May 06, 2024, 05:50:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT Invisible Fence

Started by Anthony, March 11, 2009, 03:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

I have been in my current house for 8 years. Just before I moved in the prior owners had an invisible fence pet containment system installed. When they left I let them take the transmitter since I had no need. My daughters dog is well trained and a smart little guy. He is not a wanderer. At Christmas time I bought my 11 year old son every little boys dream dog , a Golden Retriever. This dog needs the fence ! I bought a new transmitter and fixed known breaks. Still no luck. Both an ohm meter and the transmitter itself still indicate break(s)  I have a general idea of where the wiring runs based on the lay of the land. I also tried using an RF choke and an AM radio to detect the signal in hopes of finding breaks/location of the wire. No luck. Any tips/ideas or should I just replace the wiring ? This is not totally OT.....This project is stopping me from riding ! Anthony

Big Dan

March 11, 2009, 04:08:37 AM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:12:02 AM by Big Dan
The wire is dirt cheap, and your local Home Depot rents the little trencher to install it. I fenced a little over a half acre of our property for our dogs in about an hour. Knowing that, I think I'd just start fresh and run a whole new wire.

Edit: You'll also need to set the flags and do the training with the dog. Success rate is much higher that way.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

maineultraclassic

The wire is just 18 or 20 gauge single wire, I would just pick up a new spool of it and start fresh. I used the edger attachement for my weed wacker and put the wire about 2-3" deep in the lawn, then put the dirt back in over it and tamped it down with my foot. I did about 1.5 acres here at our house for our dog, and haven't had any problems at all yet with the wire.

PetCo or PetSmart both have the supplies in the stores, or just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the wire there.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Rags722

Anthony,

Just keep in mind, once you get everything working....  If you take the dog for a ride in the car, DON'T stop at the mailbox and check the mail unless you turned the system off.  Well, it is kinda fun with an ugly assed dog, but cruel with a Golden.

Anthony

Thanks for the info fellas. I figured as much. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing a trick. I bought a complete kit from Pet Smart. I started pulling up the old wiring yesterday. I figure Ill "trench " the yard  by continuing to pull up the wiring. I want to follow the same path so the wiring lines up with the slot in the driveway as well as the hole in the wall to the garage.

I will go easy on her at the mail box !  Something else. After she is trained how will I get her to cross the line to go for walks ? Anthony 

Big Dan

Put a leash on her and remove the collar. The leash is key here. She needs to know that it is never okay to cross that line when not on a leash.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

JamLazyAss

She needs to know that it is never okay to cross that line when not on a leash.

After getting zapped a few times, she'll start to get the idea.
But she is a Golden Retriever, not exactly the sharpest tool in the woodshed.
Oh man, even on a dog thread the shed surfaces.  :potstir:
Ok fella's, this is your que...
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Panzer

NOPE ! :teeth:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HroadhogD1

I never thought those fences were a good idea.  They might keep your dog in, but a big pit bull can still walk right in.

Gomer

You can find the break in the wire with an am radio on a stick with head phones. Tune the radio untill you get static near the wire, run the radio along the wire , it will change tone when you encounter a break. I have 4 acres in the fence and have found several breaks this way.