Stock Fat Bob pipes can be made to sound great!

Started by Molly, March 09, 2009, 10:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Took my stock mufflers off and removed the baffles (easy to do - just three rivets). The mufflers are very different to each other but both expect the gasses to go through the most rediculous contortions before they can get out.

Anyway, took them to a mate who took the centre out of one (the one in the pic) leaving it as a large perforated tube with the wadding wrapped around it (welded in a larger end piece to make it look more finished). This one took a bit of work to deconstruct whereas for the other one he just ran a big drill through the plug (all but removing it).

It now sounds really good - very deep sounding. Not too loud at all and not 'clacky' as other drilled pipes I've had can sound. I'm really pleased with them. Saved me NZ$650 for SEs.

Clintster

Glad it worked out for you.  Maybe share a sound bite?
Drive fast, take chances

76shuvlinoff

They put some Rush slip-ons on my Fatbob before it came home with me, actually they were on it as it sat on the showroom floor before I even saw the bike. I really like that sound.  Nothing radical at all , nice and mellow.  Got a old 2 into 1 Thunderheader on the shovel, runs great and there's plenty of noise there if I want it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

PC_Hater

Molly, check the part numbers.
We get different silencers to the USA. Often the International stuff is designed to the quietest regulations they have to meet. I think that is Switzerland.
Bog-standard USA stuff sounded fine to me in 1999! Passed the MOT too. But loud bikes give me a headache anyway.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Phu Cat

Still have the 5/8" stasinless steel rod I drove up my FXRT's pipes.  They (FX mufflers) sound deep with that center piece knocked out.  This will NOT work on touring (FL) mufflers.  They sound crappy without the center piece.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.