May 06, 2024, 03:54:16 PM

News:

So Much Salt On My Bike

Started by f-x-d-w-g, March 09, 2009, 07:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f-x-d-w-g

It's raining and, due to the high humidity, all the road salt absorbed the moisture and stood up in crystals.  I just pushed the bike outside into the rain.  I'll let it soak for a while then hook up a hose.

Damn...  I hate winter in Syracuse.   :angry:
Dan
Tijeras, NM

specialx1

same chit in Minnesota when ive been brave enuff to freeze my azz off lately n go for ride, spend more time cleaning when i get home then i did riding
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

f-x-d-w-g

Yeah, but it's still great to get out for a ride.  I've managed about 1K miles in Jan/Feb...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Blazing Saddles

Wish I could get out!! Last week it hit +15 C here in Calgary, now its -25 C!!! No ridin' any time soon.

Blazin'

RK101

March 09, 2009, 12:13:25 PM #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:21:23 PM by RK101
FXDWG Your doing pretty good I've only managed to get about 300 milessince new years. Broke my ankle last Oct. and the cold plays hell with it. I've had to keep the trips short and far between this year.  No Polar Bear riding this winter. :emsad:

I've been wondering also if that brine solution and the rock salt is what helped cause my shifter shaft seal to leak in only 46K miles. I've been told that brine solution plays hell on the brake lines of auto's.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Blockhead80

Check your electrical connections. HD didn't use any dielectric grease when my 03 FLHT was assembled. I've taken apart, cleaned and greased every electric connection that I could see on the bike.

Another thing to check (probably not salt related), I had a throttle cable break at 81K.

jimrookie

Milwaukee is the same way.you should see what it does to Black

f-x-d-w-g

Had to clean up a lot of corrosion in the electrical panel last year.  Yesterday, after hosing off the bike, I soaked down the panel with WD-40.

I know this stuff is hard on the bike but I bought it to ride...
Dan
Tijeras, NM