May 09, 2024, 07:01:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

which cam runs coolest

Started by hd02us, June 20, 2014, 06:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd02us

2013 FLHTC
Which cam will run cooler for the 103 engine?
A lot of the choices look very similar on the dyno charts.

FXDBI

There is a lot more to running a cooler engine than cam selection. The cam has little to do with it. The state of TUNE and selection of compatible engine parts are 2 of the biggest things.  Bob

UltraNutZ

June 20, 2014, 07:57:10 AM #2 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:46:01 AM by UltraNutZ
non-restrictive intake, non-restrictive exhaust, cam of your choice, and most importantly IMO the tune are what's going to make your bike run coolest.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

prodrag1320

we`ve seen temps drop with S&S .570`s

drgn*95

I don't mean to derail the thread but on my upcoming 98" build my indy suggest to run cooler install a 5 qt. Oil bag on my 06 SG which currently 4 qt. Sound right?

Matt C

Anything with a later intake close (all else being equal) will run cooler in theory.

BUBBIE

:missed:

More Compression= MORE Heat
Less Compression = LESS Heat.

Lean = HEAT
Rich = less heat
Too Rich = CARBON.... :nix:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

prodrag1320

Quote from: drgn*95 on June 20, 2014, 08:54:50 AM
I don't mean to derail the thread but on my upcoming 98" build my indy suggest to run cooler install a 5 qt. Oil bag on my 06 SG which currently 4 qt. Sound right?

it will help with lowering oil temp (a little),but not cylinder head (& top end temp in general)temp,witch is usually the problem with most motors running too hot

strokerjlk

Anything with 30 deg of overlap or better
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

TorQuePimp

Added oil capacity without added cooling will do nothing to reduce heat

An increase in overlap and added exhaust duration reguardless of tune does not help reduce heat...IMO

A better flowing exhaust system helps....alot

drgn*95

Quote from: torqueinc on June 20, 2014, 01:03:34 PM
  Added oil capacity without added cooling will do nothing to reduce heat

An increase in overlap and added exhaust duration reguardless of tune does not help reduce heat...IMO

A better flowing exhaust system helps....alot
If meant for me, I do have oil cooler and heads are being ported and Bassani Road Rage II, or their B4 exaust