May 05, 2024, 03:50:58 PM

News:

Wrong Jiffy stand on 09's?

Started by Rags722, March 12, 2009, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rags722

I just saw this on another forum I watch.  Can't attest to the accuracy, but figured I'd post it here so you can't say you were not told..

09 touring bikes built before Oct. 2, 08 have the wrong jiffy stand bracket causing the bike to lean further than it should....The new and correct part is #50096-09....It isn't a recall but if you call Harley customer service (414-343-4056) they can arrange a warranty fix with your dealer

specialx1

interesting , how do you figure out when bike was built?
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

V24me

I guess that would really suck for people who already sent out their jiffy stand to have it powder coated black!   :smileo:
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

specialx1

it's only kinky the first time

02rk59

I wonder if they had the same problem on '08's.......my brother complains about his leaning over too far as well.

northbrun

specialx there should be a month/year code on the tag on the downtube of the frame.

mark61

serial number coded to tell you month built. You can figure out the day if you work at it.

mark61

Coyote

Quote from: 02rk59 on March 12, 2009, 07:05:37 PM
I wonder if they had the same problem on '08's.......my brother complains about his leaning over too far as well.

No it was just 09 when they changed the frame.

Rags722

March 13, 2009, 10:05:11 PM #8 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:07:58 PM by Rags722
UPDATE:  Here is a link to a photo of the original and correct mounting bracket for the referenced bikes.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/electraglide1/messages?msg=22882.12

Hope this helps.  Comments in the referenced thread indicate the new bracket makes a big difference.

Rags

taximan62

Which one is the wrong one in the picture.  The one on the left or right????

seattledyna

according to the link, the left one is the incorrect bracket, gotta go check my bike, I think it was built around that time

JimB

just curious, will the 08-09 bracket fit an 07 SG ?

road-dawgs1

Quote from: FastAire on March 16, 2009, 10:26:07 AM
just curious, will the 08-09 bracket fit an 07 SG ?

I doubt the 09 bracket will fit, whole new frame and has the engine rubber mount on each side so the bolt holes are prolly different.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Jim B.

My 09 Road Glide is my first Harley-Davidson and I've been bothered by the extreme leaning on the jiffy stand since I bought it. It leans twice as much as my Goldwing and my previous 05 Honda Shadow Sabre. I'm calling customer service in the morning. Thanks for the post on the correct part number to correct the problem.

JONNIEROCK

JIM B.
  I'm in the same boat. Please post your results, after you talk to MOCO customer service, and let me know how you made out.
                           Thanks Jonnierock
You think you have problems. My first wife died, and my second one won't !!!

timvan

I had this done under warranty via a tel call to cust service.. Much Better than before :)

wavlovr1

The label on my sg just says "Oct. 08"

What digits of the serial number gives you the day?

jimbob

payday

When you call, you must the the bike VIN number available. They can take it from there.

TS

seattledyna

I just compared mine to the pics, looks like i have the correct bracket, according to the labels on all the painted parts of the bike the approximate assy date was Nov 15th 08, pull a side cover off and look at the paint inspection tag, it should give you an idea of when the bike was built.

kingvvk

HD customer service told me that this will be a recall going out to all dealers next week.

seattledyna

Jim B.

Jonnierock,

You wanted to hear back from me once I talked to Mother Harley about the jiffystand on the 09 Road Glide. I called customer service this morning and got a very nice lady on the phone. I explained to her that my 09 Road Glide was leaning more than I thought it should and that I had seen posts on this forum about a replacement for the jiffystands on 09 Road Glides made before October 2008. She confirmed the accuracy of my info. She asked for my VIN and found that my bike was make in July 2008. It therefore has the old bracket and qualifies for the replacement. She then gave me a case number.

She said that she would call my local dealer within 10 minutes and that I could then call the dealer to arrange for an appointment for the work. I called my dealer about 30 minutes later and found that the nice lady had done exactly what she promised. My dealer has ordered the bracket and it should arrive in a few days. My dealer will then call me to come in and get the bracket installed free of charge.

The nice lady also told me that Mother Harley is issuing a bulletin to alert all dealers about the problem. That will save owners from having to call into Mother Harley for a case number. They will then be able to contact their dealer, who will then order the bracket and do the work.

Jim 

payday

I just called the listed number about my two "09"'s. They told me thaey could not tell me if my bikes were involved using the VIN number. They told me to contact my dealer for identification and replacement if applicable.

TS