May 04, 2024, 07:30:12 PM

News:

03 ROADKING FORKS

Started by starrider, March 12, 2009, 01:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

Hi Guys!

On my 03RK...going to change the fork springs...thinking of going RACE TECH with EMULATORS KIT. With this product i have the option to lower it two inches or less. Currently riding on stock springs with SCREAMING EAGLE OIL and bottoming out on minor rough road surface.

So...if i go this route (new springs)...i could leave it at stock height or lower it an inch. From past input here...the forks expect to be a bit stiffer...

HOWEVER...WHAT EFFECT WILL IT HAVE IN TIGHT OR MODERATE TURNS?...Will the floor boards be scraping a lot or once in a while?

Thanks in advance!!!

ps...any input or tips...on modifying Roadking suspension appreciated.

specialx1

race tech has good tech support , give em all call they will help ya out a bunch
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

starrider

March 12, 2009, 10:54:27 PM #2 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:56:33 AM by Starrider
Specialx1...Thanks for the reply...Yes i talked to someone there and he gave me the specs...which springs ...how many turns  ect...

Just wanted to get as much input as possible so i get it right the first time.

Thanks again... :wink: :beer:

ClassicRider2002

March 13, 2009, 08:19:50 AM #3 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:34:44 AM by ClassicRider2002
".......On my 03RK...going to change the fork springs...thinking of going RACE TECH with EMULATORS KIT. With this product i have the option to lower it two inches or less. Currently riding on stock springs with SCREAMING EAGLE OIL and bottoming out on minor rough road surface......"

".......So...if i go this route (new springs)...i could leave it at stock height or lower it an inch. From past input here...the forks expect to be a bit stiffer...

HOWEVER...WHAT EFFECT WILL IT HAVE IN TIGHT OR MODERATE TURNS?...Will the floor boards be scraping a lot or once in a while?

ps...any input or tips...on modifying Roadking suspension appreciated........"

Starrider~~

I have been running race tech emulators in my 2002 RKC since 2004 thus nearly 5 years.  I combined this change with chrome lowers....so I addressed a "cosmetic" change with a "suspension" change altogether.

It should be quickly noted that your bike I believe has one fork with the dampening fork set up and one fork with a cartridge set up I believe while both a 2002 RKC and a 2006 Road King Custom have both forks with dampening forks without a cartridge in either fork leg.

I combined the race tech springs with the emulators.   I have a buddy that owns a 2006 Road King Custom, last summer we both changed our fork oil with 20w bel-ray, he had been running OEM fork oil and I had already been running the 20w Bel~Ray Fork Oil, it was simply time for me to do a maintenance change as it was for him as well, here was what I specifically did:

The 2002 Factory Service Manual states that for a 2002 Road King with Conventional “Dampening” forks place 11.1 oz of fork oil in each of the right and left fork legs.

HIPPO~~~02-13-05:  
For my weight 15 weight fluid overfilled by about 1 or 1.5 OZ worked extremely well, for others that were heavier 20 weight at the factory fill level. I always used Bel~Ray fork oil.
Referred to as the “HIPPO” Recipe

I Replaced the fork oil for the 2002 RKC on June 27, 2008.
I replaced with 10 oz of 20w Bel~Ray Fork Oil.

With next fork oil maintenance see how much oil comes out….because 10 oz came out and I replaced with precisely 10 oz. 

Personally, I think I should put in 11 oz next time or 11.5 oz and why I chose to put only 10 oz in, June 27th, 2008 was because I placed back in exactly what came out from when the previous INDY Mechanic and I put in the race tech emulators back in 2004.  Thus because I couldn't exactly remember how much specifically was placed in the forks in 2004 and because I actually found my bike to be peforming well, I simply desired to match exactly what was in the bike presently, now I have a specific base line, next time PERHAPS a bit more?  and perhaps a even better performing front fork......so I am still in R&D mode....lol (a bit anyway).  You see what I wasn't sure of is whether the way I allowed the bike to drain the old fork oil, whether or not "x" amount would be left in....so this time I decided to match exactly what came out with the amount I put back in....next time with the notes I have taken I can see what happens again....when the oil is drained.....but 11 or 11.5 oz will go in, to test that amount....

As for the emulators.....originally when I purchased the bike in 2004 I was after the "best" suspsension I could arrive given the confines of what I was working with.  I brought the attention to my buddy who has the 2006 Road King Custom, and I must state he is perfectly satisfied with only changing the fork oil to a heavier wet....he is a rider of 185 lbs, as I am a rider of 165 lbs.....

So if it were me.....and we could go back to 2004 I would first simply change the fork oil....from the oem or "SE" brand and go with bel-ray 20W fork oil put in 11 oz in each fork and see how it performs for you......It should be noted my buddy also owns a set of brand new progressive springs.....and even chose not to put those in last summer.....wanting to see how just the fork oil would respond......we both ride in mountan enviornments with lots of curves and braking of course......given these two bikes peformances....I can't honestly say that the race tech emulators are all that much more responsive.....so....I have them....shrugs shoulders and he doesn't....both bikes behave quite similarly....

If you do decide to go with the race tech emulators...I would make the jump to their springs thus providing yourself the opportunity to approximate their chosen design.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

starrider

March 13, 2009, 10:26:29 AM #4 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:33:43 AM by Starrider
Classic...Thanks!

Your info will be most helpful...Thankyou so much!...  :wink::beer: