April 30, 2024, 04:58:30 PM

News:

Bringin it to life

Started by easyricer, March 10, 2009, 05:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

March 10, 2009, 05:50:23 AM Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:59:18 AM by easyricer
I got to workin on the the 76 this weekend. FINALLY! Sunday, I opened up the primary to find that it was full of water and sludge. The clutch was froze, the compensator rusted up pretty good.
I took a big adjustable wrench to turn the motor over and get past the rusted up primary chain. It took a few tries. the motor moved stiffly but it moved. With the new battery and the primary freed up I figured I'd try the starter. Nothing but a clunk. Messing round I found the starter motor is shot. It's frozen solid.
SO yesterday, I pulled the kick start off my other bike as well as a few other parts, and installed it on the Shovel. Works great. Motor turns over good. was wetsumpted, naturally. The tanks on it are rusted up pretty bad, so I'm gonna replace them.  When I pulled the pipes the front exhaust stud broke off. I welded a nut onto the stud to get it out. only took 3 tries. I also gotta replace the points and condenser. I tried to fire it up but all I got was a few pops.
This up coming weekend I don't know if I'll be able to work on it. But I'm gonna get a few parts for it together.

EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

shov60

Sounds like it will fire check the timing, new set of points and condenser plugs and if it works it will fire. I found a old 70 in a friend uncle shed and
got it for 800. and a lot rusted parts after a little work and a lot of break free it fire right after up about 150 kicks I very happy with my new project
It's all there so I'm going to try and restore it.

pappyfreebird

you dogs!!! must be noice...hey keep us droolers up wid sum pix of these projects (note i dint say stolen projects  eitha) :smiled:

easyricer

Took some time this morning to update the pics titles and comments. SO ya'll can get more than just a picture. I'll have more this weekend.

EASY

76shuvlinoff

Pretty damn cool to get to watch the transformation.   :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

OK finally had some time to play with the bike. I loaded down the Roadglide with the new tanks, foot clutch, tank shifter and a bunch of other parts. Went out to my buddies place where the bike is at and stripped off the old tanks and dash. The pushed it into the shop and looked it over. I used the die grinder with a scotch bright pad to clean up the rocker boxes and had to modify the rear tank mounts a little for the 3.5 gallon tanks to bolt up. Kinda surprising that the 50 year old tanks are in better shape then these 30 year old tanks, LOL.
While I had the tanks off I opened up the bottom of the S&S super E and looked inside. It was a slimy mess! I pulled the jets out and cleaned them up, but I'm gonna have to vat the carb and replace the jets and the needle and seat. I have the S&S dealer kit at the shop so parts for the carb ain't a problem.
So with that in mind I went to installing my tombstone taillight then painting the rear fender with black primer. I also fit the saddlebag guards and saddlebags. Then I got to looking at the shifter and clutch. The old shifter is so worn that it don't stand much of a chance. I had no plans of keeping it anyhow. I installed the rocker clutch then started looking for a way to hook it up. With a little creative bending the rod fit. Then on to the tank shifter. That was a pain! when I first looked at the rod, it was pretty obvious that it was too long, the trick was finding out how much. I ended up shortening it by about 3/4 of an inch and rethreading it.  Once I had it adjusted to where the shifter was centered in the gate I tried it out. WORKED GREAT! 
Well after all that work I went and got the seat out and sat it on the bike. I'm still waiting on the pogo stick and the t-bar but I have some good springs to install on the back to help the pogo out if I need them. I still have to get it reupholstered and I think I'll have it cut down a bit too. The padding is really thick, with just the seat on and no pogo or springs it's TALL!
Well that's all for today.

EASY

76shuvlinoff

all that.

...then I read your sig line..  LOL!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

great read easy..kinda like hangin in the clubhouse..wheres the pix heyhuh?

76shuvlinoff

pappy, click the pic at the end of easy's last post and it takes to his "76 shovel" album
 - Ernest Hemingway

Jusbo48

Now that is one sweet project, am jelous for sure, can wait to seel the ole gal up and in fine shape

pappyfreebird

thanks sns,,dayum easy yous a lucky boy mayum!!!! n the bikes are all fuggan cool too..mebbe sellun my rice chop,,ill know this wk end

easyricer

LMAO Yeah 76 yer right! I will ride the fire out of it once it can ride. I'm too cheap to dump a mess of money into one, but it does have to look decent. (and WORK!) LOL
EASY

jerite

Cant wait to see her done...nutin better then bringing these ol' scoots back to life!!!
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

NormL

does it have the 3 speed/reverse tranny?  I think 70 was the last year for that as I found one for a bud looking for one to use w/ a hack.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

easyricer

March 29, 2009, 10:59:29 PM #14 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:03:00 AM by easyricer
Naw It's a 4 speed ratchet top.  I made the tank shifter myself with a smooth tank gate that I also made myself.
Today I got the carb rebuilt.Armed with a can of Berrymans carb cleaner an air hose and a few new Super E parts, like gaskets, o-rings and a new needle and seat for the float. I hooked up enough wiring to fire the coil and a dash light. I think I may have a problem with the ignition switch, seems that was part of my problem with as much as I had to kick her. I will have to replace the intake seals I'm sure that they are leaking too. I had to turn the idle mixture screw out almost 3 turns and pull the enrichener before she started. She smoked like hell for a while till she warmed up but I expected that since I filled the cylinders with tranny fluid to make sure I could turn the motor over when I picked it up. I rode it around a bit in the yard.
The foot clutch and tank shifter work every bit as good as I had imagined. Will take some getting used to. I'm going to try and get the electric starter working, next week. I found a new starter motor laying around at the shop that can be restored to new for a few bucks. I was only able to get her running long enough for the one ride around the yard. She likes off road riding like my other shovel did! I'm so glad! Because the roads I like to ride on ain't all paved!
My leg is killing me!

EASY

70weight

Lookin good easy. Keep us posted on the progress. Luv readin about it.
Chappy
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

easyricer

March 30, 2009, 09:57:07 PM #16 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:57:25 AM by easyricer
I went back out today to work on it some more. I didn't like the dragpipes at all(I was dragging them every time it turned to the right). So today, I took a take off crossover exhaust from a Heritage Springer, chopped it up and made myself a cross over system for her. Was alot of work with the tig but at $500 for a set of Paughco cross over pipes I think it was well worth it to do the work myself.
I played around with the ignition a bit and with the carb and she now starts with in 3 kicks. The baffled fish tails are much quieter on the cross overs than they were on the drag pipes. Not much louder than stock pipes. I'm kinda likin it like that. I will have to rejet the carb. It's running pretty rich now.
My seat t and pogo stick have still not made it yet but I'll make due with some home made stuff for now to get a good seat on it.
I repainted the motor a little in between while resting my eyes from the welding. My cheap welding hood just does not work well at that low of an amperage on the welder. I get flashed alot.
I have what looks like 2 pin holes in my tanks. So I'll go over the welds and seal them while I have them off to rewire the bike. There's no rust on these tanks that I saw but there are a couple of repairs.
I got no pics today since my niece had my phone all day so I'll get some tomorrow.
EASY

pappyfreebird

well no pix !!! fug ,,well i still dig readin the progress n updates  pappy

easyricer

March 31, 2009, 08:21:49 PM #18 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:03:49 AM by easyricer
Ok Pappy pics are up. got a couple vids for ya too!
didn't get much done on it today, just started her up and rode around the yard a bit.

EASY

pappyfreebird

hey easy i dig them ols cool dualees,,n hearun her putt is a much needed thing up here in freezville.. she gonna be beeyachin...

Jusbo48

watched the video, she sure sounds good, lookin better already.

easyricer

I dug out the new starter out and just for grins tried it out. WORKS fine! All I swapped out was the motor, the drive is working fine. I ordered a set of 31 inch fishtails to replace the 18 inchers I got. I like the fishtails, but they need to come back further.
I have a t-bar for a solo seat that I installed and for now I got the solo seat on it. I've still gotta get the Buddy seat cut down and reupholstered.
SO with the electric start working, the seat mounted, the exhaust fixin to be done. Next I start on the wiring. I have a take off 7 inch headlight at the shop donated my a 99 roadking, and I have to move my breakers. So I'll try and do this with as little change the the wiring job l did to it a few years ago.
I talked with my girlfriend about it and the flat black, just ain't cuttin it. I'm gonna have to get it painted right. She's sayin Midnight blue and silver. I think that sounds good but it's gonna cut into my budget some.
It's just not looking like a junker no more.

EASY

easyricer

April 02, 2009, 08:38:09 PM #22 Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:45:06 PM by easyricer
"http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=55132314,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=";
Let's see if this works.
Webshots won't let me upload straight from my phone, but Myspace will. Go figure!
I got the ignition switch wired up and got the headlight workin as well as the tail light, brake light and dash. Didn't do much else but ride it around a bit.
EASY

easyricer

Last night I didn't have much time to do anything. I replaced the leaking gasket on the primary, installed a switch for the high beam and put a front brake rotor on. I'm planning on replacing the handlebars tonight and loosing the apes. I still need a horn to be legal. I'm planning on getting it registered and inspected on monday. I'm lookin for a roadtrip as soon as possible on this bike. We're both achin to get out of here!
EASY

easyricer

April 04, 2009, 07:05:41 PM #24 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:37:39 PM by easyricer
Well the apes are now gone! I got a set of FXWG bars on it. Kinda like wide mini apes. Internal throttle and hidden switches. I also got an old (1950's era) headlight switch on them. That's good because the china made POS I put on last night done gave up it's ghost! I'll still have to run a wire for the brake light switch but that ain't nothing.
I got a set of wide white wall tires to put on her. Both are HD Dunlop 402's used tires that had been replaced because of nails. I'm running tubes so I really don't care about the nail holes. The price is right though. FREE! I'm planning on mounting them tomorrow. The front wheel has a new tire on it already that I mounted 2 years ago and has only 5 miles on from when I delivered the bike after servicing it, so really I only have to replace the rear tire.
I should also replace the chain but at $120 for a new chain, I'll hold off for a little bit and do it at the shop.
I'm planning on riding this ol gal home monday!

EASY