May 04, 2024, 10:05:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How do I cut a Formica Counter Top.............??

Started by JamLazyAss, March 12, 2009, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I plan to buy one from Home Depot.
It is eight feet in length.
I only need approx seven feet.
This countertop appears to be made from a particle board material with some sort of formica on top.
What is a good method to cut this without destroying the formica?

I have heard about placing tape on it where the cut is going to be to minimize chipping.
Does that work?
Is there a better way?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

road-dawgs1

I believe it gets cut with a router, but not sure.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

cig

Use a strait edge, powersaw with a good blade (carbide prefered) and cut from the bottom.
cig 
Alton, Illinois

Big_Bulky_RK

If you get a countertop that is longer than needed, I have had good luck using a circular saw with a fine blade. 40 tooth carbide works fine.  I use duct tape on the top side to protect the finish. Sand the edge when done.
I have found a kitchen wholesale house 15 mins from me that have chipped or misordered counters and cabinets at a very reasonal price.  I bought a 12 foot finished counter for a workbench for $45.  They supply the local Lowes store.  Most all the Lowes, Home Depot, Menards get their custom counters from a local kitchen shop.
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

Low Glide

PoorUB

Cig has it right, skil saw, fine blade, cut from the backside. Use a straight edge to guide the saw if you want to make sure you get a nice straight edge.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Big_Bulky_RK

Yes I left out the part about cutting from the bottom. sorry
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

Snuff™

After cutting with a power saw ( I've used both circular and a sawzall) use a large flat file to get any irregulars out of it. You can chamfer it at any angle to match others.

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

JamLazyAss

Then the plan is:

Go buy a new fine tooth blade for my circular saw...
Duct tape the fomica side...
Measure and cut from the rear / bottom side...

And hopefully the formica won't splatter and crack all over.
Ok, I'll try to get things ready and give it a shot over the weekend.

I'll let ya's know how it goes.
Thanks guys.

Rugby_fxdwg

March 12, 2009, 04:57:02 PM #9 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:59:26 PM by Rugby_fxdwg
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on March 12, 2009, 04:10:39 PM
I believe it gets cut with a router, but not sure.
+1 Router!   :gob: DO NOT USE A SAW, YOU WILL CHIP THE FORMICA!
The saw blade moves to slowly compared to a Router bit on a very hard surface...Only use a router....
Trust me, dont ask me how I know....
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

JamLazyAss

Snuff™

I use a router on formica before I've laminated it to the wood or along the edge of a laminated piece, But cutting a countertop 1.5" thick, I use a saw.

-Snuff :beer:

I guarantee you'll remember it longer if you do it the wrong way first :wink:

JamLazyAss

I guarantee you'll remember it longer if you do it the wrong way first

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid...

rihdrkc

I used a skill saw with a fine blade and taped the top, worked well. If I were to do it again,  I would most likely use a Roto-zip or a router though. Try a spot that will be scrap before you make the final cut.

Snuff™

specialx1

long as your cutting a foot off why not cut cpl inches of first to check it out!!you got lots of extra to work with,
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

stro1965

PoorUB

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 12, 2009, 04:56:25 PM
Then the plan is:

Go buy a new fine tooth blade for my circular saw...
Duct tape the fomica side...
Measure and cut from the rear / bottom side...

And hopefully the formica won't splatter and crack all over.
Ok, I'll try to get things ready and give it a shot over the weekend.

I'll let ya's know how it goes.
Thanks guys.

I will meet you in the shed and we can cut it then!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Dennis The Menace

router.  or, use a saw blade and a big tube of caulk to cover the splinters, cracks and chips.

menace

Evo1

In a previous life I used to make countertops. You can cut them a little long (1/4" to be safe) using a jig saw cutting from the top side (use a new sharp blade) cut slow. You want to put tape on the bottom of the saw so you don't scratch the c-top. If you are careful you will not have any large chips. After the cut is made use a belt sander to sand the edge down to the pencil line that indicates the finished lengeth. You can also cut from the bottom side if you wish.

theRAVE06

Specialx1 has it right with the option's given.
    Dave.

Tow-Truck

As others say, using a circular saw do it from the bottom with tape on the formica side. Additionally cut in from one edge about an inch then start the cut again from the other edge, this stops the splintering when the blade bursts through at the end of the cut. I did this when Iinstalled my kitchen, using a rip saw blade(!) it left razor sharp, crisp edges that needed no filing. A length of angle iron clamped to the board as a guide for the saw makes the job easy.

the Grump

If you're going to use a circular saw, try a plywood blade, a jigsaw, try a metal blade. A router is definately the way to go. I believe its a 7 degree chamfer. Cut it close to size then clean it up nice with a router. Always with a bearing bit!

ctree

Follow whot Evo1 said. I've cut many countertops using a jigsaw and a straight edge. If you cut from the top side, try to find down cutting blades for your jigsaw. Use tape. Use a sander to finish up to your mark.
Dennis

Panzer

A lot of suggestions here, top, bottom, geeeeze.
I think I'd go with Special's suggestion....read up.

One other suggestion...........let the wife do it.
If she screws it up, you won't get the flack.
Your choice.....flack or no flack.  :smilep:

If mom's not happy, nobody's gonna be happy!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.