April 27, 2024, 02:32:05 PM

News:

Installing push rod covers

Started by 1972XlchBobber, March 11, 2009, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972XlchBobber

OK, really silly question. I have the push rods installed, now for the covers.  I have the covers in place, now for the cover spring keepers.  This is what the manual calls those half cylinder metal forms that keep the push rod cover in place.

Mine are bent into a variety of radius measurements.  I cannot tell if top and bottom should be the same radius and how they should fit ....

The top fits into the rocker arm cover - inside or outside of the cork washer?
The bottom pushes on the push rod cover - does this fit on the inside of the spring cover?

Thanks, Mike

IBARider

Hi,

I'm having kinda hard time understanding.... The keepers, those half round thingies should be uniform, same radius on top and bottom.  In fact, top and bottom are interchangeable, they can go in either way.  But I do know what you're saying, they get bent out a little and I just bend the wide end back in.

Now, about inside or outside of cork.  this is what I'm not understanding...  The pushrod tube/cover should be telescoped out so it fits snugly against cork in rocker cover and against cork in lifter block.  There is a collar with spring under it that keeps pressure on lower tube into lifter block.

The retainer/keeper goes in between the collar and the upper push rod tube.  After extending the pushrod tubes into place, place the top end of keeper in place, it will be pushing against top lip of tube.  Take the flat end of a screwdriver on top of collar and using the keeper as pry point, push collar down against spring and then snap keeper into place.  it will slide along top of ascrewdriver.  Kinda hard to explain, but real easy to show...
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

1972XlchBobber

March 12, 2009, 03:24:36 PM #2 Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:31:55 PM by 1972XlchBobber
Ahhh,  thank you for your write up.
I think I understand.  The chrome cover sits on the lifter block.  Atop the chrome cover sits the cap.  The telescopic tube expands the distance between the chrome cap and the rocker cover.  The keeper pushes the top lip of the telescopic tube into the rocker cover and compresses the spring in the chrome cap by sitting directly on top of the cap. 

I was able to install them tonight.  I found a way to compress the spring so that the keeper is easily placed into position.  I looped a zip tie around the back side of the cap and pulled it down using a ratcheting strap with a hook on the end.  Simultaneously pushing the telescopic rod up with a large flat head screwdriver and gently ratcheting down on the cap I was able to open up the gap so that the keeper could be placed into position.

Onto the points...

Thanks for your help, Mike