May 07, 2024, 07:29:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What cahin do I need?

Started by Simons_shovel, March 09, 2009, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simons_shovel

I have a 1982 FXRS (5speed) in need of a new drive chain.  I think it is a 530 type with 109 links plus a joining link.  Anyone know if this is correct before I go and order the wrong thing!

Thanks

76shuvlinoff

Double check that link count and you'll be ok. I would suggest ordering one a touch too long and investing in the chain breaker, assembly tools and master links you'll need sooner or later anyhow.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hybredhog

If your running 23/51 sprockets, on an FXR I believe it takes 112 links, but definitly longer than a 4 speed frame's length.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

stroker800

As stated ,,,,always order a longer chain and cut back to correct size,,,Also give your sprockets agood look over..I hate puttin a new chain on worn out sprockets,,will shorten its life.
Dave

Simons_shovel

Thanks guys.  I am running a 24 tooth on the front(I think!)  I know its one up from stock.  Just had a count and my chain seems to be 110links plus the soft link so thats 111 all in.  I will order in the morning.  Be back on the road by the weekend  :smile:

hotham

I own a 82 FXR and if the sprockets are stock,  it takes a 530-110.  The strongest is a Tsubaki but Diamond works well.  Go with an o-ring chain and check both sprokets for excess wear.  When a chain wears out,  it stretches enough to put hooks on the sprockets.  Replace them or your new chain will wear out way to soon.  Most of the wear will usually be on the transmission sprocket, so a little work will be needed to inspect this one.

Simons_shovel

Thanks all.  I went with a Tripple S 530-112 and ended up taking out 2 links.  Its an X ring chain so hopefuly should last a while.  Front sprocket is new, rear looks like new.  Rode it today for the first time since October.  Sweet as a nut  :teeth: