April 26, 2024, 10:34:41 PM

News:

Buell Tech

Started by panhead_dan, November 07, 2008, 05:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhead_dan

November 07, 2008, 05:45:33 PM Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:48:45 PM by panhead_dan
Please post your concerns or questions of technical nature in this thread.

It seems to me that riding a newer HD is as trouble free as riding a Goldwing. (yeach)
Not so for many Buell riders. The machine requires some extra love and attention.
Currently, my tech problem is a baked clutch on my Ulysses so I shopped around and found a rider that is parting out a newer XB9R with 1700 miles on it and is willing to sell me the entire primary drive sys including the stator for cheap. This will allow me to reduce my gear ratio, rebuild my clutch and have a box full of spares for like half price! All I will need in addition is a gasket, a seal and a couple of retainers.
:smilep:

help-u2

good you got a deal.  hell, good you got parts... around here no one stocks anything. 
we are step children.  but am sorta used to it also riding an ironhead.  parts hunting is half of owning one...
once i got my frozen axel problem cured and tires changed and new ebc brakes i have had no problems with my XB9.  its been a fun reliable ride.  and i redline it  almost every shift and ride it hard.
   just cringing at the no trans door cases though.  hate to think of complete disassembly to change a shift fork or some minor tranny work...

panhead_dan

The lack of a trap door tranny worries me too. What were they thinking? Seems like Sportsters (and Buells) have a need for you to be in there from time to time....

mark61

I suspect they were thinking 
"now they HAVE to bring them back for us to charge ungodly labor prices for fixing them!"

mark61

panhead_dan

I am seriously considering removing most of the electronics from my XB12X.
Does anyone know of a 40mm downdraft carb that could be adapted to work? I would prefer a cv type carb.
Before ya flame me, I've heard it all before. I know it won't make the bike more reliable. What it will do is allow me to make roadside repairs myself and keep riding it.

help-u2

i dont know dan.  but am with you on less electornics. 
lets see. my ironhead i turn on gas petcock and kick it.  it runs.
on buell i turn on key, wait for fuel pump to stop howeling and if it works i get to start it.
just more stuff to go wrong...

my 03 stupidglide has a carb and am happy for it...

panhead_dan

I've got an inquirey out to a carb place I found on google. They have been in business for like 30 years and have the knowhow to construct a carb if nessessary. Perhaps a manifold will need to be fabbed. I'm hoping to crossmatch a carb from another vehicle and find one cheap. I'm hoping to be able to use the airbox as is with little or no modification.
If I get the carb thing conquored, I will tear down the bike and remove the ecm, bas, all safety switches and replace the ignition trigger with a dyna. I will need to learn how the fuel pump pressure regulator works and either use it or replace it with an automotive one. I think, and will verify, that the charging system will still function without the ecm but if not older sportster regulator will.
That gob of wires right next to the countershaft pulley will be eliminated. It just looks like a problem waiting to happen.
I've got lots of research to do and could type on and on about it but untill I source a suitable carb, I'm not beginning the rest of the project.

skulloz

Hmm Swapping EFI fo a Carby? hell why not get rid of the electric starter motor and put on a kicker, junk the electronic ignition and use points :hyst:
It is the year 2008 not 1948,technology has progressed,not gone backwards.
Keep the wind in your face and the bugs off your teeth!

panhead_dan

gotta draw the line somewhere and I draw it at "points". I would not want points.
A kicker is interesting......

help-u2

slulloz   :: but what that new high tech stuff get ya??
something that breaks and cant fix on road...
my 1974 iron head has kicker and points.  i can file them and get home.  hell i can put in chevy blue streaks for $8 and get home.
try that with some putor module ecm thing

yeah i ride new stuff.  but i enjoy the old stuff...
can work on it.  dont have to checkbook it...

panhead_dan

That is my point to all of this. My Ulysses has the ability to get me way far off the beaten path and if some electronic device screws up, I'm screwed. Throw in no cell phone signal and you got possbly life threatening.
  If the bike had never had any issues with the electronics I might feel differently but it has and I do. I love the bike and I want to depend on it and my ability to keep it running.

I still can't find a suitable carb for it, however.

help-u2

am thinking some of the older euro/brit cars had down draft carbs.
some even dual throat...

PC_Hater

I would try looking at the older JAP V fours.
Old VMax carbs? Old Honda VFR 750 carbs?

For downdraft car carbs, dell-orto and Weber.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

panhead_dan

I finally recieved and installed the XB9 primary parts onto my Uly yesterday. I was only able to put on about 50 miles of county riding but I really like the gearing reduction so far. It seems like I just gained 10-15 hp! 1st gear is no longer too tall. It will be much better for cowtrailing in the boonies for sure. Later today I will do a little interstate blasting and maybe even a high speed run to see if it will actually hit the rev limiter in top gear and at what speed. The Sportster/Buell clutch and primary are easy to work on and it's all straightforword for the most part. This mod breathed a whole new life into my Uly!

4DWUDS

From what I have heard, 5th gear now is like 4th gear before the change, also supposed to improve MPG a little. Let us know.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

Kleetus

Quote from: panhead_dan on November 22, 2008, 07:13:25 AM
I am seriously considering removing most of the electronics from my XB12X.
Does anyone know of a 40mm downdraft carb that could be adapted to work? I would prefer a cv type carb.
Before ya flame me, I've heard it all before. I know it won't make the bike more reliable. What it will do is allow me to make roadside repairs myself and keep riding it.
PHD,
Why not install a Sportster CV carb and intake. Simple fix like the old Buells.
Kleetus

panhead_dan

The frame design on an XB makes a sidedraft carb no workie.

Kleetus

Quote from: panhead_dan on February 17, 2009, 05:58:45 PM
The frame design on an XB makes a sidedraft carb no workie.
Oops...I'll go back to sleep now :bf:

panhead_dan

Does anyone know if the newest drive belt for '09 will work on an '06?

xlfan

If memory serves me right, I think some snowmobiles and jet-skis use downdrafts from Keihin or Mikuni. I think there is  company called Sudco that could be worth a shot contacting.

xlfan