May 05, 2024, 10:52:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lapping tool for barrels/ base leaks

Started by baldoldfxr, March 08, 2009, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldoldfxr

I know this has been gone over before but anyway, I've got the dreaded base gasket leak, when I take it down I will check the base gasket area, if its not flat then I either put them in my circa 1900  Barnes lathe which might be asking a bit much of it ,take it off to a shop who has a lapping plate or buy one A nice tool to have but something I'll probably never use again
So make my own lapping plate(thanks JM) ,I could cut a hole in a piece of plate steel which seems like hard work so i thought i would get a piece of thick glass & have a hole for the spigot cut in it this would be ideal for me or anyone who doesnt have to sort this problem very often ,The glass will wear when its used with the grinding paste but between the two sides should do a good & cost effective job.
Anybody out there tried this ? what do you think?

gryphon

I did something very similar many years ago using paste, bluing, and a mirror to lap my  gasket surface on some heads.

threadkiller

Ron Trock has/had a specialty tool for lapping 3.5" and 3.625" bore Evolution style cylinders. TK.
I'm not saying I'm Superman, but no one has seen Superman & me in the same room.

FSG

March 08, 2009, 09:37:24 PM #3 Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:20:35 PM by FSG
Quote from: threadkiller on March 08, 2009, 07:56:44 PM
Ron Trock has/had a specialty tool for lapping 3.5" and 3.625" bore Evolution style cylinders. TK.

VTwin Mfg Trock Cylinder Base Lapping Plate

baldoldfxr

The trock tool looks great, I was trying to come up with an alternative for the guy who only does this job on his own bike hopefully very occasionaly.

FSG

In days of working on 4500psi airguns we used glass plate with fine wet 'n dry and WF40, so for occasional use I'd use glass to lap the cylinder bases   :up:

wfolarry

You can get adhesive-backed sandpaper in the 9X12 size & use that with the glass.

baldoldfxr

Thanks guys, Fatboy what did you use a 4500 psi airgun for -   :smile:shooting Elephants ?