May 08, 2024, 01:04:19 AM

News:

WANTED..............

Started by Panzer, July 17, 2014, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrrap

Just an opinion from my age gone by: I've had my time on three Sportsters, '59 '60 '66. In those days being twenty something, full of piss and vinegar, (And the occasional doobie!) I lived with great satisfaction that my sporty wouldn't let me down on a hard 4 gear launch. My humble grin came a short distance later when Big Twins would breathe by like a locomotive train picking up speed. That was then, The Big Twins now I suspect have a much greater power to weight ratio and are probably able to set those days to rest. But it wasn't the case in my mirror in the 1970's - 80's. Sadly I broke the '60. Lower right side transmission case blew out. Had it welded up and sold it as a basket case. Wife to this day say's I should have kept that one.  :embarrassed: 
Anyway, it would seem that the stock performance numbers could be researched to compare the two through the years. Isn't it pretty obvious though, lining up a stock 1960 XLCH to a stock 1960 FLH garbage barge? I'll watch this thread, but I'll not argue a word past my posting.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Nowhereman

Long time ago, there was a firm that made some real nice Sporty frames for people who wanted a Sporty chopper or  :chop:Pro Street look.
They were impressive when finished. :chop:
- From Nowhere in particular

kik

Quote from: randyman on July 22, 2014, 06:14:20 PM
Im to big for Sportsters but I think they are really cool.  I have a 1977 XLH that runs and I think its a great bike.  But I want to sell it.

Same year as the one I traded. What you looking to get for it?

On the same note I raced that old 77' quite a few times from light to light, I think the last time was around 1999. I never had a BT get me off the line, but by time we hit about halfway to the next light, they was pulling past me pretty hard.

gasshawg

I,m game for any BT . I'll play with anyone. T&O Races in KS,  August  16th & 17 th.
ET Bracket full tree.

WhipLash96

I like Sportsters so much that I will most likely being taking a power trip down to Florida to pick up another one. As far as going up against a BT, I am not a racer either but I know what my Sportster can do and will do if I need it to. Not that this should be surprising but I am able to run my Sporty to 95mph then pull out of 4th. I have conceded the notion that I will never sell my Sportster. It is my first bike and which I have spent a lot of time with since I have had it. Not only that, my wife rides that one and I take the FLTR most times when we go riding. :hug:
Thanks,
Whip

moose

and my daddy can beat up your daddy so there
Moose aka Glenn-

Nowhereman

- From Nowhere in particular

andyxlh

when I lived in the USA about a decade ago I went to the Harley drags a few times which was interesting.  can't remember the times the bikes were doing but I do remember it was noisy! are there any numbers from there for stock bikes over the 1/4 which might give a clue?
I'm now interested to find an answer......
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Panzer

More "no fixes" on this site.
Like a few have said, getting tired of looking for updates on how things are going.
What the freak is wrong with people, they pose a question, the group gives them some possible fixes and they vanish.   :emoGroan:
What's the fix for that?   :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

kik

Not just this site, it seems to be a common thing to do. I'm also on a Ford, a Cadillac & 2 Toyota and a Kawasaki site, same thing, they come back maybe 10 - 20% of the time and let us know if it worked or not.

76shuvlinoff

August 17, 2014, 03:59:57 AM #35 Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:10:48 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 Sporty against EG. The EG technique would be to run it up to 110 and just wait for the peanut to run outta gas.  :wink:

I know it's not apples to apples and the modern Sporty is a different animal but a good buddy had a hot rodded 82, he called it a Roadster. It was a quick nasty loud thing. I can't tell you the times I watched his taillight pull away from my poor FLH shovel. My fun was watching him try to get comfortable on a 800 mile putt we took in 02. Every time time my ass even started to get tired he switched to reserve and was desperately looking for a station. It worked out well for me.  :teeth:

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Brrrap

Living in San Antonio Texas meant I needed range on my '59 XLCH. 3-1/2 gal tanks did the trick for me. Picture from '83 on Bandera Road. Then, I'd wake, eat and ride all day when I wasn't in uniform in the Kelly AFB air traffic control tower.
[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

andyxlh

Great pic, do you still have the bike?
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Brrrap

Quote from: andyxlh on August 22, 2014, 04:51:54 AM
Great pic, do you still have the bike?
My son recently asked if I would keep it in my shop. As a bike he could ride when he visits. Here's more about it, and pictures. http://www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/generational-ironhead-1956-harley-davidson-xlch-custom/?image=0

andyxlh

Great story and wonderful pics. Part of the family... Thanks for sharing!

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

China twin 88

QuoteSportys are a crossover bike; most who get their 1st Harley grab sportys and hold on to them for a year before they move up to big twins.

True even in China, some what but due to the cost and the non-importation of 1200's, the 883 is the perfect bike for
China.  While n the states and after ETS out of the Army I bought a 77 sportster from Fletcher's HD in Largo Fl. Less than a year later I got a chance to trade it back and buy a FLH.... jumped on it... as the Sporty winded out un like the taller gears of the FLH (named properly as Flat Land Hog). Buying the 883 was a leap back somewhat ... or least I thought so having harbored predigests from my FLA. Highway days, however I found the bike and the lack of weight to be accommodating in wall to wall scooter traffic lined by bike lane pigs who create a Chinese firedrill commute.    Those who have seen the FB page know the terrine we often deal with and the mountains are a little tight for the 883L....thinking bout giving some more ground clearance. I have grown to love the bike *883* and due to the fact that it is legal, the 2002 88' standard built/brought in before importation of HD's into China can never be registered....the new Rule of Law and the persecution of motorcycles in China, has made the 883 not only fun but indispensable.
LMMC/LAMF

wavlovr1

November 05, 2014, 12:19:00 PM #42 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:22:30 PM by wavlovr1
Quote from: Panzer on July 22, 2014, 12:50:16 PM
Line em' up guys, but stock for stock, no fancy do dad's or engine work, plain stock.
I'll bet on the Sporty 1200 any day.  :potstir:

And you would win that bet. Especially with the 1200.

My wife's 1200 custom (2002) would easily pull wheelies in 4 out of 5 gears with my 200 pounds on it. At only 500 pounds it was a great little hot rod. Bundles of fun, but brutal over long distances. I wish I had never traded it.

I loved my big twin 2000 Dyna Super Sport too, but it got totaled. The 2002 Deuce came next with a spicy upgrade to high compression 95. That's what I take out when I miss my Sporty. The road is reserved for my 2009 Street Glide with a 103. Every man needs one of each model is my opinion, LOL...
:pop:

wavlovr1

OH, and this board has saved my bu$$ too many times to count. Thanks for everyone's' help!
:agree: