May 06, 2024, 06:28:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Computer gurus

Started by Phu Cat, March 09, 2009, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

For the last 3 days (and twice tonight) the curser for my mouse has just stopped moving on the screen no matter what I did.  Going to Ctrl, alt, delete won't do anything.  I have to physically turn the computer off at its main switch then turn it back on. 

Have any idea what's goin on?  how do I get this thing to quit lockin up on me?

Thank you, PC.
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

truck

What kind of mouse? wired, wireless, roller ball, optical?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Rusty Steel

What kind of mouse is it? If it is the old style? try cleaning the ball and socket, reseat cable.
When was the last time you did a disk clean-up, defrag and scandisk?
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

2002classic

Mine did the same thing last year and it was the mouse. Replaced the mouse and no more problems.

Roy

Six Blues

Mine has started doing the same thing. It's not only the mouse, but also the keyboard. Complete lockup. If a page is loading or a file is downloading, it just stops and the screen freezes. I'm thinking it is a hardware or power supply issue.

Phu Cat

FWIW fellas, the mouse is a wired optical job.  I'm ashamed to say it's been so long since I've done a scan disc or defrag I forget how to do it.

PC

Phu Cat

Once I clicked on start, things started coming back.  Wish me luck.

PC

PC_Hater

Buy a Mac and live in peace. A mac-mini will cost, oohh, about the same as a Ness air filter or something and make you a lot happier.
If you don't fancy that, download damnsmalllinux and burn it to a CD, or install it on a USB drive. Then you can run dsl in a window on your PC while you play with it and see if you like what it does.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Panzer

Mr. Phu,
I'm not a computer guru by any means, but mine did that about two years ago.
Found out that it was heat build up in the sucker that made it lock up.
Over a period of a month, the computer would lock up sooner and sooner the more time went on.
I opened the sheet metal case and placed a fan to the side of it.
That slowed the time of freeze up, but still did it eventually.
Correction..........bought a new computer.
But that was just mine.
You might want to clean the fan that does the cooling.
They say to ground yourself if to go inside.
Just saying.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

PC_Hater

OK, some suggestions that might fix it.
Try a different mouse and keyboard.
A lot of dust builds up inside old computers and if there are filters in front of the fans they can block up so the computer gets hotter than it should.
The inside will be filthy. Clean most of it with a lint-free cloth of some kind. You can make the cloth ever so very slightly damp to pick up more dust.
You will remember to unplug from the mains power first won't you??!!!

You can also earth yourself as best you can and remove the RAM cards and then plug them back in. That is usually enough to remove any slight corrosion or dirt buildup that is causing an intermittent connection.
Do the same with any plug-in cards.

If you go into the BIOS (pay attention when the computer starts up to see what keys to press) you can make the pc do a full RAM test on startup. If any other startup tests are set to 'quick' or 'skip' then let the computer do those at startup too. It will slow down startup a lot but is very useful for awhile when hunting the cause of intermittent behaviour such as you are experiencing.

Many CPU chips can report their operating temperature if you have the right bit of software installed. That would let you see if the CPU is overheating at the point when your mouse locks up.

CTRL-ALT-DEL has a very high priority. Something really is wrong if your computer ignores it. Hopefully something simple like a dodgy keyboard!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Phu Cat

Would running Ma's vacuum cleaner around the inside of the computer case pick up most of that lint as long as I bond the vacuum wand to the case?

PC

Panzer

PHU,
To big of a tool. (Ma's vac)
Like driving a finishing nail with a ten lb. maul.

I took my puter out to the edge of the garage, plugged in the air compressor.
With the case off, I gently blew the dust out into the drive.
Be surprised how much dust and the room and puter is vacuumed every week.
Just don't go blowing 120 lbs of air into it, be gentle.
And no, the compressed air cans for the keyboard won't do it, not enough volume.
This way, the hands never touch the insides........smart, huh!

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Phu Cat

Like that idea Panzer.  Think I'll still bond the air nozzle to the case just to be on the safe side.

PC

specialx1

ya but Panzer had to sell it to pay for his OCC bike
it's only kinky the first time

the Grump

Not a computer geek by any means, but I've learned this from experience. My advice would be to get rid of unused files. Clean things up, lighten the load, you'll be surprised how much better it will work. Also, you dont have 2 or more different kinds of virus protection do you. That'll really slow it down.

Panzer

Spexialx1 is like the plague, you just can't kill the beast.  :hyst:

specialx1

changed my ways honest!!! :pop:
it's only kinky the first time

zoot

With the mouse and keybard going out at the same time  it sounds like a overheating problem. Take the air line and blow the thing out good and don't forget the powersupply.They get a lot of stuff in them. Reseat all your cards and turn the computer on and make sure all the fans are working. Processor fan is the main thing to check. If the computer has any age they can and do go bad and freeze up. When the processor overheats the mouse and keyboard will stop working.
Every one has given good suggestions on what to do. I would start with a good cleaning first and go from there. Just my input from being around computers for 20 years.    Walt

cheetah

Check that the power supply fan is still turning. Especially if there are smokers in the room. You'd be supprised how smoke will clog up the fan bearings stopping it from turning.
C
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

Evo160K

Phu Cat,

Same mouse as yours.  Locks up every 2-3 days without fail.  I pull the wire from the USB plug for about 5-6 seconds then put it back.  Works every time for some reason.  I guess it's like powering down/powering up a router.

tireater

I blow my computer out once a month with compressed air outside...it is a real dust magnet...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...