May 05, 2024, 10:14:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

James MLS Head Gasgets / No "O" Rings? Again?

Started by tinkerman, March 09, 2009, 05:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

Sorry Guys,

I have asked this and had it answered but it was a while back and still not clear and not sure how to get in touch with the James techs if there are any.

Do I/ `Should I use "O" rings between the heads and the cylinders when using the James MLS Gasgets? Seems to me the gasget is not shaped to make space for an o ring....the holes in the gasget are tight to the dowels. If not what seals the oil return gallery going down through the cylinder...just the steel gasget????

Should be finishing up the motor tomorrow. Got the bottom end back in the bike and the cam chest all buttoned up. Pistons in the cylinders (as far as the wrist pin), lifters have been soaking since this morning...so should get the engine finished tomorrow even if I don't get the bike all back together as there is some other "Potty mouth" on the go as well.

Thanks...hopefully will post here tomorrow with the engine all off the bench and in the bike,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

FSG

QuoteSeems to me the gasget is not shaped to make space for an o ring....the holes in the gasget are tight to the dowels. If not what seals the oil return gallery going down through the cylinder...just the steel gasget????

If there's no room for the O-Ring then you do not use it, the head gasket will seal around the oil return dowel.

Bucket

Tinkerman, I know you said  James , But I just installed a set of Cometic and the sheet that came with CLEARLY states NOT to use o rings they were tight on the dowels and embossed in the area. They could be stamped by the same copany

fxr4mikey

no, you do not use o rings when using the James or Cometic head gaskets ... both of them are embossed around the dowels and do not have room for, nor need of, o rings .....

Mine is running now   :smiled:

I'lll post up tomorrow the rest of the pics and the story about how much FUN FUN FUN she is now    GIDDY UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck with the rest of your build Tinkerman !!!!!!!!!
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb