Started by nibroc, March 10, 2009, 05:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nibroc

snapped these across from H-D daytona in the 18 wheeler mainly for salty

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

saltcaveminer

well thank you (again)nibroc!!Salty

IBARider

cool!  OK guys, I'd like a history lessen if you'll oblige.  By the fender/seat combo, is this like a 70/71?  Later.

What years did they do away with;

Right side shift
Drop in distributor
Vented to ground
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Pynzo

Right side shift's last year was '74, drop in circuit breaker's last year was '70, don't know about the vent pipe.

saltcaveminer

the boatail was an accessory that was available in 70 and 71.the seat color option was white$90. or black$60.its actually two fenders.there is a lower fender which resembles a stock rear with the taillight area cut off and then the top fiberglass unit.a grab bar could also be installed.also there is a fiberglass front fender.for those years.Salty

xxxflhrci

I know a guy that bought a 1970 in that color with a boattail brand new.  He still has the bike.  He rode it home and his buddies made so much fun of the fender that he called the dealer and had them order a regular fender.  He swapped out the boattail and sold it years ago.  He still has the bike....something like 20k miles on it....just no boattail.

nibroc

used to put the boatail on just to change the looks of the bike--blowed their mind when I changed tanks but I always went back to the old solo seat

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Speeding Big Twin

Because the boat-tail section on the Sportster wasn't that well received by the public I've always wondered why H-D went ahead with it for the 1971 Super Glide. In Willie G's book he says H-D was trying to find out whether they had touched a nerve in the custom market when they began showing pictures of the prototype FX in 1969. He adds that although there wasn't enough to suggest they create an original-equipment bike like the FX prototype, company management believed in it so it was built as a production bike. I would have liked to have read the Sportster article in the magazine below.     Eric

saltcaveminer

i have the magazine.if you would like a copy of the article just send me a # to fax.Salty

saltcaveminer

hey nibroc see what you started?lo it all good!!lSalty

Speeding Big Twin

Salty, thanks for the offer. I've sent you an email. I've never owned a Sportster but a couple of my mates bought new 1974 XLCHs. A while back I spotted a 1957 Sporty in the newspaper and I was going to buy it because it was a first-year model but I was the second caller and missed it. Here's a picture of a 1971 Sportster and a 1971 FX from the 2009 AMCA calendar.     Eric

Speeding Big Twin

Salty, thanks for faxing the article. I got it this morning at work. And for anyone else interested Cycle World gave the Sportster a good write-up and they liked the boat-tail, describing it as racer-ly.     Eric