May 06, 2024, 04:29:20 AM

News:

Scraping Floor Boards

Started by IBARider, March 11, 2009, 08:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highlander

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 11, 2009, 06:05:15 PM
And another... SAME CORNER!   Hmmmm... both bikes are RKCs... manufactures defect?

I don't know how many people ride the Dragon every year. I've made about 5 trips there over the last 5 years. The only manufactures defect is in the brain of the guy over riding the dragon.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

V24me

I know of a local girl (experienced rider - 'club' member) that used to love to scrape her pegs until one time the peg caught a pot hole.  Flipped her around and killed her. 

I'm only impressed if you can scrape both at the same time  :hyst:
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Ken R

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 11, 2009, 06:05:15 PM
And another... SAME CORNER!   Hmmmm... both bikes are RKCs... manufactures defect?

Looks like the same bike and rider, both series.

Also, looks like he's probably not going much over 10 - 15 mph.  Background isn't blurry and scrape marks on the ground are short. 

Rags722

I just wonder at what point he said to himself "Hey, maybe gloves would have been a good idea today"  :hyst:

hdpegscraper

March 12, 2009, 03:57:17 AM #29 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:01:28 AM by hdpegscraper
Two different bikes shown at Deals Gap, one guy is trying to take a picture while riding, and the other is busy waving.
Some people should keep their hands on the handle bars. Deals Gap is alot of fun, If, you pay attention.

hdpegscraper

guitar sam

no phu cat,i am over 60 so i know better than try all three at once.  no, i am right handed and the scraped the right one by not trying.
when i was younger and would drink then ride i would probably try to do all three.  wheelies were my big thing in the 70s.  till i drank too much an over did it and bottomed out the shocks and almost went over the bars.  that's when i quit doing that.  now i am old and have no one left to impress but myself

gs

Phu Cat

Craig, I think you're right about most people not practicing their skills enough.  Being able to tell when your pegs or floor board are about to scrape is an important skill so you can turn as sharp as possible in an emergency.

Somebody mentioned 'keeping their hide'.  Yep, hide don't come cheap and the discomfort while it's regrowing tends to remind us to think a little differently next time.  Better to learn from seein somebody else's road rash than your own.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

crow

Loved scrapping the floorboards on my 93 Heritage. But my have not taken the Road King that far over while riding.
After I saw the same pictures from the Dragon a few years back I went home and slowly laid my Road King in it's side.
My front crash bar touched the ground 1st never allowing my floorboard to touch.
This in my mind meant that if I were to lean into a curve the my crash bar will touch 1st liftin the front tire off the road resulting
in the same type crash we just saw.

How are you guys on dressers able to lean far enough into a turn to scrape floorboards and not hit the crash bar?
Knees in the Breeze is all I need........:)

IBARider

My '02 and '08 would scrape floor boards without hitting crash bar.  And everytime i drop it on the crash bar, the floor boards are pushed up.  does RK have same frame and boards?
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Ken R

My Ultra definitely scrapes the floorboards first, before the crash bars.  In fact, the iron floorboard support structures (under the boards) scrape before the crash bar touches.   I have my boards in the lowest positions (for my long legs). 

Ken

truck

Quote from: Ken R on March 12, 2009, 08:36:33 AM
My Ultra definitely scrapes the floorboards first, before the crash bars.  In fact, the iron floorboard support structures (under the boards) scrape before the crash bar touches.   I have my boards in the lowest positions (for my long legs). 

Ken

I was thinking that his boards are set higher too.
My 2001 Ultra scrapes the right board fairly easily and the left side foot board bracket scrapes first, what's up with that?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

rad3766

Ive got my boards down low so the crashbar doesnt lever the front tire off the ground as has been mentioned.
Im no hero in the twisties though; most board draggin I do is playing around in the parking lot.  :wink:

98 FLHTPI Miss Suzy HOG, AMA, IBA, PGR

PoorUB

Quote from: crow on March 12, 2009, 08:02:10 AM
How are you guys on dressers able to lean far enough into a turn to scrape floorboards and not hit the crash bar?

I cheat, I have extenders on my footboard brackets that move the footboards out, about 3/4". The RH board scrapes pretty often, but the left side bracket scraps about the same time as the board. Spooky when it happens on a fast corner!
Last year we fell behind a ways going up Beartooth Pass so I was pushing it a bit to catch up to the group. When I scraped the footboards, my wife riding on back questioned what was the noise. I told her what it was and asked if it bothered her. She said it was ok, she just wondered what it was. She mentioned at the time she was clearing out the bad pictures on the camera, so I guess she was not too worried!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

EagleFTE

Scraped the chrome off my Heritage right board on the way home from the dealer on the first ride.  Some kid in a Honda car was right on my butt and I didn't trust him to give me enough room to make the turn into the sub division so I didn't want to slow down.   I got over it and there were more board scrape to come.  I had scraped the boards on my old RK before but at least not on the first day of ownership.  Damn kids.   :crook:

Ken R

My floorboard supports look just like that . . . both sides. 

Yup, if I drag a board at over 25 to 30 mph, it's an accident.  I'm too old for that.  But dragging 'em around cones in tight exercises in parking lots is play; the consequences of failure are not nearly as catastrophic.  The only problem is that I 've had to replace my floorboards once already; worn all the way through the rubber, so I try to keep 'em off the pavement nowadays. 

Ken

Quote from: rad3766 on March 12, 2009, 04:49:17 PM
Ive got my boards down low so the crashbar doesnt lever the front tire off the ground as has been mentioned.
Im no hero in the twisties though; most board draggin I do is playing around in the parking lot.  :wink: