May 07, 2024, 11:27:46 PM

News:

Clutch Problem

Started by WhipLash96, June 02, 2014, 04:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

June 02, 2014, 04:38:43 AM Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:18:32 AM by WhipLash96
Along with my mysterious pinging issue, I now notice that I am slipping on 5th gear. It was pretty noticeable so I adjusted the clutch. It is better but still slips in 5th when I want to grab a fist full. I have problems getting to 70 mph.

What are the possibilities of what is happening?  It has never done this. The bike has almost 22k on the clock using stock 883 clutch on a potent 1200 build.  12k on the 1200 build.
Thanks,
Whip

aswracing

What year is the bike? Through 2003, the clutch was the same between 883 & 1200. Starting in '04, the 883 got a weaker clutch spring. 04-later conversions need that spring changed or they slip.

WhipLash96

Quote from: aswracing on June 02, 2014, 10:35:11 AM
What year is the bike? Through 2003, the clutch was the same between 883 & 1200. Starting in '04, the 883 got a weaker clutch spring. 04-later conversions need that spring changed or they slip.
My bike is a 96. Thanks
Thanks,
Whip

xlfan

Any recent change in oil type or oil level?

xlfan

WhipLash96

A small leak through shifter shaft, but I added a little.
Thanks,
Whip

xlfan

Too high level could cause slipping.

xlfan

WhipLash96

I am going to back off adjustment a tad and go from there. But yes I did think of that as well.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Thanks gasshawg for the ideas on my issue. Will let you know soon if I am able to get it back to my liking.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Readjusted my clutch, took it for a ride and the same thing. Only slips in 5th. I am mystified.  I guess I am going to bring it in a have my wrench confirm.  What a PITA!
Thanks,
Whip

xlfan

Could it be a tad too tight adjusted primary chain along with a slightly worn clutch hub bearing?

xlfan

WhipLash96

Quote from: xlfan on June 22, 2014, 01:57:51 AM
Could it be a tad too tight adjusted primary chain along with a slightly worn clutch hub bearing?

xlfan
I looked at that and that is really good.  In fact haven't touched it since I replaced the tension shoe.
Thanks,
Whip

JohnK

could be your clutch pack has worn beyond limit... at which point it will slip and wear more. There should be a minimum stack height specification in the FSM

WhipLash96

Quote from: JohnK on June 23, 2014, 09:22:30 PM
could be your clutch pack has worn beyond limit... at which point it will slip and wear more. There should be a minimum stack height specification in the FSM
there is. .061 or something like that.
Thanks,
Whip

xlfan

Minimum FRICTION PLATE stack height is 0.661''

xlfan

WhipLash96

Quote from: xlfan on June 25, 2014, 07:30:42 AM
Minimum FRICTION PLATE stack height is 0.661''

xlfan
there you go
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Will be taking out the clutch this weekend.  I have to say, I am expecting the worse.  :(
Thanks,
Whip

JBarrettB

Spring plate in the center of the pack may be coming apart.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

WhipLash96

Quote from: JBarrettB on July 03, 2014, 06:09:39 PM

JB
I am going to be looking at the comp closely as well. 
Thanks,
Whip

JBarrettB

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 03, 2014, 06:13:20 PM

JB

I'm talking about the clutch plates, friction and steels, at the center of which is a riveted 'spring plate'.
If that spring plate has failed the entire clutch, inner and outer baskets included, is probably toast.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

WhipLash96

Quote from: JBarrettB on July 03, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 03, 2014, 06:13:20 PM

JB

I'm talking about the clutch plates, friction and steels, at the center of which is a riveted 'spring plate'.
If that spring plate has failed the entire clutch, inner and outer baskets included, is probably toast.

JB
Yes, I am prepared for that. :(
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Well I haven't been able to get very far as once again I don't have everything that I need to do the job. I am waiting on the locking tool for comp sprockets. I was going to use a 1/2" impact  but got jumped all over for that so I will wait until I get that tool.  Always seems to be the way that it goes for me.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

OK, I got the comp nut off and I was really surprised on how easy it was to get loose. I am talking about little effort. Now I have another small issue. Can I use a standard gear puller to loosen the engine sprocket or do I need to use the tool that HD suggests to use? Once I get that off then I do think that it is free sailing from here. Thanks.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I was able to get the engine sprocket along with the clutch off the bike.  I needed a better snap ring pliers to do it but hey, I like tools. Today I am going to take the clutch to my indy and get the plates out. Here are some pictures.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Thanks,
Whip

jbee

Good to see you got it off Whiplash  :up:

While the cover is off give the tensioner shoe a glance to check it's wear.

If you do find you've suffered an anti-rattle plate failure you sometimes find a few of the brass rivets in the drained oil or lying in the bottom once the cover is removed.

Without sounding overly cautious ... If it has done that, bear in mine that the oil is shared with the transmission and some bits may have found their way into the trans compartment As I like to be as close to 100% confident I tend to check but personally I've never found it to cause problems after looking and never found any bits trapped in the gear components but just saying is all.

Good luck

WhipLash96

I was able to get the diaphragm off so I could take a good look at the basket and plates. All looked great there. No chipping or bluish didn't notice any warpage either. Unfortunately life has stopped me from continuing but my next step is is to measure the plates and see what that tells me.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I got everything measured in the clutch and I found that my Steeles are warped out of spec. My friction are still good but near the bottom of the spec. Will order new steels and friction plates tomorrow.
Thanks,
Whip

Wicked

Thanks for getting back with ur hiccup!

WhipLash96

No problem.  This site is so awesome.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Well I got the new plates in an the rotor/engine sprocket and clutch hub is installed on the bike. Now I just need to chase the threads on the primary cover bolts.  I have chosen to put the cover on with no fluid to see if I can get the correct clutch adjustment.  I I can I an going to pull it off and fill full of fluid.here is a quick picture.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Everything is running great!  Thanks everyone for the input given.  I also had to replace the slide as the diaphragm had a small hole it. Time to work the gas out and get some fresh stuff in. The Sportster runs hard, and has better low speed manners. I had an opportunity to bing it up to 90 and did so without any issues.  Thanks again.
Thanks,
Whip

jbee

Glad to see you got it sorted and are enjoying your ride Whiplash.

Nice one.