May 09, 2024, 12:05:42 AM

News:

Which Cam

Started by Tommy D, June 10, 2014, 09:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy D

June 10, 2014, 09:21:07 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:04:03 AM by Tommy D
Which cam application would suit best as a bolt in,, Andrews 54 or 57? Can either cam use stock pushrods as well?

*2014 103 Twin Cooled Ltd
*FullSac DX Head Pipe
*2.0 CVO Cores
*SE High Flow
*TTS
Acts 4:12

Jaycee1964

57 as is or the 54 with a bit more compression.

If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

djl

Tman 555 Torkster? :wink

Durwood

So many good ones available.

57's
CR 575's
Tman 555 Torqsters

That would be my top 3, and there are many others, just trying to keep it simple.

Whichever grind you decide on, make sure to get a real tune. :up:

bigfoot5x

Well I hope the Andrews 57 is the answer because I just ordered them today. I had the 54's in a 103 with SE 10:1 pistons. That bike ran great! The 54's were originally advertised as needing around 10:1 compression but the 57's are advertised as designed for the stock 103 and its lower compression. There are only a couple of degrees difference in duration and intake closing between the cams with a slight increase in lift for the 57. I have to assume that Andrews knows what they are talking about! I also bought a ThunderMax and V&H Power duals, so I'll see how it runs in a month or so! This will also be my first time with adjustable pushrods so I'm keeping my fingers crossed with them. The 54's will work with stock pushrods and .030 Cometic gaskets. I won't get to work on mine until after the 4th of July.

Durwood

Quote from: bigfoot5x on June 10, 2014, 01:29:53 PM
Well I hope the Andrews 57 is the answer because I just ordered them today. I had the 54's in a 103 with SE 10:1 pistons. That bike ran great! The 54's were originally advertised as needing around 10:1 compression but the 57's are advertised as designed for the stock 103 and its lower compression. There are only a couple of degrees difference in duration and intake closing between the cams with a slight increase in lift for the 57. I have to assume that Andrews knows what they are talking about! I also bought a ThunderMax and V&H Power duals, so I'll see how it runs in a month or so! This will also be my first time with adjustable pushrods so I'm keeping my fingers crossed with them. The 54's will work with stock pushrods and .030 Cometic gaskets. I won't get to work on mine until after the 4th of July.
The 57's will be great in your build :up:

Tommy D

Quote from: bigfoot5x on June 10, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

The new wet head is rated at 10:1.... adding the .030 should bump to 10:3ish?
Will the 57 work using stock push rods,,, really dont want to mess with the adjustables  :scratch:

Tommy D

Quote from: Durwood on June 10, 2014, 12:28:26 PM
So many good ones available.

57's
CR 575's
Tman 555 Torqsters

That would be my top 3, and there are many others, just trying to keep it simple.

Whichever grind you decide on, make sure to get a real tune. :up:

:up:

Thanks for your input, i was originally thinking of going with the SE 204,, but, for the buck, not much of a gain from the new rushmore grind from what i've seen

DeneFLHR

Thanks for your input, i was originally thinking of going with the SE 204,, but, for the buck, not much of a gain from the new rushmore grind from what i've seen
[/quote]
If that statement is true, then stick with the stock Rushmore cams, because if there isn't much of a difference to be had with the 204's, then the same would apply to the 57's.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

oldhippie

'14 cams are an improvement but bolting in 57s ought to still give a nice boost and end up better than earlier bikes because of the extra compression.