May 10, 2024, 06:26:06 AM

News:

What Years Will Rear Wheels Fit ?

Started by YFOPOS1, July 14, 2014, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YFOPOS1

Hope someone can answer this question for me.
A friend of a friend has a 97 custom 1200 with the rear solid wheel, had a new tire put on , tire went flat. He aired it up, rode back to the Indie shop, the guy took a look at it. Didn't get the whole story what he did? The Indie told him he needs to take the bike/wheel to the local HD shop.
So he did that , they removed the wheel did the old dunk the wheel in a tub of water and found it was leaking around the bead.
So they dismantled the tire , ground down the bead surface (his words not mine) I assumed they sanded , roughed up the surface with a brillo pad.
Re-installed the tire , charged him $85.00 and said it slowed the leak down but to fix it , buy a new wheel.

A little back ground on the bike:
My friend sold it to his friend and they guy never cleaned it , rode it rain or shine over on the coast with all the salt air, mold ,etc.
You can just about imagine what the chrome let alone the aluminum looks like  :smileo:,,, pitted etc.

SOOOO  saying all that I'm kinda hitting sites, CL, E-bay etc looking for a  solid rear wheel for the guy.
And not sure what years interchanged ?

Thanks for any help/input...

hdbikedoc

this can be a  real pain but ,remove tire and clean bead edge with wire brush ,if chrome is peeling on it, you must clean it off, now  sand so you can run finger around with out getting any catches
some guys paint,but myself  use bead sealer ,then use tire mounting paste usually works 98% of time
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

YFOPOS1

Thanks for the reply, I would assume the HD shop did most of what you recommended ?
But then again this particular HD shop does not have a good reputation ... So who knows what they really did ?

Anybody know how many years the rear wheels will interchange ?

FSG

July 14, 2014, 09:16:54 PM #3 Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:19:14 PM by FSG
That wheel was used on various Sportsters from 95 through to 97 and on the BT Softails in 95, 96 and 97.

41017-95 is the P/N of the wheel.

Take a look at  http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J00094.pdf

YFOPOS1