Way OT: When is PECAN season down south..........?

Started by JamLazyAss, March 09, 2009, 11:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

Just been told after not eating nuts for seven years, that I do not have diverticulitus.
It was the old appendix all along.

Where can I get my hands on a big bag of FRESH PECANS???
Is there a web site to order from, anybody have a farm??

Those pecans won't know what hit em once I get my paws on em'.  :hyst:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

specialx1

it's only kinky the first time

Panzer

Talk about nuts, look who first replied.

Both of you don't have far to go, the nut house is close at hand.  :smilep: :smilep:
You two remind me of the saying, "Where there's smoke, there's fire".  :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

JohnnyM

San Saba, Texas claims to be the pecan capital of the world.   I send two pounds a week of San Saba pecans to our troops overseas.  Some of those poor kids from New York didn’t know what a pecan was but they sure learn fast.  My favorite place in San Saba is the Millican Pecan Company.  Family owned for over 100 years.  You can find them on the web at http://www.pecancompany.com

rad3766

98 FLHTPI Miss Suzy HOG, AMA, IBA, PGR

d-dog

I have family in Amarillo, TX and pecan trees grow wild out there.  I was at my daughter's wedding in September and they were falling out of the trees then, so I'd have to say early fall.
Dog

Panzer

Quote from: rad3766 on March 09, 2009, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: JohnnyM on March 09, 2009, 02:00:44 PM
  I send two pounds a week of San Saba pecans to our troops overseas. 

:smiled:  :up:

I'll second that too, way to go JohnnyM.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pzokes

In GA, the Pecans fall off my tree in the fall.  It's a great time for shooting squirrels. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

bhubb7

Try renfroe pecan co. Pensacola, fl. just google it
brian

Desperado

In answer to your question, "pecan season" is in the fall - November and December in most parts of Texas depending upon the variety of pecan.  You will not be able to get "fresh" pecans this time of the year.  Anything you buy will have been in cold storage, but that's okay.  They are still quite good.  Texas and Georgia are the two largest pecan producing states.

According to one of my professors, when the white man came to the Western World they found the Indians eating a nut later named the pecan (pa - con unless you are up north and then you probably call it a pea-can).  It was an alternate bearer (good crop one year, lousy crop the next, repeat) and subject to many diseases.  We have developed and selectively bred pecans for over 400 year and now due to research and improved varieties, the pecan is now an alternate bearer and subject to many diseases.

If you have a choice on varieties, the improved Indian named varieties are my favorites.  Sioux is my all time favorite.  It is a small nut, but has a high oil content which makes for a very tasty nut.  If you don't get a choice, that's okay - they are all good.  I buy about 50 pounds of cracked nuts a year and shell 'em out for my wife to use in cooking.  I bag 'em and freeze 'em.  Shell out is about 50% so I get a little over 25 pounds of nuts in the freezer.  Of that I get one cake and one pie a year usually.  The rest get eaten straight from the sack - by my wife.  They are great frozen on a hot afternoon, incidentally.

If you buy large quantities, even in the shell, be sure to put 'em in a freezer (cold storage) until you are ready to use 'em.  Because of the oil content of pecans, they will go rancid and lose taste and quality if you just leave 'em out for weeks to months.

Hope this helps.  If the San Saba connection doesn't work, I can give you the number of a cold storage pecan house in Dallas that may still have some pecans.  No choice on varieties, they are just a buyer and seller.  Next fall I can give you several good locations that are selling fresh off the farm pecans.

JohnnyM

I gotta tell this story, to good to pass up.  We got new neighbors from New York City.  Nice folks but they talk faster than I can listen.  Their house came with several good sized pecan trees.   Late fall she was complaining about the pecans littering her lawn.  My wife gave these neighbors a pecan pie.  They loved the pie and decided to bake a pie using their own home grown pecans.  She started by picking pecans directly from the tree via a ladder.  Seems those on the ground were dirty. 

wavlovr1

here is the real question:

is it pronounced "pee-can" or "Paaa-khan"?

jimbob 

Dennis The Menace

HroadhogD1

March 20, 2009, 03:17:16 AM #13 Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:31:25 AM by HroadhogD1
  Pee-Khan-this is a nut.           Pee-can-This is where you urinate when the bathroom isn't handy.      :hyst:        Stick around I will teach you some stuff.

Panzer

Quote from: HroadhogD1 on March 20, 2009, 03:17:16 AM
  Pee-Khan-this is a nut.           Pee-can-This is where you urinate when the bathroom isn't handy.      :hyst:        Stick around I will teach you some stuff.

I like that..........darn, you learn something new here everyday. :hyst:

I hope Jamlazyass reads this so he can pronounce it right or he'll go home with a dozen "pee cans".