May 08, 2024, 11:53:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Backing Plate w/ears, Super 'E' to 80" EVO questions

Started by 1982fxr, June 18, 2014, 09:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

So I got the S&S backing plate and intake to mount my Super E to my 1998 80" evo big twin.  New to Evo so maybe these are dumb questions.  I got one of those cheap breather kits w/a crossover tube and the banjo bolts.  Pic of the backing plate...

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/402-455?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CKuqjI-Khb8CFRBhfgodGJgAbw

1.  Most of the aftermarket breather kits I see use regular banjo bolts w/bolt heads.  If you look at the 'ears' on that plate, on the outside they are 'recessed' down in there.  And the holes are elongated.  So once the bolt draws itself into the backing plate as you tighten it will stop because it can no longer be turned.  So do they want you to take a few washers and grind them down so they fit into the recess and move the bolt-head "outward" so you can turn it until it is tight?

And if that's the case couldn't they have included the washers at least since they are not normal size?

2.  At about the 1 o'clock position you see 3 holes close together.  The middle one is a hole in the plate with a short straight steel tube pressed into it.  You can't tell in the pic because it sticks out to the 'inside'.  There is not a ferrule/barb on it like it was meant to hold a hose so what is it for?

guido4198

I'm gonna suggest you give the S&S tech line a call with your questions. I had a questions myself, and calling them not only helped a lot, but also revealed that they have an improved system available these days for securing the backing plate/breather tube to the heads.
The kit I got from them TOTALLY resolved the leakage I had going on without resorting to silicone or any kind of goop.