May 07, 2024, 11:44:57 PM

News:

WANTED..............

Started by Panzer, July 17, 2014, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

Quite a few times the members here on HTT bend over backwards in helping those that need some sort of help with their bikes.
And quite a few times the one that is asking for help is at a total loss for a fix and has asked the HTT wizards.
Members have posted, pixs, the area to look at, the right tool(s) to use and has looked up in their own service manual and described word for word to help what the service manual states.

I think I speak for the many members here on HTT, that if you found our help beneficial please give us feed back, even if it was good, or not so good.
We can all learn from the input given, this is what we are here for................for helping another brother or sister.
Ride safe, ride like you're invisible.

Thanks for your feed back.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Nowhereman

- From Nowhere in particular

WhipLash96

I think that the feedback that I get here overall is superior to other boards. I come back because it is usually spot on. My only real complaint about this board is that there just isn't enough coverage here in the Sportster section.
Thanks,
Whip

Panzer

WhipLash96,
I agree with you on that point, but take a look a the V-Rod section also.
Out of all the sections The V-Rod and the sporty sections has minimal postings, I believe it's because their trouble free. (maybe ?)
Just saying.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Breeze

Good post Panzer.  Learning the fix to problems posted, is  what I like best.  I hate it when we are left hanging.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Nowhereman

Quote from: Panzer on July 18, 2014, 05:36:49 AM
WhipLash96,
Out of all the sections The V-Rod and the sporty sections has minimal postings, I believe it's because their trouble free. (maybe ?)
Just saying.

I don't agree.
They are the least selling models going.
The rod is not even made anymore.
The Rod motor is a jewel of an engine and shows no issues though. (it was designed by Porsche BTW)
Sportys are a crossover bike; most who get their 1st Harley grab sportys and hold on to them for a year before they move up to big twins.
They are nice scoots but, a little small and underpowered for any lengthy cruises.
Just my opinion and it's worth about .02 cents max after inflation and taxes.
Your mileage may very. :hyst:

WhipLash96

July 18, 2014, 10:10:20 AM #6 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:14:29 AM by WhipLash96
I have a big twin and a Sportster and I prefer my Sportster just a tad more than my Road Glide.  Sportster's are a fun bike.
Thanks,
Whip

kik

I ran a 77 XL for 10 years before I traded it in on my current 00' Electra glide. I wish I had the Iron head back, I get tired of pushing this heavy beast around in local traffic.

WhipLash96

Yep, I am looking at an iron head now. Either a 62 or a 66
Thanks,
Whip

Wicked

Quote from: Nowhereman on July 18, 2014, 07:40:35 AM

I don't agree.

You sure about that?

The Rod motor is a jewel of an engine and shows no issues though. (it was designed by Porsche BTW)
Sportys are a crossover bike; most who get their 1st Harley grab sportys and hold on to them for a year before they move up to big twins.
They are nice scoots but, a little small and underpowered for any lengthy cruises.

Again - you sure?? More power to weight ratio than other HD"S.
Higher seat height, more lean angle, springboard for some of HD's other improvements...

Panzer

I don't know the percentage of Harley owners that had a sporty but, they all say they wish they hadn't either sold or traded it in.
The ones that still have a sportster hang on to them (including this writer) and get a bigger bike or cruiser in the barn.
:agree: the sporty is a versatile machine, easy to handle, quick and an all around fun machine.  :teeth:
Almost trouble free and year after year, still in the Harley line up for good reason.
If you look up the Sportster for insurance, the sporty 1200 is classified as a cruiser.
The sporty in not just a woman's bike anymore!!

Brrrap

Quote from: Panzer on July 19, 2014, 06:45:58 AM
I don't know the percentage of Harley owners that had a sporty but, they all say they wish they hadn't either sold or traded it in.
The ones that still have a sportster hang on to them (including this writer) and get a bigger bike or cruiser in the barn.
:agree: the sporty is a versatile machine, easy to handle, quick and an all around fun machine.  :teeth:
Almost trouble free and year after year, still in the Harley line up for good reason.
If you look up the Sportster for insurance, the sporty 1200 is classified as a cruiser.
The sporty in not just a woman's bike anymore!!
NEVER WAS A WOMANS BIKE!! (ohh don't get me started!) :banghead: :angry:
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Nowhereman

You said it.... not me.......You said it....it's out now.... :hyst:

andyxlh

Lucky enough to have a sporty and a road king, if I was pushed I'd keep the sporty....and I've racked up some serious miles in the past on both.
Off the mark I've not seen many BTs which can go past a 1200xlh off the mark, and smiles for the dollar? The sporty wins hands down IMHO!
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Nowhereman

Yeah I've heard that one before.
I know most guys in the club have "massaged motors" but, I have never seen a sporty leave on a BT... ever... :soda:

citabria

Quote from: Nowhereman on July 18, 2014, 07:40:35 AM
Quote from: Panzer on July 18, 2014, 05:36:49 AM
WhipLash96,
Just saying.

I don't agree.

When did they quit building the V-rod?? Most people go to 1130cc.com for any techinical help or information for V-rods. And Porche also had a hand in designing the Evo engine.

No Problem

ive had my sporty since new in 88 will never sell :up:

cyclobutch

Bought my '89 to dip a toe in the HD waters and see how it went. It's one of the last bikes I'd part with. Toured the low countries and she even got me back out of France through 5" of snow one February. Will cruise 80 and the tank size gives me the excuse to hop off every hour or so. Even lugged me and the missus out to Belgium a couple of times when I've strapped the ugly seat on (no euphemism intended). Always puts a smile on my face.

But yeah ... agreed, if you're out this way looking for advice then it's only good manners to post back on how it all went.
B
'88 XLH1200

andyxlh

Never seen a sporty leave a BT behind? really? I'm no racer but easily pulled past my mate's TC 96 road king just the other day off the mark on my old rattler....  sure, not likely to happen at 60mph on my 4 speed.........
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Nowhereman

So your buddy can't race...
Probably caught him in the wrong gear and rpm.
BTs can out pull sportys all day.

Panzer

Line em' up guys, but stock for stock, no fancy do dad's or engine work, plain stock.
I'll bet on the Sporty 1200 any day.  :potstir:

andyxlh

You know what, this is a really interesting discussion. Now I'm doubting myself, as Nowhereman suggests, it could be as simple as technique, and BT's nowdays are a whole lot faster. I'm pretty comfy saying that my 89 sportster as an 883 had more pep off the mark than my 1996 evo road king, as i have had them both since they were bone stock, with all the changes since then, perhaps I'm wrong.

randyman

Im to big for Sportsters but I think they are really cool.  I have a 1977 XLH that runs and I think its a great bike.  But I want to sell it.

Maxxx

i do believe my 1200 s would take my e-glide off the line.. but not for long!!  :soda: