Any good bike shops in the Santa Maria, California area?

Started by GlockRocket34, March 11, 2009, 07:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlockRocket34

I'm in the Santa Maria/Lompoc area of California for the next two weeks and was wondering if there are any good bike shops/bars/etc in the area? I've been to Santa Maria H-D a bunchof times, now looking for something different. I read about a place in Paso Robles, about 35 miles north but, damn if i can remember. CRS disease creeping in!

Jeff    GlockRocket34
Jeff    GlockRocket34

98roadking

Gary Bang HD is in Atascadero, on 101 before you get to Paso Robles.

tireater

Try the Paradise store on Sat. or Cold Springs tavern on Sun off 154...you can google them...
Both have bands on the weekend...Paradise store has cheap beer....
Bike night is big time at Santa Maria harley once a month...I heard they get up to 300 bikes...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

03deuce

Bike night at Santa Maria H-D is the first Thursday of each month, so the March one was last Thursday.  Their are a couple small independent shops in town and Heavy Duty Cycles in Lompoc, but since I do my own work don't know them very well.  Most of my buddies ride down to My Garage in Ventura for repairs, upgrades and dyno tunes. 
Tireater mentioned Cold Springs and the Paradise store, a few other biker bars are Ghost Riders and the Steel Horse in Los Alamos, Elmer's in Orcutt, Maverick's in Santa Ynez, Harry's in Pismo Beach, Mr. Rich's in Avila Beach, Ralph and Duane's in Arroyo Grande, and Old Cayucos Saloon in Cayucos, Big Bad Bubba's Barbeque in Paso Robles, Outlaws in Atascadero, Deer Lodge in Ojai, not sure if the Firestone Brewery is still open in Buellton. 
Most of the bike traffic is on the weekends.   

GlockRocket34

Thanks, all. Gary Bang was one of the ones I was thinking of. There was supposed to be an indy shop in Paso Robles.

The Firestone brewery was there about a year ago. I'm set to meet some friends for their weekly Thursday night Steel Horse 'company meeting' (what a company!) and Saturday is supposed to be riding thru wine country.  Monday night is Jocko's steakhouse in Nipomo.
I'll have to check out some of the other places. I'll probably gain thirty pounds and need a new motor build to accomodate it!

Jeff    GlockRocket34 

Jeff    GlockRocket34

02rk4cruzin

Enjoy Jocko's!!!!  My wife and I drive up from Valencia just to have dinner there, then spend the night and ride back through Los Olivos/Cold Springs/Ojai.

Haven't found a better steak yet. I can't believe the wait even on a weeknight for dinner at a place that no onw knows is there.

Bill

98roadking

A hundred years ago when I played baseball in college we would play Hancock College in Santa Maria. If we did good the coach would treat us to Jocko's on the way home. $3 steak sandwich. Beat a quarter pounder every time.

GlockRocket34

Da*& bike (bicycle) rally messed up the ride tSat. in the Santa Ynez Valley area. Oh, well. We ended up in Arroyo Grande, stopped at a place called Bill's, Played A LOT of pool then rode back to Lompoc. Hit the Steel Horse Thursday nite, had an awesome time. Tomorrow is breakfast at a place called Pappy's in Buellton, then off to ...
Went to go to Santa Maria H-D to rent a bike, three buddy's would not hear of it. Ended up with my bud Rick's Electra-Glide for the week-end. He owns a cafe in Santa Maria called Cafe Monet. Two+ thumbs up. We started with breakfast there and had tri-tip omelets that were out of this world. Can never have too much tri-tip!!!!
What a trip this has turned out to be. 

Jeff    GlockRocket34   
Jeff    GlockRocket34

Jim B.

Jeff,

If you get back to the Santa Maria/Lompoc area in the future, try Heavy Duty Cycle in Lompoc. It's an independent operation and specializes in Harleys. A lot of my fellow Harley riders in Lompoc go to Heavy Duty Cycle for servicing to save the ride over to Santa Maria or down to Santa Barbara.

I know what you mean about the crowds in Solvang due to last weekend's bike even. However, it was nothing compared to the crowds when the Tour of California came through Solvang.

Jim

GlockRocket34

Jim,

I'm going to try to go to Heavy Duty tomorrow, just to look around. I'll be back in about 4-5 weeks. then back every other month for the next year.
Yesterdays ride started at Ellen's pancake house and went thru Cold Springs for Irish Coffee, pix of the suicide bridge, then ride thru Los PAdres Forest, down to Santa Barbara and then back to Lompoc. Tonight was...Jocko's. Tomorrow is up to Pismo Beach to bring back cinabon mix,  then to Gary Bang H-D to look. Dinner at the Far Western.

Jeff    GlockRocket34

Jeff    GlockRocket34

Jim B.

Jeff,

I see you are seeing all the sights. Sounds like someone is giving you good advice on what to see. When you get back to Lompoc next, give me a call at 805-264-5711 and we can maybe get together. I'll even buy the coffee.

Jim

98roadking

If you're going to Pismo Beach for cinnimon rolls you have to stop at the Old West Cinnimon Roll. Or if it's lunch time, a great burger in Pismo is at Longboards on Price St. or Bar-B-Q at MO's. Breakfast in Arroyo Grande there is a place called McClintocks that is killer.

GlockRocket34

98roadking,

Thanks, will have to check them out.
I went to McClintocks for dinner once about 2 years ago. It was pretty cool, the waitress stood on the chair and raised the water pitcher up overhead then poured the water to refill our glasses. How she hit the glass without spilling, I'll never know.

Jeff    GlockRocket34

Jeff    GlockRocket34