May 01, 2024, 02:31:59 AM

News:

Something is dead

Started by LGshovel, March 09, 2009, 05:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGshovel

Ok, electricity not my strong suit. Gotta Dyna hooked up, used 4.5 OHM coil, got er running smooth and ready for spring. Run a few times, good results, gettin the loose bolts tight, addin the chrome. I go to crank, and realize that I have not got the battery hot enough to carry spark to coil, so I hit it with the charger on start- nothing- Pull plugs, no fire from coil. Both sides read fine, dropping slowly from 5 ohm to zero, input at 12.5, output with switch on at 12.5.
What da hell? So I check wire- cant find a burn through, a spot no where.
Any ideas?

hotham

If your battery is at full charge it should read over 14v.  Check the primary wires where they screw on the coil.  Start tugging on wire terminals and your battery ground cable.

MMOCGuy

LG.

Will the battery crank over the engine? If not, that's the problem. If yes, then the problem is either the Dyna ignition or wiring to the coil.

Which Dyna are you using? Are you sure you have the right coil because some Dynas call for a 3ohm coil and some the standard 5 ohm.

These are just some thoughts I had while reading your post.

Hope it helps.

Norm.

LGshovel

Thanks, but I read way too late to save myself another 150 bucks, cause puter died :angry: job cut from budget  :wtf: and serious drinking followed. Turns out the negative terminal post on battery was cracked, and re-welded each time it broke loose( do you believe this crap?) so I didnt see this until the battery strap started arching- of course I was down to one cylinder at that point, but only 1/2 mile from the house.  But that was only part of the problem, what actually cost me the above. IN my Infinite wisdom. when I re-wired I didnt think I needed an additional engine ground, hey, it is bolted to the frame, right? WRONG. I didnt inspect to see if the enging cradle had been stripped of paint.
God I love this thing. So far I have got 150 miles into the break in, No leaks, no whines, so far no big problems other than this one. But next time I ask a question here, I will wait for a response before blindly leaping into repairs.