April 27, 2024, 05:03:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing curve question

Started by TarheelBagger, March 10, 2009, 01:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelBagger

Getting started with tuning my 103 CVO Eglide with a DTT Twin Scan 88+.  I raised the corrected compression by changing the cams from the SE253 with a 53 intake close to a DME510 with a 38 intake close.  Very mild with only 165 cranking compression.  It runs really strong, but I think the 253 stage one timing map is a little too aggressive for these cams as I am getting some slight pinging when rolling on the throttle at 2500 rpm in 4th gear.  My question is, could I use the 203 stage one timing map from a previous 95 inch build that ran great with no issues and had 180 cranking compression for a starter map?  The cams I am using are much closer in specs to the 203 than the 253.  The timing numbers are considerably less in the area where I am hearing the ping.  Is there any reason that a timing curve from another engine with fairly similar corrected compression would not work, even if it was a 95 rather than a 103?  Still learning and I appreciate any input.
2005 CVO Electra Glide
Charlotte, North Carolina