May 05, 2024, 04:49:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Handguns in Canada

Started by f-x-d-w-g, March 11, 2009, 06:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f-x-d-w-g

My brother and I are thinking of riding to Alaska in the next couple of years and I'm wondering about transporting handguns through Canada.  I seem to recall in the 70s that you could present your piece to Canadian customs on entry and they'd document and seal it to prevent its use.  On exit you had to clear customs and show that gun was still in your possession (not sold or given away) and not used.

Is that a true memory and is it still possible today?  There's a lot of bears in the far north and I'd like to have the protection if possible.  Don't want the hassle of shipping from dealer to dealer.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

northbrun

I went up to Nova Scota last summer, and asked the border guard this question. He told me that a handgun would be confiscated, and held for me while i was in Canada, and returned to me upon leaving the country. (providing my licence was in order)  but I'll be watching this post myself.

MrClean

These are the facts according to my opinions.

JamLazyAss

Sounds like a Royal P.I.T.A. to me  :potstir:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

f-x-d-w-g

Doesn't look like it's worth the effort.

Wonder if I can carry enough gas and food to get entirely across Canada without spending a dime there...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

specialx1

aint worth the hassle , just have your running shoe,s on if ya come across bear's :pop:
it's only kinky the first time

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: specialx1 on March 11, 2009, 08:23:36 AM
aint worth the hassle , just have your running shoe,s on if ya come across bear's :pop:

I keep hearing that bear spray is the way to go... but I won't be testing it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HV

We ride all over the place up here with out Guns ... unless your in a big City Slum parked for the night you don't have any need for one... ( Although you may  feel a need to Off a squirrel or the odd Moose for fresh meat )  .. :hyst:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

CndUltra88

Guys and Gals, leave your guns at home.
You'll be safe enough without them, not to mention the less than freind reception you will recieve from the local police.
I wish we had the "Right to Bare Arms" but ..alas it aint so here in Canad.
If your worried about Grizzlies and or Black Bears, remember you only have to run faster than your buddy  :)
Come on up and enjoy what Canada has to offer if you like.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

FSG

.....  remember you only have to run faster than your buddy  :)

:hyst:

Blazing Saddles

I have had the  "gun" discussion with dozens of my US friends, US riding friends and US riders I have met on the road. I must say that you should not miss out on riding in Canada just because you can't bring your piece with you. We ride everywhere all the time with no thought of needing a hand gun to protect us. I have talked to riders in the US near the Canadian border who simply refused to go without their handgun and I have also met US riders who were riding in Canada and having a great ride with out any fear of being without their guns.

Try it - you'll like it.  Hey, I ride thousands of miles every year in the US without a gun because as a Canadian I can't carry either here or in the US. Should we never ride in the US because we can't carry??? I don't hate the US because we are not allowed to carry - I go there, watch my ass as I always do and have a good time.

Blazin'

stroker800

If you want to spend hours to days at customs and have paper work dug up to the date of birth..This will include any & all mistakes you might have made in the past and then maybe turned back..There is not really a need for guns here in Canada,of course we have our rifles no issues,,,but handguns,,,good luck..It would probaly be easier to buy one in Alaska...A handgun will get you tossed in jail if caught with and you will scare our police.
Dave

flstc03

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer and found out the disappointing news too. Can't even take pepper spray across the border, but you can buy it on the other side. Still, it should be an enjoyable trip with some nice country to see. There's a discussion on what to do or not to do at border crossing on the Adventure Rider site if any is interested http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45732

Mtrman

It isnt worth the hassle... a Canadian citizen must inform the police even when the gun will be transported to and from a firing range by the owner. So if pull ya over and ridin cross country with one.....it will be confiscated. Adding to his  home collection undoubtedly!!

Enjoy Canuckland

apes

a firearm is a required part of a survival kit in an Aircraft in AK.  A few years back we flew from Fairbanks to Dawson and the High Standard .22 was confiscated at the customs check, never to be seen again.  The customs person wouldn't even except the fact that it was part of the AC survival package.  As for bears, be smart and they will not be a problem.  I worked in / lived in the bush for 22 summers and never had a problem, they came through camp and occasionally got nosey but I never had to shoot one and I always packed a .44 mag or shotgun

dablaze

The bears up here don't have guns either. I have worked some nasty jobs in Canadian low rent housing, bars in Hull, Quebec and never felt the need for a gun. Now if Grumpy and Acetxx come up here huntin us Canadians for food when things get bad...well we are gonna have to start putting rocks in our snowballs to defend ourselves!

Hope you don't give up on your ride, I spend a lot of time in the USA and enjoy evry time, I am hoping you enjoy your time here too.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

HyperDetroit

If you really want to have your pistol with you in Alaska, I am sure you can have it sent from your place of residence to Alaska through a federal firearms licensed dealer and pick it up in Alaska when you get there.  Then you can send it back through the same dealer back home before getting into Canada again.  Just a suggestion...
Like others have said, it doesn't look like it's worth a hassle to try going thru Canada with the handgun.
Всё в руках божьих

f-x-d-w-g

No, I don't need to carry - that's just my preference.  As an air force pilot in Alaska I also did a lot of civilian flying for pleasure.  It was when I learned that it was required to be armed while flying in Alaska that I bought my .44 Magnum at Wards or Pennys.  Ah...  Weren't those the days?  No waiting, no paperwork.  Just $125 and take the pistol and a box of ammo home.

I just got used to carrying when I was in the wilderness.  The one time I didn't carry the .44, a sow black bear and her cub decided to sample the delights of my campsite.  I would never consider shooting a critter except in the most extreme case.  This time I just retreated to my car and watched and took pictures.  BTW, black bears, at least in in Alaska, don't like Cheetos!

I knew Canada had restrictions - I just didn't think they were so ridiculous.  A final memory of Canada.  I drove out of Fairbanks towing my bike.  After breakfast in Beaver Creek, YT, I headed south.  Customs was located a bit off the road and the building was blocked by a tour bus and I didn't see it.  Thirty miles down the road the Mounties caught up to me and made me go back to Beaver Creek where the customs officer could say nothing more than, "You Americans should learn to obey our laws" and "You can wait until Tuesday for the judge (this was Saturday morning) or pay me $120 Canadian" and "No, I don't want US money".  So I had to go back to the cafe where I had breakfast and cash a traveler's check to pay the customs officer.

BTW, he didn't ask if I had any firearms, bear spray, drugs, what's my reason for visiting Canada, or anything else for that matter.  Just "Gimme your money".  Maybe he was having a bad day after the tour bus.  I'm not kidding - the bus totally blocked my view of customs and, if there was a sign, I didn't see it.  I was told that customs was somewhere inside Canada and not at the border.  I thought it was somewhere ahead.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

JohnnyM

I am considering a bike trip to Alaska this summer, so I called the Canadian embassy and asked questions.  About guns; with the proper papers and approvals shotguns and rifles used for hunting might be allowed.  All handguns are absolutely prohibited.  When asked why I wanted to bring a handgun I explained that I would be on a bike and wanted protection from predators both two and four legged.    She assured me that the Mounties would give me all the protection I needed.  When I asked how much one of them weighed because I was afraid they were too heavy for me to carry, she didn’t even chuckle. 

JamLazyAss

I have a carry/conceal pistol permit.
But to the best of my knowledge it is only good for my state of residence.
How would it be legal to carry in Alaska even if the Canadian's let you/me through with it?

Do you guys have a FFL (Federal Firearms License)?

Guess I don't understand. CRS

f-x-d-w-g

Ah, Jam. you must have never been out of oppressive NY.  I carried openly in Colorado.  No permit required unless concealed.  Many states including Alaska recognize the permits of other states.  New York does not recognize other state's permits.  It was when I came to NY that I learned that my gun was unregistered and unlawful.  Good thing I left it with family in Clorado before spending SIX MONTHS AND THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a permit to own something that I purchased legally in another state.

BTW, seems everyone I know here has a carry permit that they got 20 or more years ago.  These days it seems impossible to get one in Onondaga county.  I'll just keep asking and, hopefully some day, I'll find a sympathetic judge who honors our constitution more than fearing a bunch of...  Oh, well, I didn't intend to get up on my soapbox so I'll leave it at that.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Coyote

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 12, 2009, 07:50:43 AM
I have a carry/conceal pistol permit.
But to the best of my knowledge it is only good for my state of residence.
How would it be legal to carry in Alaska even if the Canadian's let you/me through with it?

Do you guys have a FFL (Federal Firearms License)?

Guess I don't understand. CRS

AK does not require any permit to carry. (As long as you can legally own a weapon.) Also, many states have reciprocity. My Utah permit is good in about 30 states.

JamLazyAss

FXDWG: Thanks for the info. I too got mine over thirty years ago in Onondaga County.
COYOTE: Guess I'll try to see where else my New York State permit is accepted. Google???

Coyote

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 12, 2009, 08:27:55 AM
FXDWG: Thanks for the info. I too got mine over thirty years ago in Onondaga County.
COYOTE: Guess I'll try to see where else my New York State permit is accepted. Google???

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on your state

JamLazyAss

Quote from: Coyote on March 12, 2009, 08:34:55 AM
Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 12, 2009, 08:27:55 AM

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on your state

Coyote,
Great site! Thanks for the information.
No doubt many of us will benefit from this.

HyperDetroit

In Alaska and Vermont you don't even need permit to carry.  The only reason Alaska gives out permits is so that it would be honored by other states Alaska residents may visit.  You can look up reciprocity maps for every state for concealed carry, most are good in many more states than one.  (MI permit is valid in 35 other states).
Всё в руках божьих

silvercab996

As a gun collector, shooter, handloader with more than 2 dozen hand guns, that has had a motorcycle license for over 40 years and traveled all over, I can say packing while riding or traveling is really unnecessary. I've never packed while riding and never bothered with a Conceiled Weapons permit. I've never felt threatened while riding or traveling. I also hike alone at least once a week for miles in the back country. I've seen many wild animals and poisonous snakes but never felt the need for protection so I leave the guns home.

GLFLSTCI02

"Handguns in Canada" Not required.

Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

sharkoilfield

I legally carried an open handgun in Alberta Canada for years; in the bush. The permit read "for protection of self and others from predators" and "not to be worn in poulated or built up areas" It only expired 2 years ago and included the ability to transport anywher in the province, anytime. I even helped a couple of friends get the same permit...but it's not easy and it's not intended for just anyone. In our national parks, thousands of hikers venture every year without firearms; very few are eaten alive except by mosquitos...

Sorry you had a bad border crossing experience; I've crossed many borders many times and can say I only had trouble once and that was south of Aldergrove BC

JohnnyM

According to the NRA "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is not necessary in Alaska".  That being said no one will know I have a handgun unless I really really need it.  Then, getting arrested and losing my gun is the least of my troubles.  Further, I don't think I would be in serious trouble in most of the western states unless I am doing something gross.

f-x-d-w-g

For all the folks who like to say, "You don't need one", I, for the most part, agree.  But I live by the philosophy that I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

When I  bought my .44 magnum hand gun in Alaska it was never intended to be used to shoot anything.  Why piss off a charging bear?  My intent, whether it would work or not, was to make a big, loud noise and hope that would startle the animal.  Shooting any animal (including humans) would ONLY be my last-ditch resort.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

sawbrk1

Back in the 80s I worked in Kotzebue Alaska. I had only been there a few days, when I met the Chief of Police. The first thing he asked me was if I was packing, when I said no, he said "you should be". This was in the dead of winter, and there really isnt anwhere to go, except stay in town.......I wonder what he meant.

saw

cig

Quote from: sawbrk1 on March 21, 2009, 10:06:40 AM
Back in the 80s I worked in Kotzebue Alaska. I had only been there a few days, when I met the Chief of Police. The first thing he asked me was if I was packing, when I said no, he said "you should be". This was in the dead of winter, and there really isnt anwhere to go, except stay in town.......I wonder what he meant.

saw
I had a cop say the same thing to me in E.St.Louis. They don't even allow you to carry in Illinois. :crook:
cig 
Alton, Illinois

thunderalley3

" Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away "

Anyhow, My concealed is good in 34 states, I believe, haven't checked in the last couple weeks as it changes due to regulations from state to state changing,I am lucky and get to hit most of the lower 48 atleast once a year, and I would not think of leaving my driveway without it. Remember if the state that you are traveling through does not recognize your permit, you just have to put it in travel mode, which varies. Some require unloaded, some require locked, some require dis assembled, just do your homework.

Having my in a holster under an open shirt saved me a bunch of issues one night just north of Kansas City, I pulled in to fuel, small area, station closed but pumps on for card purchases, lot's of those out there. I am fueling my pickup, walked around the trailer, lights and tire check, was standing by the side by the open door, always keep the truck running and door open just incase, and in pulls a car of 4, straight off the hill, circled and pulled up at the other side of the pump, sat a minute and the rear passenger side person get's out and at that point I felt uneasy, I stepped to the side of the pump, into sight and pulled my shirt back so my piece showed, the driver instantly blew the horn, dropped in gear and the person that had gotten out jumped back in and they sped out.My heart about jumped out of my shirt. Obviously they did not need gas, and from their appearance, and vehicle did not have a card for fuel, so I am quite sure an ugly scene was avoided. Could I have gotten in trouble for showing my firearm, sure, but I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Loose

panhead_dan

If you think crossing into Canada is a drag, just wait till you cross back in...

OK BOYS, GET OFF THE BIKES. HANDS UP AGAINST THE WALL!

And the subject of a handgun would not be a good discussion topic.

I went on a bike trip a few years ago. The object was tent camping in the beautiful Canadian Rockies. After a long disscussion at the border, it seems that the only defense you may have against grizzlies is pepper spray. This sounded a little too adventurous to me so I chose to do my tent camping in beautiful Montana instead. I doubt that I'll ever go to Canada again. But then again, you say they will allow a rifle?

JPK455

Too bad some feel you have to carry a gun to travel in Canada or will not go to Canada because you can not take your gun. To date I have never heard of any biker that was camping in Canada killed by wildlife of any sort, except hitting a deer or moose or maybe those scary Bears on the highways. So unless you feel the need to shoot the animal to get them off the road you should be more than safe to sleep in a tent in a camp ground.

HV

We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack   :hyst:

Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 03:49:28 PM
We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack   :hyst:

When you get to Cali next week, keep your eye out for the man-eating jackalopes. They hunt in packs here.  :teeth:

thunderalley3

Or the man eating Jack's that want to Alope, depending on where you are  :hyst:

HV

Quote from: Coyote on March 21, 2009, 03:53:01 PM

When you get to Cali next week, keep your eye out for the man-eating jackalopes. They hunt in packs here.  :teeth:

Ill grab a extra bag of peanuts to throw at them and ward them off  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 04:54:44 PM
Quote from: Coyote on March 21, 2009, 03:53:01 PM
We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack 

Ill grab a extra bag of peanuts to throw at them and ward them off  :wink:

That should do it. Now riding through San Fran, you will need to look out for.... uh, nevermind..  PM sent.  :hyst:

HV

Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 05:13:35 PM
:hyst: No comment!!

And if you ride in on an interstate (please don't) they will have agricultural inspection stations (really, I'm not kidding). Make sure you don't have any fruits, vegetables or nuts. Apparently we have enough already and they will confiscate, fine or shoot you if you try.  :embarrassed: