place of the rear shocks on the Dyna. :wink:

The Softail has the best feel for a riding position , you set in the frame not on it like the touring models...

Jim Bronson

May 08, 2014, 06:32:00 PM #18 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:41:18 PM by Jim Bronson
Quote from: YFOPOS1 on May 08, 2014, 05:47:46 PM
Yes even a Dyna gets a better ride than a Softail well unless you put rear struts on in place of the rear shocks on the Dyna. :wink:
Well then, I guess I'll just buy a RK, but I'll have to get it lowered and get new bars.

Save some money too!

calif phil

I think the Heritage  is a great bike.  I always recommend those bikes to people looking for a Harley.  I would add an LED headlight to the Heritage. 

Rokinrider

I love my Slim! Still deciding what go fast it needs, I'm wanting Tmax, Rinehart 2-1 or Churchill. Some ones mild quiet cam.
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

JYHD1

I sure wouldn't pass on the Heritage yet because of our opinions. We don't all require the same fit or looks on what we like about our bikes, it's what you like and how it fits you that matters. It's also hard to tell just by riding a stock bike from the dealers since the bars and seat may not fit you at all but are an easy change to ones that do.

As for the ride quality of the Heritage, we don't find it much different than our Road Kings except over really rough roads with big humps or dips. Other than that neither the wife or I have any complaints about the ride. The stock Heritage handlebars are a perfect fit for me, in fact that was the first thing I changed out on our Road Kings when new was to the Heritage style bars.

We've made a whole lot of changes to both our Road Kings and both our Heritage's to fit our own style and comfort. I by far prefer riding the Heritage because of the looks and fit and my wife prefers the Road Kings. Not because of the ride but because she sits up quite a bit higher on the back of the Heritage and gets hit by more bugs. She thinks I'm supposed to take all the bug hits for her !

Buy the one that makes you feel the best and smile the most when you look at it and then make it fit you . Of course that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions !

Good luck on your decision,

John

Jim Bronson

John, thank you for the very reasoned and informative reply.  :up:

YFOPOS1

Not trying to sound harsh in my posts , like others have said what you like is what you need to get.
Just commenting on my experience with the two Softails and then the RK.
I'm comparing my ol 93 and 02 Softails verses the 02 RK I have now with new rear shocks. Wish I had spent the money on better shocks when I first bought the 02 RK last summer. When I bought it the rear shocks were shot (froze up , wouldn't hold air either)

I love the looks of the Softails (FX and FB) , but my back just can't take the beating ...

04 SE Deuce

Softails at standard height have 4" of travel...more than a bagger.

I have a set of Ohlins shocks (discontinued) on my Deuce that I recently had serviced and re-valved...works as well or better than most baggers...baggers with stock shocks aren't in the hunt.  You can improve a softail with quality shocks set up for your weight and damping preferences.   Rick