Pipe yellowing after installing Ventilator A/C

Started by 02rk4cruzin, July 15, 2014, 09:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02rk4cruzin

I have a 2012 FLTRX with Full-sac 2-1-2 head pipe, Stage 1 A/C and CFR mufflers. I had the bike tuned with TTS. Runs great.

Last year I had some pinging around 2,800 rpm, so I took the bike back and the tuner retarded the timing. This solved the pinging issue.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I installed a HD Ventilator A/C and took a ride up to N Cal. After riding for 6 hours at about 75-80 mph I found that my right muffler had yellowed near the head pipe connection. I was able to get almost all the yellowing out using "Blue Away". Would changing from a Stage 1 A/C to a Ventilator make that must difference to cause the right muffler to yellow real bad?

I have put the Stage 1 A/C back on for now as I don't want to run lean, if that's whats causing this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 02rk4cruzin on July 15, 2014, 09:48:28 PM
I have a 2012 FLTRX with Full-sac 2-1-2 head pipe, Stage 1 A/C and CFR mufflers. I had the bike tuned with TTS. Runs great.

Last year I had some pinging around 2,800 rpm, so I took the bike back and the tuner retarded the timing. This solved the pinging issue.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I installed a HD Ventilator A/C and took a ride up to N Cal. After riding for 6 hours at about 75-80 mph I found that my right muffler had yellowed near the head pipe connection. I was able to get almost all the yellowing out using "Blue Away". Would changing from a Stage 1 A/C to a Ventilator make that must difference to cause the right muffler to yellow real bad?

I have put the Stage 1 A/C back on for now as I don't want to run lean, if that's whats causing this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

The tune.. It changed..

Max

02rk4cruzin

The only change from initial tune, is the timing was retarded to stop pinging around 2,800 rpm. Maybe I need to advance timing back to where it was?

q1svt

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 20, 2014, 08:47:19 PM
Quote from: 02rk4cruzin on July 15, 2014, 09:48:28 PM
Would changing from a Stage 1 A/C to a Ventilator make that must difference to cause the right muffler to yellow real bad?

The tune.. It changed..

Max

Max was saying it needs more fuel... better breathing intake equals more air so it needs more fuel.

Quote from: 02rk4cruzin on July 21, 2014, 07:52:52 PM
The only change from initial tune, is the timing was retarded to stop pinging around 2,800 rpm. Maybe I need to advance timing back to where it was?
It will ping more than before if it lean now with the new AC.
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

02rk4cruzin

Zero pinging with new A/C. Will follow up with tuner. Thanks