May 06, 2024, 12:14:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Puking oil ?

Started by IN SEARCH OF, March 12, 2009, 08:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IN SEARCH OF

Buddy of mine was telling me last night that he just recently tried starting his 1990 FXR Dyna Glide (1340 motor) and that during cranking it gushed out about a half a quart of oil out of the "breather" ? Any ideas of why this would occur? I told him to visit this site. A lot of pretty smart guys over here. thanks in advance.  :wtf:

CraigArizona85248

March 12, 2009, 08:21:37 AM #1 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:26:19 AM by CraigArizona85248
Sounds like there was some oil in the lower end of the motor when he started it.  If there is a lot of oil there, the oil pump can't return it fast enough to the oil tank and it gets puked out the breather.  This is a common occurance on bikes where the oil tank sits up high (like a softail) when they have sat for the winter.  The oil sloooowly seeps past the checkball in the oil pump and into the bottom of the motor.  When the bike is started in the spring the oil in the motor gets puked out.  BUT... you said this is a Dyna.  The Dyna model has an oil tank located low down under the transmission.  I would have thought that this would be low enough to keep the oil in the tank and not allow it to seep into the motor.  I've never had this occur on my Dyna.

I would say that if the puking has stopped, then your buddy is probably ok.  But if the puking is continuing, he may have sheard off the shaft key on the return side of his oil pump.  Oil may not be returning to the oil tank properly leading to the puking.  A plugged or crimped oil return line can cause the same problem so check that before tearing into the pump.

-Craig

EDIT:  I just read your post again.  You said a 1990 FXR Dyna Glide.  But and FXR is not a Dyna Glide.  I believe the FXR oil tank is up high... isn't it above the transmission?  Help FXR guys!  If it is up high, then your buddy probably just has a case where some oil seeped into the motor over the winter.  As long as the puking has stopped, there is no issue.

baldoldfxr

Yep fxr oil tank is up under the seat , as craig says it sounds like wet sumping ,as long as it stops should be ok.

IN SEARCH OF

I gave him the info you sent Craig. Makes good sense to me. It turns out the oil tank is up high, and not a Dyna.
Appreciate the info..thanks :up: