May 06, 2024, 01:27:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need advice for a fundraiser...

Started by codyshop, March 11, 2009, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

Well, it's happened again.  After helping a local non-profit put on a bike run as advisors, it's fallen in our laps to become organizers.  Anyway, it's for the local animal shelter so I have no reservations doing this but I need ideas for non-bike events.  Were trying to come up with five events that both bikers and families driving cars can both enjoy.  There will be five stops and the buy-in gets you a try at each stop.  Additional tries will be a donation.  We need an event at each one and while personally I'm all for events that require nudity and baby oil, we're talking mass-appeal here.  About half the people who will be showing up will be in cages and we're looking at events where nobody has an edge.  What kind of carnival midway stuff would work on a budget?  Thanks.  Ray

02roadcling

How about, Guess How Much The Fat Lady Weighs?
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

specialx1

dunk tanks r cheap to rent for that chit, :)
it's only kinky the first time

Big Dan

Raffle off some prizes, including a 50/50 raffle. Perhaps even a silent auction. Every "stop" should ge willing to donate some prizes, as you will be boosting their day's business tremendously.

A friend of mine owns a pretty big tavern/eatery, and his yearly run benefits the local animal shelter. The shelter always sends some of their female volunteers over with cute dogs that are available for adoption. A pretty girl with a cute puppy attached can sell a LOT of raffle tickets.

Best of luck. All 3 of our dogs are adopted.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

HroadhogD1

Big Dan has a good idea.  Get those pretty girls out there to get the cute puppies adopted.  Maybe a cat or two.

ULTRADOG

do the old poker run just split it best hand worst hand that keeps everyone interested or do a lime bag type run take a pre selected amount of bags say 53 some odd # get some plastic wrap and go get a bag of lime they use for yards put some in each bag and anywhere you feal like throw a bag it will leave a white mark on the floor or road 5 dollar entry fee to count them along the route the one ho counts all of them wins half the trick is bust one right where youre standing in the start nobody ever sees that one and all the money goes to charity.
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

dablaze

On a recent vacation I saw the game of "Butt Darts" it was a huge hit with a huge line up for a simple game...

Its both disturbing and HILARIOUS at the same time...

Here's a video long with a link...

http://allthingsskinny.blogspot.com/2008/02/butt-darts-this-is-for-real.html

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread355993/pg1

Hope it all works out for you! Gotta help out them animals.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

texaskatfish

Ray we've had some luck with dart throws for best poker hand. You give 5 throws for the 'basic entry fee' and offer bonus throws for some extra jingle if the contestant wants to pad their chances for success.

all 52 cards taped to a scrap of plywood...............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

codyshop

Quote from: Panzer on March 12, 2009, 07:43:32 AM
Your quote:
Personally I'm all for events that require nudity and baby oil,

I hope you're not serious, it's a family event is it not?
I can see the mothers covering the kids eyes.
If you're serious, don't do it, if not I'll have a few suggestions when I hear from you.

I know you got to be kidding....right?

Panzer

Of course I was kidding!  Ray

~JC~

Create a set of directions with interesting clues to several "stops" on the way. You have to make them up for your area, but for instance, one of our directions was "start off on the road to the ladys' town". We knew that to be "Ellensburg". You can make the clues as easy or as hard as you want. At each stop, people can collect cards(for adults), or tokens(for kids) or whatever. The kids can turn them in for "prizes" at the end. One of the stops can be lunch, even a sack lunch, where you can have games, even down to pin the tail on the hog, for kids. Races are always fun, like racing with a water balloon between the knees. ~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

smokey3644

We have a yearly poker run that benefits our veterans park and most of the stuff we do has already been mentioned.  One thing we've tried that hasn't been mentioned is a walking poker run.  We sell cards and people kind of shop their way around town, with stops at a number of local merchants for card draws.  We've had good participation for the non riding folks and the local business have been great about donating raffle prizes in return for the foot traffic.  Good luck with a good cause.
One never knows, does one. (Fats Waller)

codyshop

Thanks for all the ideas.  We're trying to do something different than a poker run because as this is the shelter's main fundraising event there are more non-bikers and kids than bikers.  Little kids don't seem to like poker...they'd rather throw stuff at something.  All our stops are bars with big parking lots/fields so were looking for something to do for the kids and non-drinkers while the rest of us belly-up.  Ray

thunderalley3

Ray,
I think it would be fun to involve the animals from the shelter. Take groups of 4 or 5 , give them all a puppy and 5 minutes, and who ever can make theres sit the longest, shake by the end of the time on command etc. could gain points towards a grand prize, and also win on the spot prizes, plus the dogs would have a blast, and who knows, I am sure a couple would fall in love and take the person home with them.
Lewis  :teeth:

Big_Bulky_RK

This may seem kinda lame but the kids love a duck drop.  You take a donation for a rubber toy duck with a number on it.  (see if local stores may donate these or maybe another local organization may already have them)  The ducks can be floated down a river or down a trough, first 5 or 10 win a prize and last place works to keep the folks around for the end.
Or our little town gets a local crane company to raise the rubber ducks up a basket (advertisement for the crane) and they paint a circles on the street. Basket has a trip release bottom.  Closest to the bullseye, inner circle ext.  and farthest away win.  Google duck drop. There are many variations of this.
Good luck on your fundraiser.
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US