May 06, 2024, 02:59:19 PM

News:

Albuquerque

Started by low_rider1979, March 10, 2009, 08:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_rider1979

How difficult is it to get around in Albuquerque?  Several of us are thinking of riding down the end of April for a conf., none of us have been there.  Rumor has it that the traffic is a bear.  We will be checking into the Hyatt on Tijeras.  Is it going to be all that bad on bikes?
Thanks
HTT member since 2002

CraigArizona85248

I've spent a lot of time in ABQ.  Never had any trouble getting around.  Most of my work was in the NW part of town up near Rio Rancho.  Weather temps should be nice in April but it is usually very windy that time of year.

-Craig

sfarson

Haven't had any issues there either.  If you have a chance ride to the top of the Sandia Crest to the east which overlooks Albuquerque.

Upswept

It isn't any worse than any other city.  Just ride out of Albuquerque for some nice roads.  Crime is a big problem, so be sure to lock them up at night and park near your window.

L-

Crime is number one or two in the nation and that is murder and drugs.  Right now they are digging on the West Mesa uncovering a lot of women's bodies.  That is really not a problem.   Insurance...... I believe that 4 out of 5 people do not have any kind of auto insurance in New Mexico.  That is a problem as there is a lot of hit and run here due to drivers being drunk or having a car load of dope.  Red light running is a horrible problem.  Rio Rancho, damn near goes to Bernalillo now. I can get around just fine.  Read your maps, do your home work on the GPS's, look left and right before you take off from a stop light and carry a big ass caliber pistol on your hip in plain sight.  Oh, it is a small misdemeanor if carried concealed.  Come on down and enjoy the wind.  It musta been 70 mph two days ago.  And no, I don't live there but my girlfriend does.

L-

crazy joe

I worked in Albuq off and on for about 5 yrs last time I was there was in Aug   traffic is
not that bad as long as its not rush hr. Getting around ..... its one of the easiest city's
to drive in. 70 mph winds?   more like 30-35 mph from what the news said and friends
that live there     I use one of the TV stations web sites to keep up on the weather there
in case I have to go back. Crime didn't seem any worse then other big city's I have
been in (Albuq really doesn't seem that big)

texaskatfish

As others have said up on 'The Crest' is awesome! Albq is the only city I know that doesn't have sunrise till mid morning (5000 ft Crest is due east)

In Albq you're within easy riding / striking distance of Santa Fe, Taos, Red River, Eagles Nest(the Viet Nam Memorial is not to be missed!), the Rio Grande Gorge and heck even Durango Colorado aint that far...............

to the south Ruidoso and White Sands aren't too far either..........
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

tdkkart

Was down there for a week in the summer of '05. Stayed at a motel out by the airport. The motel managers had a constant job running off the panhandlers trying to get "spare change" off the customers.

We needed a few groceries one day so went to the west side of the interstate and found a grocery store. Later a couple of the locals heard that we had gone over there. They thought I was nut's, "you don't wanna go over there again." :gob:

There was a WalMart a bit east of us, went there a couple times also, then heard someone got shot there the day we left town. :duel:

Traffic didn't seem too bad, we arrived in town late Friday afternoon, did alot of riding around town during the week and had no troubles at all.

Sorry, don't remember who it was, but met a list member while we were there.

Memnar

I'm in Albuquerque, no problems. I think its prospective, the locals thinks its a lot of traffic when its only a 10 minute delay.

Ask if you have more questions--

-Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

Upswept

tdkkart-That's exactly why I left after living there four years.  I need to feel safe at home.

abogiant

I live 70 miles out of albuq and go there all the time for the last 60 years and never had any problems.
abo