May 08, 2024, 11:22:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Going to join the 124" club.

Started by Soft 02, May 29, 2014, 05:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

I drain mine at least once during every full tank of gas.
You'll be amazed at what...and how much comes out...at least I am with my set up.
I ran mine so it has an all down hill gravity draining affect to the catch can.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hossamania

Quote from: No Cents on December 30, 2014, 09:14:12 AM
I drain mine at least once during every full tank of gas.
You'll be amazed at what...and how much comes out...at least I am with my set up.
I ran mine so it has an all down hill gravity draining affect to the catch can.

Ray

Running everything down hill is the way I prefer to drain mine also. Sure, the mist will eventually get up, over, and down, but as it cools and turns back to liquid, it's going to drain back to the vent bolts, pooling there. That was the reason I asked about the crossover tube on Soft02's bike, plus going even higher up to the frame and then down.
I may be wrong, and it may have no effect, but I just feel better with mine running down hill the whole way.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Soft 02

Im guessing there wont be much pooling as it is a light vapor and if there is any pooling it will hit the can without issue. But yes down hill would be the best method. I just dont like the look of hoses and catch cans in front of the motor. On a touring bike it blends in better.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Hossamania

I think it would be interesting to run it one way for a while, then change to the other and see if there is a difference.
It may not make a difference, but my curiosity gets the better of me sometimes, and I ask "What if?"
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Soft 02

Yup. Ive never seen one run this way. Maybe there is a reason for that. Time will tell.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Soft 02

Picked up some brass pipe. Going to add the drain extension tomorrow. Checked it with 80 miles on it and nothing came out. Also 80 miles and no leaks!!!! Also lifter chatter seems to be gone. Must have been off with my adjustment on one of them pushrods. Now if spring would get here so I can take it on a fun ride and not just to work n back.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

sporacer

I really think the breather hoses should run up to the highest point that can be achieved and then down to a catch can. This should minimize the amount of oil getting to the can because the oil can drain back into the engine.
  I have yet to test this theory on a vtwin but it worked on my wet sump v8 ford. I ran #10 an fittings welded to the valve covers and #10 lines to a breather can.  It never had any oil in it. This 540 hp engine was road raced for 1 hour under race conditions seeing 8400 rpms.
2013 cvo roadglide Tman 124 146hp/145tq

No Cents

Soft 02...this is what my 124 has pucked out in 720 miles...according to the odometer.

[attach=0]

Ray

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Soft 02

Quote from: No Cents on December 30, 2014, 03:59:44 PM
Soft 02...this is what my 124 has pucked out in 720 miles...according to the odometer.

[attach=0]

Ray

More than I thought! I guess ill keep an eye on it. I do 400 miles a week.
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA