May 05, 2024, 02:25:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Handguns in Canada

Started by f-x-d-w-g, March 11, 2009, 06:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyperDetroit

In Alaska and Vermont you don't even need permit to carry.  The only reason Alaska gives out permits is so that it would be honored by other states Alaska residents may visit.  You can look up reciprocity maps for every state for concealed carry, most are good in many more states than one.  (MI permit is valid in 35 other states).
Всё в руках божьих

silvercab996

As a gun collector, shooter, handloader with more than 2 dozen hand guns, that has had a motorcycle license for over 40 years and traveled all over, I can say packing while riding or traveling is really unnecessary. I've never packed while riding and never bothered with a Conceiled Weapons permit. I've never felt threatened while riding or traveling. I also hike alone at least once a week for miles in the back country. I've seen many wild animals and poisonous snakes but never felt the need for protection so I leave the guns home.

GLFLSTCI02

"Handguns in Canada" Not required.

Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

sharkoilfield

I legally carried an open handgun in Alberta Canada for years; in the bush. The permit read "for protection of self and others from predators" and "not to be worn in poulated or built up areas" It only expired 2 years ago and included the ability to transport anywher in the province, anytime. I even helped a couple of friends get the same permit...but it's not easy and it's not intended for just anyone. In our national parks, thousands of hikers venture every year without firearms; very few are eaten alive except by mosquitos...

Sorry you had a bad border crossing experience; I've crossed many borders many times and can say I only had trouble once and that was south of Aldergrove BC

JohnnyM

According to the NRA "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is not necessary in Alaska".  That being said no one will know I have a handgun unless I really really need it.  Then, getting arrested and losing my gun is the least of my troubles.  Further, I don't think I would be in serious trouble in most of the western states unless I am doing something gross.

f-x-d-w-g

For all the folks who like to say, "You don't need one", I, for the most part, agree.  But I live by the philosophy that I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

When I  bought my .44 magnum hand gun in Alaska it was never intended to be used to shoot anything.  Why piss off a charging bear?  My intent, whether it would work or not, was to make a big, loud noise and hope that would startle the animal.  Shooting any animal (including humans) would ONLY be my last-ditch resort.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

sawbrk1

Back in the 80s I worked in Kotzebue Alaska. I had only been there a few days, when I met the Chief of Police. The first thing he asked me was if I was packing, when I said no, he said "you should be". This was in the dead of winter, and there really isnt anwhere to go, except stay in town.......I wonder what he meant.

saw

cig

Quote from: sawbrk1 on March 21, 2009, 10:06:40 AM
Back in the 80s I worked in Kotzebue Alaska. I had only been there a few days, when I met the Chief of Police. The first thing he asked me was if I was packing, when I said no, he said "you should be". This was in the dead of winter, and there really isnt anwhere to go, except stay in town.......I wonder what he meant.

saw
I had a cop say the same thing to me in E.St.Louis. They don't even allow you to carry in Illinois. :crook:
cig 
Alton, Illinois

thunderalley3

" Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away "

Anyhow, My concealed is good in 34 states, I believe, haven't checked in the last couple weeks as it changes due to regulations from state to state changing,I am lucky and get to hit most of the lower 48 atleast once a year, and I would not think of leaving my driveway without it. Remember if the state that you are traveling through does not recognize your permit, you just have to put it in travel mode, which varies. Some require unloaded, some require locked, some require dis assembled, just do your homework.

Having my in a holster under an open shirt saved me a bunch of issues one night just north of Kansas City, I pulled in to fuel, small area, station closed but pumps on for card purchases, lot's of those out there. I am fueling my pickup, walked around the trailer, lights and tire check, was standing by the side by the open door, always keep the truck running and door open just incase, and in pulls a car of 4, straight off the hill, circled and pulled up at the other side of the pump, sat a minute and the rear passenger side person get's out and at that point I felt uneasy, I stepped to the side of the pump, into sight and pulled my shirt back so my piece showed, the driver instantly blew the horn, dropped in gear and the person that had gotten out jumped back in and they sped out.My heart about jumped out of my shirt. Obviously they did not need gas, and from their appearance, and vehicle did not have a card for fuel, so I am quite sure an ugly scene was avoided. Could I have gotten in trouble for showing my firearm, sure, but I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Loose

panhead_dan

If you think crossing into Canada is a drag, just wait till you cross back in...

OK BOYS, GET OFF THE BIKES. HANDS UP AGAINST THE WALL!

And the subject of a handgun would not be a good discussion topic.

I went on a bike trip a few years ago. The object was tent camping in the beautiful Canadian Rockies. After a long disscussion at the border, it seems that the only defense you may have against grizzlies is pepper spray. This sounded a little too adventurous to me so I chose to do my tent camping in beautiful Montana instead. I doubt that I'll ever go to Canada again. But then again, you say they will allow a rifle?

JPK455

Too bad some feel you have to carry a gun to travel in Canada or will not go to Canada because you can not take your gun. To date I have never heard of any biker that was camping in Canada killed by wildlife of any sort, except hitting a deer or moose or maybe those scary Bears on the highways. So unless you feel the need to shoot the animal to get them off the road you should be more than safe to sleep in a tent in a camp ground.

HV

We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack   :hyst:

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 03:49:28 PM
We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack   :hyst:

When you get to Cali next week, keep your eye out for the man-eating jackalopes. They hunt in packs here.  :teeth:

thunderalley3

Or the man eating Jack's that want to Alope, depending on where you are  :hyst:

HV

Quote from: Coyote on March 21, 2009, 03:53:01 PM

When you get to Cali next week, keep your eye out for the man-eating jackalopes. They hunt in packs here.  :teeth:

Ill grab a extra bag of peanuts to throw at them and ward them off  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 04:54:44 PM
Quote from: Coyote on March 21, 2009, 03:53:01 PM
We travel and Camp all over the country with no Hand guns .. Man we must be brave !!  seen a few saber toothed squirrels lurking in trees ready to attack 

Ill grab a extra bag of peanuts to throw at them and ward them off  :wink:

That should do it. Now riding through San Fran, you will need to look out for.... uh, nevermind..  PM sent.  :hyst:

HV

Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV® on March 21, 2009, 05:13:35 PM
:hyst: No comment!!

And if you ride in on an interstate (please don't) they will have agricultural inspection stations (really, I'm not kidding). Make sure you don't have any fruits, vegetables or nuts. Apparently we have enough already and they will confiscate, fine or shoot you if you try.  :embarrassed: